PDA

View Full Version : what is a normal heart rate?

lo89
30-01-13, 00:12
Hey, just wondering if anyone had any idea whether it would be worth seeing my GP about this or if it sounded pretty normal to you guys. It's not one of my huge health anxiety triggers but it does bother me from time to time.

My resting heart rate is really high. I have been lying in bed for about 20 minutes and it is 90bpm. I am 23 and my BMI is 23 so I am not overweight at all. My doctor has commented on slightly low blood pressure, but not so low that she would be concerned (I only had it taken because I was getting the contraceptive pill) - but when I had my pulse taken in the hospital (pregnancy related, so again they were not worried about my heart specifically) they had to have three nurses check my pulse as it was so high. I explained that my heart rate is also on the high side, and I guess the worry would have put it up some more, but they still suggested I went to my GP, which I didn't do due to my health anxiety.
I go to the gym a fair amount (although I am still unfit) and my heart rate frequently goes into the 180-200bpm range which is high for my age. Does this sound like I should get a check up or do I sound normal?

RVP
30-01-13, 00:31
I used to constantly stress over my HR, I would do excercise and worry why my HR isn't going down after I've done excercise.
When I used to focus on my HR it would always stay above 80.
Also, HR in the range of 180-200 for a 23y/o is completely normal, they normally say something like 220 takeaway your age is your maximum HR, but everyone's max HR is different, some people feel like they'll pass out after 160.
When I stopped focusing on my HR it went down dramatically, I know easier said than done but try not to focus on your HR for a few days, don't take your pulse for a couple of days, the longer you can the better, and then take it when you're relaxed watching tv for example, and not focusing on HR.
I'm not sure how you're taking your pulse but for a quick pulse check (when relaxed ofc) just do it for 10seconds and x6 that way your HR shouldn't go higher from anxiousness.

lo89
30-01-13, 00:47
That's the thing, I rarely to measure my heart rate (maybe once a month I will do my resting rate, but the gym machines automatically measure and display my heart rate so I can't help it) it has been high for as long as I can remember and I also breathe fairly heavily and quickly. I know my maximum heart rate should be about 200 but mines can get there within about 10 minutes of cardio exercise which I think is too quick! Don't want to go to my GP or google this as I am really working hard to keep my anxiety at bay but I can't help worrying sometimes.
I usually do 20x3 to get my heart rate and this seems to work as I lose count if doing it for a minute, lol.

RVP
30-01-13, 00:51
When your HR reaches 200 what excercise are you doing? and what's the intensity like?

lo89
30-01-13, 01:10
It happens on the bikes, ski machine or cross trainer. I also do the rower and I feel the same level of "burn" but it does not measure your heart rate. I am going what feels like flat out to me but not particularly high according to the machine - maybe about 1/4 of full pelt? If that!
I guess I am probably just unfit Thu, but when I go to the doctor I worry so much that my heart rate will go through the roof and they will probably send me straight to a&e haha!

Arnie365
30-01-13, 05:34
Being anxious about your heart rate will get it up quicker. I'm exactly the same when at the gym. I was on the treadmill a few weeks ago and was running, fairly brisk but not out and out sprinting for about 10mins. I got the urge to check my heart rate and grabbed the sensors. It was 200bpm. I freaked because I'd never seen it this high. Needless to say it took well over an hour to come down to normal (which for me is about 60bpm but we are all different!). I know now that it was my anxiety whilst running that probably pushed it higher than before and then my major anxiety after which kept it high. I don't check my heart rate at all now at the gym and haven't had a problem since.

When you say it's automatic you must be holding a sensor somewhere? Can you just not hold the sensors?

hanshan
30-01-13, 10:27
If your resting heart rate is 120+ bpm for a couple of hours and won't go down, even if you are perfectly calm, then it's time to check in with the doctor.

That said, a lot of people experience episodes of rapid heart-beat (tachycardia), but by the time they see the doctor it has subsided. However, persistent tachycardia should always be investigated.

(I've experienced both atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation for the past five years or so - both heart rhythm problems that lead to tachycardia or irregular heartbeat, but which are quite manageable with proper treatment.)