PDA

View Full Version : Music and anxiety; are they linked?

drponyslayer
30-01-13, 10:27
I often wonder if music can influence anxiety or subside it. There's certain types of music i listen to that makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry in the corner of my room, but then there's music that makes me think "EF-YEAH! I CAN TAKE ON THE WORLD!" and i have little to no anxeity worries. Could this be a possible link to it? I know music can influence people anyways depending on genré and such, but do you think it happens more with people who are anxious/depressed? I'm interested to know....although i probably sound stupid asking...

wendy35107
30-01-13, 10:31
You don't sound stupid at all.

Music very much effects my mood, but I suppose it's different for everyone. I actually have an anxious playlist on my ipod for when I feel like I'm spiralling out of control, it just makes me feel instantly better about myself if I belt out certain songs.

Equally though, sad songs or ones that have a deep meaning to me can drag me down. I even went through this phase where I couldn't listen to any song that had the words heart or heart attack in it as I'd automatically start to feel the usual panic rise.

I think it's pretty interesting too.

sjane
30-01-13, 10:34
When I was single I used to listen to my ipod in bed and let it take me away from my worries. I can't really do that now because my partner get disturbed :)
Even though I'm on Cit now, I still lay and worry about the day, work, money and anything else that worries me.

Yes I think music can help soothe and change your mood.

drponyslayer
30-01-13, 10:54
Interesting responses so far :3 I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks music can help. My girlfriend listens to all sorts of music and different styles affect her differently as well.

unspoken
30-01-13, 11:04
Definitely. The song Teenage Riot by Sonic Youth always makes me feel better. I don't know why, there's just something about the guitar riff in it.

Whereas Modest Mouse, depending on my mood, may or may not be helpful. Often they can make me feel more depressed but sometimes I just want something that fits my mood and understands how I feel and they've got some great songs for that.

At work I use music to keep me focused and block out other people's conversations. Lately I've got into more uplifting cheesy mainstream music like fun. - It Gets Better, a song that annoyed me at first but then I got hooked on.

swgrl09
30-01-13, 12:43
Agree totally. Some songs, whether purely instrumental or with vocals too, can touch feelings that we are unable to verbalize yet and that can be therapeutic. I want to look into music therapy more actually to see how it works.

So sometimes I have my songs that help get me out of depression and motivate me, other times I need something that will express what I am feeling because I can't find the way to express it myself so it may be a sad song, but after I'll feel better.

clarrie
30-01-13, 22:02
Music and anxiety are definitely linked for me. Music is the big passion in my life and I once had opportunities to make a career of it, playing in several bands, but unfortunately my anxiety meant I suffered quite badly with stage fright. I never actually missed a performance or messed things up thank goodness, but I could never really enjoy myself either because I got so ridiculously nervous. I gave up performing quite a few years ago but I've carried on writing and recording stuff at home for fun. But these days even that is getting tricky because I find it too stimulating. ( I know how daft that sounds!!) I get tunes and arrangements going round and round in my head and then I can't sleep. I love the creative process and yet I can't cope with the physical side-effects from the adrenaline and everything. I find myself trying to avoid all stress now even when it's positive.

But yes I agree, music definitely affects my mood. Certain songs give me a lift every time I hear them and others are really soothing.

CelticZebra
30-01-13, 22:14
Music IS linked to emotion, it's been proven.
I'm going through a phase of having the car radio tuned to classic fm because there's a limited amount of lyrics and it takes me back to when I was younger and more free/happy.
IMHO music is definitely linked to mood... Our wedding song always makes me feel good because its linked to happy memories.

missfishlash
30-01-13, 22:30
Music is amazing
Its a massive part of my life, and I noticed that I have been so bad this last minth and I have stopped listening to music, so I have started forcing myself to have it on again as part of my mission to get myself sorted, and its helping a lot to get me motivated again, just one small part of the feel good puzzle I think, but every little thing helps

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

I was dancing round the kitchen to Rage Against The Machine last night :)

beBRAVE
30-01-13, 23:03
You don't sound stupid at all.

Music very much effects my mood, but I suppose it's different for everyone. I actually have an anxious playlist on my ipod for when I feel like I'm spiralling out of control, it just makes me feel instantly better about myself if I belt out certain songs.

Equally though, sad songs or ones that have a deep meaning to me can drag me down. I even went through this phase where I couldn't listen to any song that had the words heart or heart attack in it as I'd automatically start to feel the usual panic rise.

I think it's pretty interesting too.

I like this idear of making a playlist on my ipod, Music sometimes makes me feel sad, ive never thaught of making it make me feel happy.

I will try this theory out and let you kno how i get on.

Cheers
Jason x

P.s
I tryed to mini quote, but i couldnt work it out sorry

rb1978
31-01-13, 01:13
Music definitely helps me to feel calmer. I'm a classical music fan and if I'm feeling anxious or depressed, I'll put classic fm on and curl up on the sofa with it. Also find that having it on v low in the bedroom if I can't sleep is soothing and helps me relax.

theWriter30
31-01-13, 02:27
Hi all,
new to forum and to discuss my crazyness openly. I was going to start a new thread, but let's try stealing the OP one :)

My problem for 10 yrs now has been NOISE related. Music played by others annoys me very much, especially bass thumps, i hate , make me very angry and anxious...Any other with my crazy sympthons out there?
I need help

thanks for reading

HErnan

jill
31-01-13, 13:49
Hi :D

***Music and anxiety; are they linked?***

In short NO................

It is sooooo true that music can enhance any mood, listening to certain types of music when you are going through a bad time can make you feel worse and you cry or listening to happy up beat music can help enhance your feel good. Or when your sad listening to music that makes you happy or has good memories can help lift your mood.

This is why we say listen to music that makes you feel good, listen to dance music AND DANCE.:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

We can attache a certain emotion to a song or a piece of music most all of us do this.

Have you ever heard a song and within seconds your mind is in the past, hence the words, Ohhhh a blast from the past, for a split second your back there remembering the time you heard the sound, weather it be a sad time or a happy time, we all attache an emotion to music or sound, smells,touch taste, sight its what humans do, this is normal, so there for it is NOT anxiety related, BUT......

Is possible to attach a strong NEGATIVE emotion to sounds, smells, touch taste feel see and that is when we are acute with panic/anxiety.

Anxiety is the most complicated thing I have ever read about, BUT FOR ME, is anxiety link to music definitely NOT. Its only link is if you have anxiety anyway and you over react to the NORMAL emotion you have attached to the music..

Am I making any sense, not that good at explaining things LOL

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

Arnie365
01-02-13, 05:49
Totally! I don't seem able to connect with my emotions very well. I seem to express my feelings through music though so I'm working on this with my therapist because she asked me to write down over a week my strong emotions. At the end of the week I had nothing written down! Now I'm doing it with what music I'm choosing to listen to and it's changed a few times in the week so guess my emotions have.