PDA

View Full Version : Back pain

RVP
30-01-13, 11:20
For a couple of days I've been experiencing back pain, generally around the spinal area, the top of my neck spine and a bit lower there is dull ache, and abit to the right side of my back.
I know I've been slouching when sitting on my couch using the laptop for a couple of days.
I know none of you are likely to be physio or something but could that have caused the pain?

Normally when I sit at my desk with bad posture I'll get shoulder pain, but never from neck spine and upper right back/mid back

swgrl09
30-01-13, 12:38
I have pain like that a lot from sitting at my desk. I had to get a lumbar support pillow, which helps a little but I still try to get up from time to time and stretch out.

nomoreworries25
30-01-13, 13:03
Yes that could defo cause the pain I suffer terribly with back& neck pain if mine goes on for a couple weeks I see an acupuncturist he's also a trained physio it is pricy but it relives the pain when nothing else works x

Bozzi
30-01-13, 13:53
I've once was a sports massage and physio student and exercise scientist, and I can tell you that it is most definitely the cause of your pain and discomfort.

If you sit slouched as you say, at a laptop you are sitting with a poor posture. You will be putting extra stresses on the top of the vertebrae, the bone structures including ligaments and tendons that's supposed to support your neck in the right position.

Train your posture - sit with your back and neck aligned with shoulders slightly back (this may feel unnatural at first because you are a natural at slouching I'm guessing?) Keep an eye on your posture so you can reduce stresses.

Over a short period the pain will go away (even quicker with back strengthening, neck strengthening exercises and also, self-massage). You can find tons of these videos on youtube.

Slouching will cause you're posture to develop and mature into a curvature appearance (hunchback) in the long term of your back and neck. You may want to correct your posture in the short term as you will find it easier to correct now rather than later in life.

Exercises I reccomend: Back raises (3x10), head raises/side head raises (2x20 each side) and overall stretching all muscles of the neck.

Supplements to aid recovery of these structures in conjunction with exercise will boost results: I recommend protein/omega3,6&9/calcium/vitamin D/water/collagen/glucosamine/chrondrotin.
You can get these^ fairly easy at nutrition shops/supermarkets.

Wish you and your back a swift recovery, Bozzi.