PDA

View Full Version : emetophobia & IBS = Me

beBRAVE
30-01-13, 20:16
Hey everyone, so basically Ive already written half my life story in my introduction,

(I cant post the link to my intro yet)

So as the title says i suffer with emetophobia & IBS, I current am struggling to go to work, my doctor has signed me off for 2 weeks to rest as I was running myself down, im scared to be sick, any feeling that can relate to maybe being sick makes me panic, for example: a full stomach, intergestion etc. I also suffer with IBS, so the combination of the 2 doesn't help as with IBS you get a lot of abdomen pain, I seem to have good and bad weeks/days, I feel as if I have 2 main panic triggers,

1/ when I hear people talk about others being ill I always seem to go down hill, but Im thinking this is due to my subconscious as I can be totally fine and a few hours later Ill be panicking that im going to be ill,

2/ This will sound weird, but sometimes I feel sick-e-fied (i know its not a word) but some days I feel really Bleh, and normal I get a horrible abdomen pain, with this I panic like mad, and its takes me all day plus a lot of relaxing and a wasted day.

I think the 2nd trigger is the worst as i can ignore the 1st sometimes, but the 2nd trigger worries me, I feel maybe there is something wrong, or maybe i am ill, and no one understands what I mean, why am I the only one who feels like this? Ive had blood tests and all sorts done.

Going back through my life, Ive only been sick 4 times,

Once when I was a kid and had high temp(age 5),
Second was when I had appendicitis high temp(18),
**Third and Forth was (age 21&22) with noro**

Basically all my life I was rarely sick as you can see, but when I was 16, I smoked some weed, to impress a girl who was doing it, Its still my fault I know.
What happened, I was left on my own, and I went dizzy, I felt set back in my own eyes, like looking through binoculars the wrong way, and I literally had a two second memory and started to panic, but I kept forgetting everything. long story short, I ended up with panic attacks, that I over come, but I was left with anxiety of being sick, now when I had the nero the first time at aged 21, I was 100% in my life, wasn't nice but I did it and was still alive, but 1 year 1month I had it again, and something snapped in my brain, I now fear that every time I get a stomach ache it could be noro, because when I had the noro, I started with a stomach ache and then its got worse. I suffer with IBS that give me stomach aches all the time, it doesnt help

cheers for reading

Jason x

Angelai
30-01-13, 23:19
emetophobia & ibs = me, too. as well as panic disorder, gad etc... :weep: and I'm the same with the triggers.

the second one, yeah... one little niggle or 'unusual' feeling/sensation and I'm off - petrified that I'm going to be sick. It consumes whole days. I've recently had blood tests (all fine), I'm always thinking there is actually something wrong that isn't being picked up. But, and I've said this before somewhere, I think one of my biggest fears is that there really isn't anything 'wrong' (as in, physical illness) and that it's all 'in my head' (as in anxiety, panic, depression and all that).

you're not alone!

beBRAVE
30-01-13, 23:38
nice to meet you Angelai,

what about this one then, when I feel 100% fine, I worry something is going to go wrong, because I havent felt fine in a long time.

what do you do to keep calm??

I try to keep myself distracted with complex stuff, or I go find a calming place like in bedroom alone and really try to relax,

My Doctor said I have an analistic mind, and that I study every little detail, this can be good, but some times its a pain because I can put 2n2 together and 3n5 together lol

Jason x

beBRAVE
01-02-13, 00:44
Not being funny, but had over 70 views, and not alot of help, could really do with some, sorry to sound impatient

Jason x

nomorepanic
01-02-13, 00:46
I have no personal experience of emetophobia so can't help but didn't want to read and run - sorry.

beBRAVE
01-02-13, 00:50
thats ok, cheers

Jason x

Angelai
01-02-13, 00:53
Yes! I get really scared if I feel ok, I can't relax because I think it won't last. Sometimes I manage to convince myself to make the most of feeling ok, even it's only for an hour, but the fear is always there that it will soon come to a sudden end.

Hmmm, what do I do to keep calm? If it's really bad, I go to bed. I know that isn't the answer, but sometimes I just have to get away from myself and sleep is the best way for me (with the occasional diazepam if needed). Other than that, I fidget, interrogate Dr Google, do housework, have a go at myself, ring my mum... distraction always helps too.

My mum calls it ruminating - my mind just goes over and over and I think so deeply about things, I over-think things apparently lol! Mum always tells me I should find something to do to occupy my mind, that I have too much time on my hands.

x

sunshine8
02-02-13, 06:44
Found it, will message u tonight if that's ok?! X

beBRAVE
02-02-13, 13:14
Found it, will message u tonight if that's ok?! X

are you talking to me?

Jason x

sunshine8
02-02-13, 16:41
are you talking to me?

Jason x

Yes x

Teacher15
24-03-13, 20:06
It's a horrible vicious circle that we have to deal with everyday! How are u doing work wise now!? I'm a teacher so especially find it hard when noro is going xx

beBRAVE
26-03-13, 20:22
i am slowing working throuh it, works still crap, just looking for a new job atm, just been to doctors and got Sertraline for depression as i have low mood, but im worried bout taking new tablets, plus i already take meberine for my ibs and lansoperal for belly, will Sertraline be ok with theis tablets ?? plus it says avoid grape fruite, ??

Rls1994
29-03-13, 21:23
I'm a severe emet and feel sick EVERYDAY and sometimes all day. It's making me really depressed, scared and upset. Today has been OK but still not great. I can't sleep anymore because I feel nauseous. I'm also sick and tired of hearing about noro STILL doing its rounds. I don't work or anything so I highly doubt I'll catch it but still... You teachers, nurses and Mothers are really awesome and strong people. :hugs:

When I feel really fine I feel so weird, because I have had so many bad days now that I can't remember what a good day felt like. Also, when I do feel fine, my brain always finds things to worry about. It's like it's saying, 'This isn't right, you should be worrying about something!', so I start getting anxious again. Ugh.

beBRAVE
30-03-13, 11:35
I Kno how u feel, i used to have good days and always feel like that there should be something wrong with me, so when i did feel ok i felt as if something bad was gna happen.

have you tried distracting yourself or a simple meditation exercise, when I cant sleep i meditate. all it is basically is relaxing all your muscles and clearing your mind and slowing your body down, really works wonders :)

betsylu
31-07-13, 04:53
I've got pretty severe emetophobia as well-I haven't thrown up in about 14 years. A lot of times people say "what? you never throw up? you're so lucky!" but they don't understand the alternative: panic attacks, anxiety, being sick for much longer... People who are fine throwing up can just do it and get rid of whatever is in their stomach causing problems. I hold it in and am sick for days!

I'm working on getting better by addressing my anxiety. I'm trying to get calmer overall, figure out a more relaxed lifestyle. I've started being more comfortable talking about my phobia with people. If I need to leave a situation because I'm afraid of someone throwing up near me, I just tell my friends what is going on. I find they are generally very understanding and it does me good to talk about it.

When the nausea is really bad (I have IBS and GERD as well), I find that ginger and gravol help me a lot, and distraction is the best thing ever. I read internet articles because they are short enough to keep me fully interested in them and my mind doesn't wander. I hope that helps!

Also: peppermint tea helps a lot of people with nausea and upset stomach, but for me it makes it worse. If you have nausea because of acid reflux, peppermint may exacerbate the symptoms. It makes me feel really bloated and burpy and nauseous. I stick with ginger! But don't let that dissuade you, peppermint works for a lot of people. Just try a little at first. :)

Twisted_fairytales
16-08-13, 11:09
What you have just described is 100% me. Its scary but comforting to think someone else like me is out there. Im currently having cbt but am looking into different types of therapy as I do find talking about it helps. My ibs is caused by stress/anxiety so its a vici5 cycle. Im thinking about doing yoga, meditation etc to try and relax myself and also some homeopathic remedies. Have you considered anything like this? I totally understand how you feel and really sympathize, its miserable :( wish there was a magic pill we could take to make this horrible phobia disappear.

frickchick
04-09-13, 00:11
I'm an emetophobe! It rules my life! I can't do anything without thinking will that make me ill! Going out is the worse, I worry what about if I get it whilst in the car or out and about! I'm worse when I'm with someone excluding family coz lets face it your family will stick with you no matter lol! My triggers are endless! I've learned to deal with quite a lot though and just learned to just accept that this is how I am! It's 12 years now I've been suffering I would say and looking back I have come very far which is a very positive thing. It's still who I am though and I try my best to live with it. Sometimes are worse than others lol xxx

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

I also have ibs, this seems common with this phobia! Hmm interesting lol xxx

sofia
18-10-13, 00:39
Hi everyone, I am suffering with this for as long as i can remember and can't pin pointwhy or when this happened...it just did! No one in my family understands and think I am being silly. My nephew was sick last night and my sister brought him to the family home during the night and then he was fine all day but she just messaged again tonight saying he had been sick again. So just as I started to relax a bit my anxiety and fear is again. Im really terrified to catch anything...this is ruining my life. Feel depressed :(

hippygirlie40
30-10-13, 13:43
Hi Jason,

I feel like i could have written this myself...I also have Emetophobia, Ibs and panic attacks....my panic attacks seem to be made a lot worse by the fact they make me nauseous and then i panic even more!!! I really dont know how to calm down, i try to distract myself as much as possible but most of the time i just let it be and hope it will be over quickly...
I think the Ibs is def stress related. I can go a long time (week or two) without many incidents but then whenever i get stressed....or excited about something...it happens. Its hard to keep my feelings on an even keel, but thats what i seem to try to do. But like you, I do get days where i just feel yucky and then i panic....
I'm sorry i cant be of more help, but just wanted you to know you are not alone and i totally get where you are coming from. Take care xx

favouritecake
30-10-13, 15:19
Hi guys - I'm new here but so glad I've found this forum. Just wanted to give some of the things that I do when I'm having an 'episode'.

I make myself watch or do something that totally takes over my emotions. For example, a horror movie, suspense thriller, read a scary book, etc. I know this is easier said than done sometimes to get your mind off of it, but sometimes I feel if my brain has no choice but to be occupied with somethign else, the panic goes away.

I go to a place where it is unacceptable to be in a panic. This is a really tough one to face and do, but it has worked for me. Invite a friend around for a meal or drink, (a friend who DOESN'T know about your anxiety, so you are forced to act normal) go sit on public transport (obviously not touching anything ;), walk around town, go into a shopping centre, etc.

Though I know a lot of emets are too anxious to drink alcohol, (I was until I was about 20) and I am in NO WAY condonning alcohol to treat the symptoms of anxiety, but because emetophobia stems from a lack of control fear, I find that I actually feel more empowered and more in control after a glass or two of wine. Like I said - I am in no way condoning this as a coping tool, just for extreme cases it has helped for me anyway.

In all honesty - if you are in a total uncontrollable panic, get off the internet. It's so tough to do because I know all you want is comforting, but in most cases reading people's stories only flares up the panic. Look at 'getting ill' as a friend you hate, an enemy you've always wanted to tell off - if it happens, you'll kick it's ass and maybe even not care. (!)

Like I said all of this is easier said than done, but you'll get there. Best of luck.