PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other 'older' people on here?

Coppernob
31-01-13, 10:33
Hi, I joined this forum a few weeks ago mainly to find out about other people's experiences with mirtazapine, but I have found other areas of the site very useful too.

However, most people on here seem to be in their 20s, 30s or 40s and I just wondered if there were other folk nearer my age. I reached 70 last year and I think that was at least one of the triggers for my anxiety and depression.

It would be nice to know if there are others here will be able to understand the particular problems associated with anxiety in older people.

Chris

nomorepanic
31-01-13, 10:43
Hi Coppernob

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

ricardo
31-01-13, 11:06
Coppernob ( nice name :ohmy: ) you will be surprised how many are in The Saga family on here. There is quite a high percentage of over 55's up to 70 + on here.

Welcome to NMP

Annie0904
31-01-13, 11:10
I am 55 next week. Like Ricardo said there a quite a lot of us 'young at hearts' on here :)

Baggs
31-01-13, 11:11
I'm an older person - pleased to meet you.

Baggs

Coppernob
31-01-13, 12:07
Good to hear from you all. Thanks for responding.

It seems to me by my age I should have learnt to deal with things and not be scared! I refuse to wreck the rest of my life feeling like this - but I haven't worked out how to get rid of it yet!

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Coppernob ( nice name :ohmy: ) you will be surprised how many are in The Saga family on here. There is quite a high percentage of over 55's up to 70 + on here.

Welcome to NMP

Glad you like the name - I used to be a natural redhead, but now my hairdresser helps me keep it more 'light gold' :D (at a price :ohmy: )

Magic
31-01-13, 12:18
Hello Coppernob,
Lovely name. Yes I am older, not 70 yet though, but getting there.
No it does not matter how old you are we have highs and lows too.
:hugs:xx

Vanilla Sky
31-01-13, 13:47
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

clarrie
31-01-13, 14:24
Hi there. I'm 55 and back on the anxiety merry-go-round. Like you I feel I'm old enough to know better and I'm annoyed with myself for allowing it to sidetrack me. I retired from working relatively recently and thought that once I'd escaped from the stresses of the office I'd be having a lovely, anxiety-free life. It doesn't seem to work like that though!

xdavex
31-01-13, 15:11
Its a strange one for me, - I'm 46 but most people would guestimate I'm 36 , though I sometimes feel like I'm 56 !

Coppernob
31-01-13, 15:45
Hi there. I'm 55 and back on the anxiety merry-go-round. Like you I feel I'm old enough to know better and I'm annoyed with myself for allowing it to sidetrack me. I retired from working relatively recently and thought that once I'd escaped from the stresses of the office I'd be having a lovely, anxiety-free life. It doesn't seem to work like that though!

I retired more than 10 years ago and for nearly 10 years it was absolutely fine, I've always been very involved with Church and charities and kept busy, and I still am, but last year I began to be very fearful of not having enough to do, and I now panic whenever I don't see an immediate interesting task to do - which means there's no excuse to avoid housework! Stupid, isn't it?:wacko:

JohnBliss
31-01-13, 18:37
Hi there
69 years old and still suffering anxiety on a daily basis as I have done for thirty years. I've just come to accept it and not let it get me down
Regards
John

Tish
31-01-13, 20:00
Hi Coppernob and welcome to NMP.
Isn't it strange how you got to your age and then started suffering? I've not heard of that before.
I'm 55 in March.

Tessar
31-01-13, 22:09
Well I thought I was middle aged @ 49 (50 soon) and from wot I've seen here, does that mean I'm right...... :-( Not sure wot to think......

linjoy
31-01-13, 22:26
HI
I'm 64

pinkdove
31-01-13, 22:32
:welcome: chris, yep im another one over 55,so quite a clan i see, but we are all here for you regardless of age xx

Coppernob
01-02-13, 09:23
Hi Coppernob and welcome to NMP.
Isn't it strange how you got to your age and then started suffering? I've not heard of that before.
I'm 55 in March.

To be honest it's not the first time I've had such problems, I had about 3 episodes in the past when I suffered anxiety and was put on anti-depressants, but there was always an identifiable 'reason' for the anxiety, either a real health problem or a stressful situation, and I always got better on the tablets fairly quickly and came off them without difficulty. And all that was a long time ago, when I was in my 40s and 50s.

I really think turning 70 seemed like a 'milestone' when all the things I feared became much more likely and it felt like 'all downhill from here'. Absolutely stupid, because I'm physically pretty fit and everyone says I look very young for my age, and 70 is only a number, after all. But both my parents died in their 70s, though from heart problems that nowadays would be identified and treated, and I think perhaps that plays on my mind.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. :)

Magic
01-02-13, 09:32
Hi Coppernob,
I forgot to say that i have not had any experience with the drug you mentioned.xx

melvin
01-02-13, 20:00
hi im 51 and iv had it since i was 17

ammiemum
02-02-13, 07:56
yes + side of 50 too.... so, when do i actually feel 'grown up?

Tessar
02-02-13, 08:18
yes + side of 50 too.... so, when do i actually feel 'grown up?
i dont feel like a grown up, never have, my age says i am but it doesnt feel like it, well, except when my bones creak i suppose