PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Cathyt
31-01-13, 13:16
I have chronic insomnia and wondered if anybody can help. I haven't closed my eyes for 4 nights now and have very sore eyes and a sore mouth from a post from a bridge that fell out sticking in my tongue. I was told to try reverse psychology and tell myself i wasn't going to sleep but that didn't work. Last night i drank a bottle of wine but it just madw me feel worse. Can anybody help please? Cathy

semper solus
31-01-13, 13:37
why not try drinking some camomile tea before trying to go to bed, also Lavender has a soothing effect. Lavender oil for candle burners. put it by your bed an hour or so before going to bed. Or try having a little read while you are laying in bed some people find that relaxing.

Good luck

Magic
31-01-13, 14:58
Cathyt,I have had chronic insomnia nearly all my life--as long as I can remember.
I have tryed (over the years) all sorts of herbal remedies, including seeing a private
herbalist --not cheap, anyway I take sleeping tablets now and they don't often
work. I was up one morning this week at 2.30am even though I had been busy all
the day before. My hubby goes to sleep without any trouble which is annoying!!!
Needless to say I get grumpy if I cannot get to sleep.
Try the camomile tea, may help. I used to use the proper flowers, but I think its in bags now:hugs:

TotallyBonkers
31-01-13, 19:39
I too suffer from insomnia and boy does it wear you down. Nothing worse than a house full of sleeping people when you are sat watching the clock waiting for sleep to take you.

I have found that if I can not sleep then I at least need to learn to relax my body after all any kind of rest is better than none.

What I do is have a nice hot bubble bath to relax me, I also work on my body releasing tension. This is how I do it.

Lie flat on your back in bed, then starting from the toes, tense them up and then release x3
Then move onto the calves doing the same thing
Then the thighs
stomach
chest
fingers
hands
arms
shoulders remembering to do it three times on each one
This helps to remove any tension in the muscles and helps to relax, and can help you get to sleep.
Hope this helps you a little.

Arnie365
31-01-13, 19:54
The relaxation technique is good. Another good trick is to count backwards from 500 in your head. As soon as you nod off or lose where you were up to, force yourself to start back at 500 and start counting again. It takes some training and might not work for a few nights but you will train your brain its time to sleep when you do this as you will bore your sub conscious. Works really well for me. I can now go to sleep at about 470 whereas I used to get down to 200 at first