PDA

View Full Version : ESA / Medical

CameronG
31-01-13, 15:12
Hi guys, looking for a bit help, I'm currently receiving ESA benefit due to me being off work on the sick but not entitled to SSP from my employer as my earnings were too low, I've now been asked to attend a medical on the 11th of February which I know I will not be able to attend due to my anxiety / panic attacks, I can barely cross the doors let alone travel 10 mile, have a medical then 10 mile back. Is there any alternatives like someone attending my home or something's.

Thanks,

Cam

Annie0904
31-01-13, 15:20
You will be lucky to get them to your home. I got shouted at down the phone when I asked and even my MP has asked on my behalf and has been ignored! Mine is tomorrow morning and I have been anxious about it all week, cried down the phone to them but as I say only got shouted at down the phone. I sent them a letter from my doctor saying I shouldn't be attending meetings as they increased my anxiety and panic. They took no notice of that and told me I would have to get the doctor to say I can never, ever leave the house! Which I can't do as I do sometimes leave the house. My Step daughter is going with me and if I cry and panic then I guess they will see how it affects me, not that I think they will care or even notice :( Sorry I can't give anything positive on this but I am not sure there is any one out there who have had a good experience with them. I will let you know tomorrow how mine goes.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Also from what I have heard, it isn't actually a medical..I think they just ask questions but will let you know tomorrow.

jill
31-01-13, 15:21
HI hUN :D

You can give them a ring OR get someone to ring for you and tell them your situation and they can come to your home..

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

Dazza123
31-01-13, 15:52
You can get a letter or ring, and your doctor can demand a home visit, but it doesn't mean it will happen. Also if you are able to visit your doctor they will assume you can visit them, no difference in their eyes. They are concerned with their assessment, not you. I tried for a home visit before and got nowhere, and I also have similar problems to you. Not trying to sound harsh obviously, just letting you know what they are like. You may be lucky and get a home visit, but be prepared to be told no.

To be honest, I'd take someone with you and do it, it's the easiest and quickest way to get it over with. If you need help to keep you calm ask your doctor for a couple of diazepam, that will help you.

I was terrified attending my appt last year, but I got through it, and like Annie I have another one tomorrow, I'm not scared, it's what we have to do unfortunately.

Annie0904
31-01-13, 16:14
My doctor had in the letter that he makes home visits to me but they still say I have to go to my appointment.

irenef32
06-02-13, 20:07
Hi guys , im new here this is my first post. does anyone know why the esa wrote to my doctor, im waiting on a date to go for a medical. thanks for you help

Annie0904
06-02-13, 20:10
Hi guys , im new here this is my first post. does anyone know why the esa wrote to my doctor, im waiting on a date to go for a medical. thanks for you help

I can only guess that they may have contacted your doctor for more info on why you can't work. I didn't know they did that though. They didn't contact my doctor but I got a letter from my doctor to give to them.

bernie1977
06-02-13, 20:48
I got a letter from my Doctor explaining I was agoraphobic due to panic disorder so I wouldn't be abe to attend a medical so they would have to do a home visit. Also if they came out to see me I would have to take a sedative due to the anxiety the visit would cause me.

They never came to see me and put me in the work related activity group. I asked for a reconsideration of that decision and got put in the support group, thank god as there was no way I could get to work groups.

london
06-02-13, 20:54
you need your doctor to fax them good luck
god bless

irenef32
06-02-13, 22:13
Thanks for all the help. this is putting my head away,,,, ( and my husbands) , i cant eat or sleep and the mood swings are getting worse.

Dazza123
07-02-13, 00:29
Irene, it could be a good sign, and may mean no medical depending on what your doctor says. Fingers crossed!

rcs
07-02-13, 03:28
I have been to one 3 years ago and the waiting room can get a bit crowded but once you are in the interview it is alright and the person interviewing you is allegedly a doctor so they should be sympathetic. To be honest i wasn't in the best mood before hand as with most people with GAD i struggle in these situations especially with bureaucrats and ironically a week or so Later i changed to JSA so it was a waste of time.
I treat these events as an exercise in conditioning myself to get used to stressful situations and hopefully these things should get easier!

Good Luck

Dazza123
07-02-13, 09:47
rcs you rarely see a doctor at these type of assessments, its usually a nurse, if you're lucky, wouldnt surprise me if the cleaners step in at busy periods.

Annie0904
07-02-13, 10:09
rcs you rarely see a doctor at these type of assessments, its usually a nurse, if you're lucky, wouldnt surprise me if the cleaners step in at busy periods.

I saw a lady doctor, it must be different in different areas.

Dazza123
08-02-13, 08:40
At mine Annie, some guy went to reception and asked if he was seeing a Doctor, the lady told him only serious physical medical conditions require a doctor, and that he would be seen by a nurse, she also told him there were no doctors there that day so Im very surprised you got to see one, though that probably explains why your assessment was easier than most, because obviously a Doctor will understand more than a nurse. I think you got very lucky there :)