PDA

View Full Version : Am I normal?

LittleSongbird
31-01-13, 14:38
Recently I always order many books related to panic & anxiety & mindfulness to read.

I always go here (this forum) and surf random stuffs.

My boyfriend said that I'm dwelling to much on this and it made him worry.

He said that I should not focus on the "cure" too much. But I cannot back to normal.

I know that he's right but what else can I do?

I'm very despair, please help.

P.S: I was diagnosed with anxiety disorders & panic attacks. I also have a little intrusive thoughts

First time I was panic attack when I was 12, I was diagnosed with Autonomic Nervous System disorders. Then 15, 17, 18 years old I had an attack too. Now I'm 21 and once time (2 months earlier) I had an extreme panic attack that made me having regular attacks until now...

Bel8
31-01-13, 14:59
Hi Little Songbird,

Please post a little more info if you feel you are able to.

It is hard to comment with so little information
Are you just generally nervous or are you having panic attacks?
Are you on medication or in counciling?

As a general comment I would say to let go of normal and accept that you are you ... average or not. If you are just generally nervous then there are many things (read the Articles on this website) you can do, techniques that could help. Failing that if it does not get better and you feel you need help, get it. Speak to your doctor or see a councilor.

Bel8

LittleSongbird
31-01-13, 15:30
Hi Little Songbird,

Please post a little more info if you feel you are able to.

It is hard to comment with so little information
Are you just generally nervous or are you having panic attacks?
Are you on medication or in counciling?

As a general comment I would say to let go of normal and accept that you are you ... average or not. If you are just generally nervous then there are many things (read the Articles on this website) you can do, techniques that could help. Failing that if it does not get better and you feel you need help, get it. Speak to your doctor or see a councilor.

Bel8

Thank you. I added on the P.S

Psychotherapy in my country is very expensive, so I just order some books that may help. But it's not the problem. The problem is "Did I focus too much on this", that I'm supposed to do anything else...

Brunette
31-01-13, 16:48
The more you find out about panic and anxiety, the more you'll learn what you need to do to overcome it.

I understand your boyfriend's concern, he's obviously loves you and is worried about you but explain to him that you are arming yourself with knowledge and that knowledge is power.

The only thing I would say is don't spend so much time reading that you never put any of the techniques for defeating anxiety into practice!

Sparkle1984
31-01-13, 18:02
My step-dad once actually said the same thing to me that your boyfriend said to you! When I was first diagnosed last August, I spent hours on this forum every day, reading up about anxiety and how people deal with it. He worried that I was getting obsessed with it. So I explained that I was learning about my illness and how to cope with it. As long as you use the information to help yourself, I don't see a problem.

CelticZebra
31-01-13, 22:43
I think a balance between researching the condition and trying to live life 'normally' will help.
Everybody needs a break from work, and trying to help yourself is the work we undertake but we all need a break from it.
I find spending tine in nature helps.

Daisy Sue
31-01-13, 23:02
hi LittleSongbird :)

i agree that it's about finding a balance... learn from the books and from the forum, maybe make notes for yourself about the bits which you feel are useful to you, and which might help you when you're panicking, but try not to get too wrapped up in the books and forums every single day..

if you can put into practice what you learn, into your daily life, that's the best way to use the information, i think.

LittleSongbird
01-02-13, 03:10
Thank you, I can't say how much just to thanks to all your caring and enthusiastic.

Maybe I'm finding balance between researching on this and doing normal things (I've had regular attacks for 2.5 months).

Can you guys share me how to practice effectively? I've improved since the last month (without running around and asking for help, and eventually dropping safety behaviors), but when an attack comes, I still feel very scared and bewildered, scared of having a heart attack (although I know that It never happens). But I fear the most is my heart rate will increase more and more and never stop.