PDA

View Full Version : stomach cancer, every sort of bloody cancer!!!!!!!

Justinf
01-02-13, 09:39
I am hoping I can get some replies to help put my mind at rest.
For two and a half months now I have had a lack of appetite. I have started Cymbalta, increased the dose twice, decreased the dose and stopped and then have started Zoloft and increased the dose twice. Went to 150mg on Wednesday and am also taking 50mg of Seroquel daily.
I have been to my GP around half a dozen times about my lack of appetite and digestive issues (mild bloating, diarrhea at times on and off, feeling full sometimes) and each time she has said there is nothing to worry about and that it is caused by the constant change in meds and anxiety.
she has been really good about it actually. Doesn't make me feel like I am a time waster and takes my concerns on board.
Today, she offered a referral for gastroscopy, but said she didn't think I needed it. I have been on 20mg of Nexium for reflux for a few years now. I asked her whether she wanted me to get the gastoscopy and she said no, but she was offering to me as a way of trying to put my mind at rest.
I'm scared at having the gastroscopy as I don't think I can bear the waiting or the results. She wrote me the referral anyway and said if my stay on the my current dosage of meds and I have not improved in three weeks, to go back and see her or make the gastroscopy appointment.
She said I don't have stomach cancer because I have not gotten worse over the course of nearly three months and gave other reasons as well. Her sincerity should have been enough to stop me worrying, but we all know, the reassurance only lasts for a few hours and then the worry returns.
A work colleague of mine, mid 20s about five years had bad nausea and was diagnosed with stomach cancer and was dead six weeks later.
I am terrified, scared and uncertain.
Sorry for the rant. I just needed to vent.

Twinsmummy
01-02-13, 10:18
Hi Justinf

I'm sorry you are feeling so scared, I am going through similar worries at the moment and it is all consuming and exhausting.

When I was younger (teenager) I genuinely had no appetite, I would dodge breakfast and throw my lunch off the school coach and sit looking at my dinner feeling overwhelmed, nauseous and with zero appetite. Needless to say I was horribly thin. It all sorted itself out when I was in my early twenties when I met and moved in with my now husband. I have wondered about why I had no appetite and can only really think of one thing, that it was psychological. I had a lot of genuine physical illnesses when I was younger, my mum is a worrier and I had zero self confidence (still don't), and I think maybe food was the only thing I could control and once I had more control, especially cooking for myself, it all went away. If people can overeat through stress and anxiety, why not under-eat also. Also if you think about it, if you are so anxious your appetite will be affected and the more you think about your appetite the more it will amplify your consciousness about it.

I read something a whole ago about your bodies response to worrying and it said that if you are told that you may be infected with head lice (nits) you will start to scratch and the itchiness won't go away until you are distracted away from it. I think that is true of any worry you are focussing on.

I'm not saying that there is nothing wrong and I don't recognise the drugs you are taking, are they anxiety medicine? I'm not sure why you think you have stomach cancer, I was fixated on it a few months ago and from what I read, the first symptom is usually that you get full very quickly, not have no appetite.

Finally, I have had 2 endoscopies and the doctor was there both times to give me the findings straight after, I think you only have to wait for results if they have to take a biopsy, which they would do as routine if you had any sort of ulcer.

Sorry for the length of reply but as I said I am gong through similar worries with different symptoms so wanted you to now that someone was thinking of you.

I hope you regain your appetite soon, but maybe you should have the gastroscopy just to put your mind a rest.
Cx

Justinf
01-02-13, 10:27
Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply and don't apologise for the length of it. It was very helpful.
The meds I am on are SSRIs so they are depression and anxiety meds.
I don't get full quickly, and in the last couple of months I have always been able to eat. Just the last few days where I don't feel like eating at all. I am a big bloke. 6'1" and 120kg and today I have had two Vegemite sandwiches and a bowl of couscous. That's it. its now 9.30pm and I can't even begin to think about food, whereas in the previous weeks, I would have had a full meal by now. It's such a strange, terrifying feeling.

Twinsmummy
01-02-13, 10:45
Hi again Justin

Jus a thought, it couldn't be the change in or combination of medication affecting your appetite could it? Or maybe affecting your sense of taste which makes food less appetising? Weight loss or gain is common with any medication that affects your brain isn't it? I lost loads of weight on a migraine prevention medication which I think sped up my metabolism but also killed my appetite.

In the UK, pharmacists are much more knowledgeable about drug side effects and interactions, maybe speak to your local one? I had noticed your flag, but the reference to Vegemite really gave it away! Belated Happy Australia Day (think I've got that right?!).

Cx

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Hi again Justin

Jus a thought, it couldn't be the change in or combination of medication affecting your appetite could it? Or maybe affecting your sense of taste which makes food less appetising? Weight loss or gain is common with any medication that affects your brain isn't it? I lost loads of weight on a migraine prevention medication which I think sped up my metabolism but also killed my appetite.

In the UK, pharmacists are much more knowledgeable about drug side effects and interactions, maybe speak to your local one? I had noticed your flag, but the reference to Vegemite really gave it away! Belated Happy Australia Day (think I've got that right?!).

Cx

Justinf
01-02-13, 10:56
Yes,my GP said it could be the change of meds. Thanks for the Aus Day wishes! :)
It's just so weird from previously loving food, to tonight having to force myself to eat something even though the thought makes me feel sick.:weep: I just want it to end.

Twinsmummy
01-02-13, 11:07
It is really unpleasant, I remember. I guess if the medications are working otherwise, this is the side effect you are going to have to put up with, otherwise review the meds again. Try the pharmacist, he/she may have something to suggest, or maybe there is such a thing as an appetite booster (herbal or prescription) that you could take too?

Possibly think about some body building shakes so you don't lose too much weight til it's sorted out?

Cx

Eek
01-02-13, 13:58
Yes it could be the meds if you've just had a dose increase, give it a few days and see if it settles down, hopefully it will. I'm pretty certain some SSRIs can can cause nausea at the beginning or after a dose increase so it definitely could be that. I know it's scary but if you're really worried maybe go for the gastroscopy to put your mind at rest.