PDA

View Full Version : exam panic

HB
15-06-04, 20:53
hey everyone,
I just started my A- level exams today- it was awful- i had panic attacks all the way through it and comldnt concentrate on anythinng apart from calming myself down.

Thing is, it wasnt because i was stressed about the exams, it just being hot in a small room with no one to warn me if someone feels ill- i like to be able to ask constant questions so make sure no one is sick (my phobia) and obviously i cant!!

help! next one is tomorrow and its the one i need to be able to get into lancaster university.

best wishes to everyone, hope you are all well and happy.

H

sarah
15-06-04, 21:32
Hiya

Can you tell any of the examiners how you feel? would it make a difference to you if they knew?

How about asking if you can take a bottle of water in with you due to the warm room?

Good luck tomorrow!!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

seh1980
15-06-04, 21:55
hello there,

Good luck tomorrow!!

Sarah (seh1980)

grace
15-06-04, 22:03
hi h, i hope everything goes well tomorrow, good luck

xxx grace

jo-jo
15-06-04, 22:12
Hiya H

I have just been through the very same thing with my end of degree exams so I know exactly how you feel. My advice would be to get there early, let one of the examiners know before the exam starts that you suffer from panic and ask to sit near the door. That way, if things get really bad for you, just put your hand up and one of them can walk outside with you if need be for a couple of minutes - no questions asked.

You must take some water with you, keep sipping away to help you keep calm. I also took some mints in with me to suck when I was feeling panicky. Try to remember your breathing - focus on making your out breath longer than your in breath. If you do this for a few minutes, your body start to calm down. Also you could try tensing and relaxing different muscles - a little awkward in the exam hall but you can do it with your legs, arms and hands and it will help you to let go of the tension.

I will be thinking of you, good luck - let us know how you get on.

Jo xxx

Meg
15-06-04, 23:14
Hi H.

Get some rescue remedy in your water ahead of time.

Most people get warnings about being sick and will leave the room long before it ever happns so tell yourself that it isn't likely to be an issue at all whilst in that room.

Good luck

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

HB
16-06-04, 08:24
oh gosh, im so touched that you all care so much!! im leaving for my examsoon and all your advice has really helped calm me down- thanks everyone!! im off to buy a bottle of water!! il let you know how it goes :-)

H

twister
16-06-04, 14:58
I have just sat exams at university and I had a special room with only a few people in and an extra 15 mins so that if I had to leave I could. Have you tried talking to the school about it?

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

HB
16-06-04, 19:15
well i took your advice and told the examiners and they were willing to take me outside for fresh air abnd because i knew i could get out i was fine!!!

H

grace
16-06-04, 19:27
great news h,
glad everything went so well

xxx grace

jo-jo
16-06-04, 20:19
Congratulations H!

Very proud of you - hope the exam went well.

Jo xx

HB
17-06-04, 12:12
actually it did- ive been dying to tell someone that i dont think it couldve gone any better!!

H

Meg
17-06-04, 12:17
What a lovely feeling to have after an exam...

Well done Helen, It's so great to know you've given your all and it's been worth it .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

sarah
17-06-04, 17:59
Hi There H

Im real pleased that you did good!!!!

Well done! I hope you get the results you need!! Fingers crossed :)

love Sarah
xx

HB
18-06-04, 12:43
thankyou very much, just came back from another exam- was hard but hey it wouldnt be a challenge if it wasnt hard- perhaps i need to start thinking of my panic as a challenge?

H

jo-jo
18-06-04, 15:38
Hi there H

What a great attitude - if you see panic as challenge that can be overcome then you are most of the way there!

So pleased you had a great exam the other day and got through today's ok too.

Take care
Jo xxx

sarah
18-06-04, 15:44
Hiya H

I totally agree with Jo!!!!

Im glad you are doing so well mate, good on you!!

love Sarah
xx

diana
22-06-04, 01:13
Hiya H,

Sorry to hear you were having a bit of a hard time, but well done you for keeping your cool, and keeping the "PANIC MONSTER" at bay. ;)

So glad to hear that the new exams went so well. :)

We are all soooo proud of you dear.

What an accomplishment.

You are doing great.

Wonderful attitude. Looking at the panic as a challenge.

We all know how well you do with a challenge, so like Jo said, you are already most of the way there (to recovery).

Well done dear.

Keep up the great work.

Lotsa Love to ya.

Diana xxxxx