PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Connecting itself to any tv show/advert

frazm88
02-02-13, 12:19
hi,

does anyone else find that once you see an advert for i.e cancer that then your anxiety just jumps on to it and makes you think that's what you've got? The same goes for tv shows.

It just seems like now there is no escape from the big C and I've pretty much convinced myself I've got it. I'm fed up and embarrassed about going to the doctors.

I've overcame this in the past but now it's came back and I don't know how i'm going to shake it with the knowing it may comeback.

Arnie365
02-02-13, 13:54
yep totally. I have anxiety about my heart and for a period of time every tv show, advert or song had some reference to heart attacks somehow. I must say Ive not noticed this anywhere near as much over the past month or so but if you look hard enough for something you will see it. I think thats a lot of what anxiety is about. Because we are anxious we sub consciously go looking for triggers or certainly take more notice of them. Over sensitive.

I just accepted it. Rather than turning the radio over or not watching tv I woudl sing along instead. Singing about a heart attack isnt going to give you one neither will watching a tv programme give you the c word if you get my meaning.

TheGroundhog
02-02-13, 14:08
I used to find things like this very triggering, but we had to do load of exposure in CBT and had to watch tons on medical dramas/reality shows etc and it really worked and doesn't affect me anymore.

Totally agree that singing is a brilliant diffusion technique, I always use 'Happy Birthday' or 'Jingle Bells' as a tune, HB is good as you can just insert the illness

'Happy heart attack to me,
Happy heart attack to me,
Happy heart attack, Happy heart attack,
Happy heart attack to meeeeeeeeeeeee'

:D
It's very effective.

Arnie365
02-02-13, 14:36
nice tip. ill give that a try.

People without anxiety would think us mad but it makes perfect sense to me!

Ive even found myself wishing a heart attack on before now just so the doctors would give me the proper treatment. Madness! If only the rational side of my mind could kick the irrational sides butt!!