PDA

View Full Version : Lung cancer

Em.ma
03-02-13, 11:05
My mum smokes has astmha .
Over Xmas she had the worst cough ever this cleared a bit but 6 weeks later she still has a bad cough. It cleared and now she coughs all the time.
I've told her if she could see her lungs she would probably stop straight away and never buy a fag again.
She won't listen and she also won't go to the doctors about a new inhaler so of she has an attack she would not have an inhaler on her.
Silly women IMO.
I am terrified she has lung cancer and not long to live.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Also terrified ill loose my job.
Last week everyone got a letter about death at work and had to fill in a form and out next of kin down if they died at work
And I didn't get one! Now I'm thinking its cause their get rid of me.
Also because my floor manager hates me his told all the above management I'm useless can't do anything and will never run the machines.
But I do it everyday! And I'm getting paid less for something I can actually do because mp the person I work with let's me do it.
He was off one day last week and they has no one to run it. He told manager I could do it he point blanked refused and basically said I was useless even though I do it every single day and would of been fine.
I'm terrified as we lost a contract the other week an we may loose another if we loose that then I'm defiantly gone I think.

Annie0904
03-02-13, 11:27
Are you in a pension scheme at work? Only those in the pension scheme will have got the letters.

Em.ma
03-02-13, 11:40
No am not in one.
I did ask someone of they got one to they said yes and their not in a pension but the letter apparently mentioned something about 1 year. And I havnt been their a year.
Just my paranoia playing up.
My floor manager is off for another 3 weeks and the person I work with is 'training' me to run all of it why he is off. So he can go tell the manager him self that I'm more than capable.
I just don't get his hatred towards me.
My mother used to work with him 20 years ago and they were best friends but his horrible to me,
Even someone who I disagree with at work agress I'm more than capable and we've had our fall outs!
I'd hate to think of my life without a job.
It's the one thing keeping me going as at least I have something to get out of bed for. My ha would me 100x worse without being in work.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Probably should of made the job bit a separate thread in another section of the fourth really?:S

Horse
03-02-13, 12:12
My Dear Emma.

Although I rarely comment on your posts (being as you get tremendous help and support from our friends on here already) I do read them.

However, I feel that your current situation deserves my input.

Firstly, the matter of your Mum.
I don't think there is a person anywhere in the world nowadays who doesn't know the dangers of smoking. I have a friend who was terrified of eating beef back in the days of the 'Mad Cow Disease' outbreak, therefore he would avoid anything related to beef at all cost. But he would (and still does) happily puff away on a pack of fags everyday with no worries at all!
Some people you try to help or advise will not take the slightest bit of notice of you regardless of their relationship, love or concern for you.

I would say that judging by things you have posted in the past, life for you at home is somewhat strained to say the least and the concern from your family regarding your own welfare is something that could be questioned!
Surely your Mum is aware that by smoking around other people in the house (if this is what happens) is also detrimental to their health as well as her own. The fact that she suffers asthma is also an issue here. However, if a person will not take any notice of any advice of concern expressed by someone, especially their own children, then there is nothing you can do sadly!

Your concern about your job is probably well justified considering what you have written and with todays unemployment and your anxiety issues of course. However, please remember that there could of been a genuine reason for you not getting a letter and I don't mean that in a negative sense.

No matter what job you have, you will always get some people who don't like you regardless. Let me say quite categorically that you are NOT useless, if you were then the company would not employ you in order to make them money! That is only a persons opinion of you and people are not always right.

What is important is that only you know what you are and as long as you believe in yourself, that's all you need.

Remember, anxiety is only something you suffer from, NOT what you are!

From where I'm standing, you are extremely important.

God Bless you.

Horse.

Em.ma
03-02-13, 13:48
Thanks horse.

Your right about the letter even though I've been told I had to of been their a year to get it I still don't accept that as the reason! Crazy.
I hate that the management above my floor manager only hear what he is saying about me which is very negative things indeed. The other day he was having a go at me and the person I work with about me and the person I worked with snapped at him and had an argument in front of me. He got himself in quite a bit of trouble over it though. I heard him murmur when the fm was having a go at me 'if she won't stick up for her self ill do it for her' and he did.
His also a person that when I first met I wanted nothing to do with him as I saw him as a yob and a typical young adult but I was wrong and he is a nice person.
I feel like my job is the string holding onto my last piece of sanity left in me.
If I can become an operator then my job is a lot lot safer. But they wouldn't let me do it the other day saying I couldn't . I told them if I'm never given a chance then how would I or you know I couldn't.
They told me what the floor manager had said and its all rubbish. Then the person I work with again went off in one (more trouble for him self) yet again. And even a lady I've had fall outs with was agreeing with me and she's very friendly with the floor manager ...

Regarding my mum.
I don't want to it to have to my issue.
I want to think . Well theirs nothing I can do let her get on with it but I just can't.
She will light up indoors then open door and go outside. I've told her to please light up outside but she won't .
My dad was a smoker for 30 years
One day 5 years ago he was having one through it on the floor and said 'why am I doing this theirs no need to' and hasn't touched one since. I guess some people are like that.
Me I've never even tried one and don't want to. Obvious have passive smoked though.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Also my dad keeps alcohol in secret up stairs and drinks a lot his just gone up now and sneaked a shot of brandy down him. Claims its because mums driven him to it his been like this for years and he has regular nose bleeds scared he has high blood pressure and will have heart attack or a stroke :(

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Your concern about your job is probably well justified considering what you have written?
Was wondering what you meant by that horse?
:)

Brunette
05-02-13, 12:29
Emma do you have a best friend you could talk to?

It sounds like you need someone "on your side" who can help you fight your corner. You seem to be the target of bullying both at home and at work and you mentioned, I think, that you used to be once bullied at school.

You get plenty of advice on here but you need someone in real life who will really support you and stick by you.

Em.ma
07-02-13, 18:34
Hiya.
Thank you I have one friend I talk to him all the time about things :)

Em.ma
08-02-13, 23:39
She's still coughing away terrified for her :(. It sounds likes she's vomiting when coughing to

Em.ma
09-02-13, 19:18
I'm so convinced its lung cancer :(
Her cold is not their anymore. It got better but she's been coughing since December Xmas day. :(
Her cough get better but it's started again
Not a cold cough

Em.ma
10-02-13, 10:19
She's got to have it!!!
It's really terrible :(

Daisy Sue
10-02-13, 10:37
hi Emma.. don't jump to any conclusions about your mum's cough... it could well be the after effects of the virus she had at xmas, it could be an infection which needs antibiotics.. and all coughs take longer to go if the person is a smoker.. particularly if they continue to smoke as normal throughout the illness.

really, she needs to see the doctor, and she will know that.. she might be doing the same as you, assuming the worst, and is frightened to go.. but it may just be a case of needing antibiotics, or having her asthma meds altered temporarily.

all you can do is gently suggest she sees the doc, then step back. she's a grown woman, & has to make her own choices regarding her body.

Em.ma
10-02-13, 11:00
Hiya.
She did continue to smoke through it.
Told her of she could see her lungs I bet she would stop straight away.
She refuses the doctors so not much I can do but let her get on with it.
She has no asthma meds and refuses to go get them from the doc.
I suppose she has to make her own choices and try not to let it bother me.
My dad has told her all why she smokes it'll never go away. She feels fine though .

Em.ma
10-02-13, 15:24
She just went for a fag now
Comes in coughing and spluttering with her eyes watering.
I lost it and shouted at her she was going to end up six feet under if she doesn't give up and she'll never see us again.
Feel terrible now.
She's killing her self.
She'll have am asthma attack and she has no bloody inhaler to stop it or she'll get cancer .

Em.ma
10-02-13, 20:49
Really need to go to the docs.
Was at nans today and she said a family member has been diagonised with a hole In the heart and the docs never picked up on it he also had a stroke at 25...
Most of my family has had heart attacks (nans side)
I'm scared silly people just drop dead all the time with undiagnosed conditions and I could be one of them!
He had no indication their was anything wrong with him until that stroke!

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

I know she lung cancer.
She won't stop coughing and its not a cold she's dying :(

Em.ma
15-02-13, 23:03
She's still coughing :(

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

It's surely got to be cancer

nomorepanic
16-02-13, 00:14
Emma it is up to her what she does about this. You are not responsible for her and she knows the risks.

Stop taking on other people's problems and look after you

Gibbo
16-02-13, 00:15
Emma, I have also been coughing since Xmas eve, often til I'm sick....and I have never smoked a cigarette in my life!! Docs suspect that it may be whooping cough, but there is no treatment for it, you just have to ride it out. The advice is if you have a cough for more than 3 wks then you should get checked out with the doc, all you can do is tell your mum your concerned and encourage her to go see someone.

Em.ma
16-02-13, 19:31
Thanks guys.
It's just hard accepting that someone I love could be dying :(
I've bought foam ear plugs as just can't beat to listen to the cough anymore.
I'm terrified tonight that something will happen to me.
I'm on edge and terrified feeling very scared and lonely and cold.
I'm at home tonight. Meting a friend tomorrow and meeting both friends next Saturday for a night out.
I'm just scared tonight for no real reason. I don't know why.
I keep my room really clean in the house as scared of germs but the rest of them live like pigs and terrified of illness from it...
So scared,
I normally move my bowels once a week but I've been four times in last two days even though they look healthy and that's scaring me.
Every muscle aches in my body. My face looks dranined . I'm pale . I have dry skin . My eyes are blood shot and everytime I catch my self in thr mirror I have a terrified look on my face.

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

All this long term stress is going to cause a heart attack I know it!
Occasionally I get s strange feeling which is not anxiety but I know it's a sign of a heart attack!!
I desperately need my cbt referral to hurry up I can't carry on like this.
I'm only 19 and should be living life not worrying about dying.
I want a full health check at the docs so many people in family have had heart issues :(

Em.ma
14-03-13, 04:05
Just woken up from a dream of my mum telling me she has lung cancer.... She's still coughing like this :(
It's cancer right ?

---------- Post added at 04:04 ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 ----------

I just want to sleep

---------- Post added at 04:05 ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 ----------

If she dies (well when she dies as she has cancer) me and my dad will really really struggle.

Em.ma
14-03-13, 19:49
Really getting worried about this now.
I don't see how it can be anything other than cancer :(

Em.ma
15-03-13, 19:00
More than one hundred per cent sure she has cancer

Em.ma
17-03-13, 02:15
I mentioned it to a friend n he reckons cancer to :(. I really think it is cancer. Coughing since Xmas.
She's dying
I don't know what to do
I can't live knowing she's got cancer,
Can't listen to the cough no more. Every cough means its one closer to death.

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 ----------

She won't be here for my 20th or Xmas this year :(

---------- Post added at 01:34 ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 ----------

1:30 am can't sleep knowing she has it.
Nothing else it can be. Nearly 4 months! Cancer...

---------- Post added at 01:35 ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 ----------

Lying in bed sweating like a pig worrying

---------- Post added at 01:38 ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 ----------

Wen she dies me or dad will have to quit for my brother who needs care which means money will become an issue and we will have loads of worries on top of this his dying to so is my nana as well. As she wont take her cholesterol pills everyday only every other day so she'll have a heart attack or stroke.

Dad has a stye on his eye I reckon its cancer plus this:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131588

Ill be the only one left.
I reckon bro has stomach cancer to and one and only friend will have heart attack to as suspected diabetes. Sweating profusely, urinating a lot, thirsty been like this all teenage hood.
Ill be left all alone.

---------- Post added at 01:43 ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 ----------

I can't cope with her loss. How will I do it!? Or get any sleep?

---------- Post added at 02:00 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

I'm the only healthy one in the family

---------- Post added at 02:15 ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 ----------

Really need some help. Can't sleep got to be up 7:30. Can't listen to cough. Have tried earphones reading nothing working. All I can think off. There all dying on me ill loose them all. Have soaked bed sheet with sweat. My back is dripping

Dubbmented
17-03-13, 02:28
You need to stop catastrophizing and assuming the worse in everything.

A smokers cough does not necessarily mean "Cancer". That's why it has its own meaning.. 'A smokers cough'..
When a 'Smokers cough' also presents with..
Coughing up blood
Hoarseness
Wheezing
Shortness of breath
Unexplained weight loss

That's when a doctor's check up is probably needed.

You say.. "I'm only 19 and I shouldn't be worrying."
Well, really only you can stop this worrying, but you're not going the right way about it. When you're worrying about little things like raw egg ? etc.

Are you taking medication or doing therapy sessions ? If not, I urge you to look upon that.

Good luck.

Em.ma
17-03-13, 13:43
Finally managed some sleep at 3am for four hours am very very tired now today.
I suppose your right. The fact that it started as a virus type thing and has carried on for months after makes me think maybe this is just permanent smokers cough???... And is my only hope that its not cancer.
I can't make her stop though.
She's coughs all the time though! Theirs never even a break from it at all.

Em.ma
24-03-13, 16:24
She still coughing.
Since December now. It's not once in a while its all day everyday and its doing my flaming head in now. She needs to see a doctor this could be deadly !?

emeraldgirl
24-03-13, 19:12
If its any consolation I know several people who have been coughing since Christmas (including myself)and not had colds just this cough. i do think there's a lot of coughs around this year but I do understand your worries. Take care.

fruity
24-03-13, 19:26
hey emma. obviously im younger then your mum & don,t smoke. but if this helps i,ve had a cough a month. i am very chesty & i was treated for a chest infec 3 weeks ago. i know i have not had it as long as your mum but don,t worry over anything.

Em.ma
24-03-13, 19:47
Thanks guys she does make me worry!?
She doesn't seem bothered so suppose I just have to not worry over it.

Em.ma
26-03-13, 20:16
She's coughing up sick or blood I can hear her.
She has cancer. This isn't anything else.

swajj
27-03-13, 08:46
My mother in law is 73 and gave up smoking 4 years ago. I have known her for 23 years and for 1c of them she smoked 60 cigs a day and coughed all day and all night. I mean really coughed. Cough up phelgm into a tissue every 5 minutes. (He whole time I knew her when she was smoking she had to use asthma inhalers just to get enough breath and she wasn't an asthmatic. Four years ago she had a severe episode of not being able to catch her breath, was airlifted to a major hospital and placed in an induced coma for 4 days. She gave up smoking from that time. She has emphesyma but it is controlled with medication and she doesn't need oxygen therapy as her a+xygen levels are quite good. Today she is so well that she buzzes around like a chook with its head cut off. Your mum won't give up smoking until she is ready. If she is even talking about giving up then this is a good sign because it means she has made it to the first step - acknowledgement. I'm going to say that your dad and brother are extremely unlikely to have cancer. Go and get counselling before you start focusing on your own health and end up like the rest of us here. I don't know your age or if you intend to have children but assuming you will you need to get counselling because you are likely to start focusing on every minor ailment they get. You don't want to pass your neurotic tendicies onto them. Please don't ever do this! Not meaning that to come across as nasty. I'm neurotic so I kind of recognise the signs. Lol

Em.ma
28-03-13, 19:09
Hiya she has about 10-15 a day.
I have worried about my own health for about three years now. It has recently gone into other people's.

Em.ma
04-05-13, 19:17
Hate to start this off again but she's still coughing all the time. 5 months now. She was coughing to the point of nearly choking earlier :(

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

All I hear all day everyday for her is cough cough cough, its doing my head in!

Em.ma
19-05-13, 21:01
Her cough is getting worse and worse. She's been coughing all day. This has to be cancer it has to be! Been months now :(
Sorry to start this off but I can't listen to it any longer !

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Theirs no break from it either it's constant. Why won't she go and get it checked!? All I hear is cough cough cough one all day long I'm going to hit the bloody roof soon.
She's got cancer and all she says its a tickle in her throat not her chest.
The silly women needs to stop smoking, and go see a doctor before its to late. She has asthma to and refuses to go see a doc about it. She needs a new inhaler she don't have one so if she has an attack she's screwed.

nomorepanic
19-05-13, 22:50
Emma - we have said this before - it is her problem and not yours.

You can only tell her you are worried but you cannot make her do anything about it !

Please stop saying she has cancer when clearly she has not been diagnosed with it. It is almost as though you are wishing her to have it!

Your mum's health is her concern and you cannot make her do anything about it to be honest.

unsure_about_this
20-05-13, 17:14
Hi Emma

I know you are very concerned about your mum with her cough. Like everybody has said it up to your mum if she wants to go to doctors.

My Dad smokes about 15 per day, most on his side of the family smoke either cigs or pipes.

My Dad has a cough smoker, but does not cough all day or night and he says he enjoys smoking so would not stop.

He reframes himself from smoking near me and my mum if we got a cough (as he knows I don't want to breath in 2nd hand smoke.)

My Dad does go to the doctors because he has a medication condition (because we don't know what it is, he has the tablets and know how to control him if it happens), and also his blood pressure was a bit too high, but now is back to normal for his age range.

Em.ma
21-05-13, 19:10
Thanks.
Yes I can't make her do anything about it, it's very hard to listen to I get frustrated which makes her frustrated at me haha.
Oh well can't take responsibility for everything in life

AuntieMoosie
22-05-13, 01:44
Emma please go and have a read of my message to you on your other thread here (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133858)

You are doing it again, this time you're using your Mum to radiate what is really worrying YOU!

Emma this situation isn't going to improve until you take ownership of your own worries and deal with them :)

Please! please will you listen to everyone, we're all trying to help you but we just seem to be going around in ever decreasing circles :hugs:

Em.ma
12-08-13, 18:13
Hi all.
August now still Coughing she is.
She's having a fit at the moment and coughing up flem.
She thinks its a cold you don't have cold for months on end since December this is.
This is cancer that's getting worse and worse.
This is the start of it.

nomorepanic
12-08-13, 18:18
Well she gave up smoking so that is one positive thing

AuntieMoosie
12-08-13, 18:58
Emma the fact that she's been coughing for months does not have to mean that she has lung cancer.

There are more symptoms than just coughing.

Is she still not smoking???

Sometimes when people give up smoking their lungs have a good clear out and often people get a cough, so it could well be that.

Try your hardest to get lung cancer out of your mind, it's only scaring you to keep thinking about it hun :)

Em.ma
12-08-13, 20:33
Hi.
She did give up not for long now. Is smoking now claims its stress.

swajj
13-08-13, 10:18
So did she give up smoking or not? If so then I agree with moosie it could just be her lungs getting rid of the build up. Or maybe she has allergies. You can't just assume she has lung cancer.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Is she using nicotine patches or anything? Some people can give up by going cold turkey - most can't.

Em.ma
15-08-13, 20:16
She did, then started again. :)
No she's not trying to givr up :)