PDA

View Full Version : Aarrgh! Pregabalin woes.

Gilbertine
03-02-13, 18:17
:ohmy:I've been on pregabalin about 13 days now and my tablets run out on Tuesday. My GP wont issue them until the psychiatrist has found out how I'm getting on with it. But she hasn't contacted me.

The GP said that if I haven't heard from her by Monday (tomorrow) then I'm to phone up the surgery. The problem is I don't know if I want to continue with the pregabalin - as it's made me more anxious, hyper and irritable than usual.

I told the psychiatrist that I was diagnosed bipolar in 1991 but she is doubting this as some of my medical records have not been located. I think the pregabalin has brought on a nasty mixed state.

I was hoping to speak with the psychiatrist. Maybe I should try and get hold of her first but I don't know where she's based.:shades:

None of the other medication has worked for me and I feel quite sad that pregabalin is not going to work for me either. The only medications that have worked for me in the past are anafranil, largactyl and benzodiazapines. Apparently, the docs no longer prescribe either anafranil (old type of anti-depressant or largactyl (old style anti psychotic/major tranquilizer).

BobbyDog
04-02-13, 09:38
Contact your doctor to get a contact telephone number or email address for your Psychiatrist, or look on the internet, search for the address that you visit your Psychiatrist.

I take Pregabalin for anxiety and noticed an immediate improvement in my mood, if you are bipolar, perhaps this is not the right medication for you.

Discuss your concerns with the doctor when you speak to him/her.

Gilbertine
04-02-13, 18:58
Today, I phoned the psychiatrist - she wants me to stay on the medication and wrote me out a prescription for two weeks that I collected.

Same dose - 150mg a day, but instead of taking 50mg at night, I have to take 100mg and only one 50mg tablet during the day.

I'm hoping I will get used to this medication (it's certainly not the worst I've been on) and that I will feel some actual benefits soon.:roflmao:

hanshan
05-02-13, 02:19
Hi Gilbertine,

Hope pregabalin starts working for you.

Some psychiatrists will prescribe older tricyclic antidepressants if the newer SSRIs aren't working. They do have a higher side-effect profile, however.