PDA

View Full Version : Cervical Cancer ...got myself into a Tizz

Melon1
04-02-13, 09:48
Morning Everyone.

I have a doctors appointment in half an hour and have worked myself up into a right tizz...

I have had ongoing abdo pains which have come and gone over the last 3 years. I have had ovarian scans and a Colonoscopy both of which showed nothing...

I am now worked up over cervical cancer... I am due my 3 yearly routine smear in August, but am convinced something was missed in my last smear and I have C cancer....

My periods are all over the place. I had a heavy period in November, then an 8 week break wich no spotting. I then had a monster period over Christmas which was very heavy and lasted a full 7 days. Then a 6 week break and I have been spotting since Friday with a few very small clots... what can be causing this? I also have mild abdo pain with left groin and leg pain intermittently. I am soon to be 39 years old.

I had an internal examination by a doc and a gynaecologist a few months ago. At this time I was not worried about CC but they did not spot anyting wrong. Can CC be seen on the cervix by the naked eye? Also, when I had my ovarian scan which was transvaginal, would they have seen my cervix then if there was anything wrong?

I was doing so well and now back to square one again with worrying... Anyone else had this or can give me any words of encouragement..

How accurate are smear tests?

I know the doctors think I am a loon, but I need to be alive for my children so need to get this checked once and for all.

Thank you all so much..

XXXX

TotallyBonkers
04-02-13, 09:53
Hi, please try not to worry, it sounds as if it could be hormonal, if the hormones are slightly off they will give you the symptoms that you are having.

Cervical cancer is something I am petrified of too, to answer your question, if someone has cervical cancer that is in the early stages such as CIS, Stage 1A then it is microinvasive which means can only be seen through a microscope, however in stage 1B it can be seen with the naked eye. This information was on the NHS website. I honestly wouldnt worry too much, but talk to the gp about it today to put your mind at ease

Melon1
04-02-13, 11:29
Oh, thanks for your reply... You should be a doctor, that is exactly what she said. I am having bloods done on Thursday and she is checking for hormones and thyroid. See what that brings up.

She carried out yet another examination of my cervix and said it all looks normal. Just like you said, she said in the early stages of cancer ie cell changes the cervix looks normal but as I am getting tummy pains and bleeding she said if that was due to a cancer, then she thinks she would see something amiss...

During my examination she could see blood, so maybe I am starting my period after all.

Naturally being me, I am still worried that it is something sinister. My husband just said over the phone, 'oh thats good news then', but I am scared to agree to this in case I jinx myself, so I just said 'well let's see'. I wish I could be more positive like him. I did see two magpies whilst driving to the doctors so hope this is a good sign.

I forgot to mention to the doctor that I do find sex a bit uncomfortable and get a bit of bleeding from time to time. I have had this for years. Does anyone else have this? Females obviously lol...

The doc said that smear tests are reliable although not 100%. This frightened me but she said they are used worldwide because they are thought to be one of the most reliable testing tools available and they save thousands of lives per year. My smear is due in August and she said they are really strict about doing them before your 3 year slot is up....

I will see what the bloodwork shows, if it's clear, then I suppose I will have to pay for a smear.

Sorry for rambling... hate this Health anxiety... I seem to lose a sense of reality when it is going on... Have been really relaxed and happy for the last few months, then Bam!

Thanks for listening.

X

TotallyBonkers
04-02-13, 12:07
Honestly dont worry, only reason I said about blood test etc, is because I am going through the same thing as you at the moment. I should have said in my earlier post. I am not going weeks without a period, but they have gone from 5 days to 11 with a mix of brown and red blood. Spotting at the start and finish of the period is what strings them out. I also was over due a smear so naturally thought omg I have cervical cancer, so have had the smear now and am waiting on the results, and just got back from the doctors as had bloods taken today to check my thyroid along with a full blood count too. You are not rambling at all. I can be really rational about it when it is someone else, just not myself, so honestly I totally understand where you are coming from, so if you need a chat I am here.

When my smear was done I asked if it looked ok up there and was told it looked fine, so just keep saying it to myself over and over again to reassure me. I am doing my hubbys head in over it all at the moment LOL, but stress and anxiety can also play havoc with hormones and lead to irregular bleeding and cramping.xx

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

forgot to say I also bleed after sex more spotting than anything and after a few hours its gone, it doesnt happen every time, just now and then, they were not concerned with that as it doesnt happen every time, and that it might just be we were a bit too vigarous (lol).xx