PDA

View Full Version : high resting heart rate?

ItWillPass
04-02-13, 17:25
Does anyone else have a high resting heart rate? My resting rate is often in the 90s-100s. I am not THAT out of shape...I have been having a TON of pvcs and suddenly I am very worried that my heart is just weak from beating so fast all of the time. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

Nico
04-02-13, 17:46
yes haha, I was walking slowly to the car and when I sat down I could see my chest pounding, I am supposedly quite fit as well. I find breathing slowly and not panicking brings it down, if you worry about it your heart beats even faster.
In the doctors surgery my heart was beating at 98bpm while sitting! and the doctor asked me if I was stressed, I said yes and calmed down and so did my heart rate.
Hope I helped
Nick

ItWillPass
04-02-13, 17:54
OMG my heart is going out of control, it is like 150 bpm. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??

almamatters
04-02-13, 18:28
Does anyone else have a high resting heart rate? My resting rate is often in the 90s-100s. I am not THAT out of shape...I have been having a TON of pvcs and suddenly I am very worried that my heart is just weak from beating so fast all of the time. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

My heart beat is rarely below 90, It can go as high as 140 quite regularly, I have a lot of palpatations and random thumping sensations which I assume is my heart. I have had a few ECG's and blood tests and nothing sinister has shown up.
It seems common for anxious people to have a high heart rate and I think if your dr and done the necessary tests and ruled out physical causes then you should not worry too much about it. I try and breathe really slowly when mine starts to race and it does sometimes help the racing sensation.

ItWillPass
04-02-13, 21:01
Thank you so much for your reply. Of course like an idiot I ended up in the emergency room. They told me... wait for it... its.... ANXIETY. It is just so hard to accept. I have had anxiety for years and I have mastered some really horrible symptoms... but when something feels wrong with the heart, it is just so hard to accept. Thank you again for your reply...

HoneyLove
04-02-13, 21:16
I've been there with the heart stuff, it can be scary so I really feel for you and am sorry you went through this.

Anxiety will definitely have an effect on your heart rate! And it can give you palpitations too. So try to remember this and if you feel it racing the first step you need to take is relax.

It's best not to look at your heart rate - I used to do this too. But really it's not good for you, it's like googling your symptoms lol. Unless you have a reason to keep your eye on the rate, then try to avoid it, stop yourself from checking it.

When you begin checking for your rate, and start feeling anxious about it because maybe you start thinking it's higher than it should be, your body will respond to the stress of this thought be shooting out a little adrenaline, which will make your heart beat faster! So if you're constantly checking and worrying about it, you're probably working yourself up to that high heart rate or palpitations.

If I remember correctly my doc said that anything in the range of 55 - 90 is normal for most people, but everyone is different, some have higher and some have lower.

If you find yourself worrying about it again then stop listening for it and timing it, I know it's hard but you need to try. Then work on some breathing exercises like to cool yourself down and you'll find that your heart rate comes down with you.

Sit for five mins and focus on your breath, just breathe in and out normally and focus on the sensations of the air going through your nose or filling up your lungs. If your thoughts drift just bring them gently back to your breath. Or sit and breathe in for 7 counts and put for 11 counts, normal breaths, you don't have to do it deeply. Both of these things will help you calm down a bit and reduce that heart rate.

Every time you find yourself checking that rate then stop and distract yourself.

ItWillPass
04-02-13, 21:22
Honeylove, thanks so much for your thoughtful reply... You are totally right. I need to not give it as much attention. It is just SO hard... I have been dealing with anxiety disorder since I was 20, so that is about 10 years now. I guess I felt like I was a master. I have talked so many people out of anxiety... now here I am again right at the beginning. I guess that is just the way it works.

Jsp
04-02-13, 21:42
I came on here meaning to post a thread with more or less the same subject as you!

I woke up this morning and was walking around the house getting ready, and noticed my heart rate was over 100, probably around 110-120. I was really worrying about it which obviously made it worse. I had a little lay down at the end of the bed in a state, and within, say 10-15 minutes, it went down to around 67. As soon as I got up it shot up to the 90's! On the way to college, it was probably around 120-130 :/

It hasn't gone down all day and I'm so worried about it. I've been getting chest pains as well, along with palpitations, some which are painful. These seem to occur more during physical activity :/. I've had three ECG's in the past year, all came back fine, and an echocardiogram, which also came back fine.

I've landed up in A&E twice due to my heart, once my heart rate was just over 160! Each time it was ANXIETY.

I'm trying to tell myself it's just this right now, as I've been anxiety free for a few months, but I'm not spiralling downward again after a few health problems with my stomach and my gallbladder (pretty sure I have gallstones!)

I hope you start feeling better after your trip to the hospital, as you've had good tests down which shows that there's nothing wrong with your heart :)

HoneyLove
04-02-13, 21:53
Oh I know how hard it is, so don't be tough on yourself. It doesn't mean that you're back on square one, it just means you've got to work a little more on reducing stress in your life so that you don't feel like this straight away if you notice a problems.

I know well how it's easier said than done, and how easy it is to give advice even when you're feeling bad yourself, but the important thing is that you believe in yourself, take it at your own pace and just do your best. Helping people out when you can is very distracting and makes you feel good, and over the years I bet you've learned a lot that others can learn from :)

lo89
04-02-13, 22:12
Hey, just wanted to post my story here!
I am 23 years old, 5 foot 3, with a BMI of 23, so near enough bang on perfect weight wise. I am vegetarian so my diet is pretty healthy, apart from an addiction to diet coke (I will come to that in a minute!) I do exercise but I could do a lot more, I am slightly unfit and slightly chubby but by no means a couch potato or overweight. I go to the gym whenever I can and walk a lot. I also have a job where I am on my feet a lot.

I don't think about my heart much tbh, but my heart rate has always been on the high side. When I go to the gym it can easily hit 180 and with a bit of effort I can get it into the 200s. I randomly tested my pulse last week and got 90 bpm whilst lying in bed (I had not been doing anything to get my heart rate that high may I add! Haha!) I panicked a bit and posted a thread on here actually. It is frequently that high, however yesterday I got a heart rate of 72 and tonight it was 75, but I have had a really stressful day.
Back to the diet coke - the only difference between the days which my heart rate is in the 90s and the days which it is the 70s is the amount of cola I drink. I have cut back a lot over the past week and my heart rate is far lower!
If you drink a lot of caffeine I suggest you cut back a bit and see how you get on.

Gotagetthroughthis
04-02-13, 22:55
Resting heart rates vary greatly but I wouldnt be to worried about its being the 90s. Mine is 40 beats per minute while lying in bed or sitting watching tv. Is this better or worse than a high heart rate?