PDA

View Full Version : Please may I have a little advice?

hannah26
04-02-13, 19:19
Hello,

Ok so last year around september/october time I went to the Dr's because I was feeling anxious having panic attacks etc. I didn't see my normal Dr but like a releif doc. She put me on 10mg of Citalopram, I was ok for a couple of days and then I had a major panic attack, called an ambulance and since then I've had terrible derealisation and anxiety. Everyday.
So now I'm thinking should I go back on them but on a higher dose or should I give them a miss completely? Will they make me feel worse?
I want meds, I think I need them just for now, I'm also doing self cbt and was seeing a cbt counsellor, but I feel really rubbish!!

Any advice would be great!
Thank you
Hannah x x

venusbluejeans
04-02-13, 21:53
I think most meds for anxiety/panic have side effects where it makes things worse before they make them better.

with me I felt a lot worse for a few weeks while they got into my system, started feeling 'better' after about 5 weeks.

I think the lowest therapeutic dose of Citalopram is 20mg and 40mg is now the highest dose you can take........ drs will sometimes start you on 10mg and higher the dose to a therapeutic dose that suits you so that it is not so much of a shock to your system.

As much as I think Meds have worked for me you also need to work on the root of your anxiety as meds will not 'cure' your anxiety but just mask the symptoms but you are doing that with your cbt.

Emmz :flowers:

Noddy
06-02-13, 07:24
Do meditation
Do not give up on therapy
Do something you have always wanted to do but have always put off!
Get this book "The Power of Now".

Taking the meds should just make it easier for you, takes the edge off so you can get out there and be the person you want to be.

One thing I have learnt is that you just have to accept that you are an anxious person, there is nothing wrong with you, you get nervous. Don't try and fight the nerves or try and think of something else as the thoughts will come back. You need to let them be there and let them pass. Breathing is very important. Doing something like Yoga or Tai Chi can be very beneficial.

Peace :)