PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here have GERD or LPR? Struggling to tell difference!

Orange Lightning
05-02-13, 21:25
I've got good news and bad news. The good 'un is that all heart problems are now ruled out. The family history thing in my late grandfather was a blip so I can safely trust my echocardiogram. However my cardiologist bought up the interesting fact that I probably have acid reflux. What they weren't clear on is whether I have GERD, LPR or even anything like an ulcer or something like my GP mentionned today. This is what I experience, but from checking some GERD forums I can see there are mixed opinions on what it could be!

- Mucus in throat
- Tight throat, usually worse first thing in morning
- Some chest and ab discomfort, but not burning, unlike the throat which CAN burn
- Some lightheadedness
- Occasionally food gets stuck swallowing, or pops up again with a bitter taste.

Lansoprazole can take away some of the worst symptoms such as chest and arm pain, but not all of them which is a pity. I've no doubt anxiety is behind some of this, but I'm not sure which acid reflux condition I fit most. I kinda hope it's GERD though, since I REALLY am worried about any throat cancers..!

Nico
05-02-13, 21:54
I have acid reflux too, on meds for it, do you get a cold feeling in your throat sometimes, that is a good indicator of gerd

Orange Lightning
05-02-13, 22:04
I have acid reflux too, on meds for it, do you get a cold feeling in your throat sometimes, that is a good indicator of gerd

I'm not sure if this is the same but my throat sometimes feels airy or I feel the urge to belch.

unspoken
05-02-13, 22:35
I have GERD. Not sure what type, no one's ever really mentioned the different types of it to me. I only read about LPR after someone mentioned it on this forum.

I also have a burning throat in the mornings sometimes and I did have a persistent cough for a number of months which I think was related to acid irritating my throat. I find the worst symptom to deal with is the sudden feeling of something trying to jump back up my throat and the dry mouth and sudden intense panic that I won't be able to swallow it again and will chuck up. I'm emetophobic. It used to be more related to anxiety as I used to feel fine once I was outside in fresh air or at home but at uni I'd struggle with it in lectures and while trying to study in computer rooms or the library.

I used to take lansoprazole, now take Pantoprazole twice a day - first thing and last thing before bed. I also cut out hot drinks, soup, garlic and raw onions. I already avoid fatty and spicy food and fizzy drinks. I try to eat small amounts more regularly as I struggle with big meals and I try to eat dinner early and not eat after 8pm.

Ask your doctor to refer you for a gastroscopy if you're worried. I had one and they didn't find anything significant but at least it rules things out. It's not too pleasant but worth having done. From reading your other post I recall you being relatively young and I think not overweight so not in the risk categories. Do you smoke or drink alcohol? They can both make it worse.