PDA

View Full Version : what would you do??

mila
06-02-13, 15:06
Basically, we had a health screening yesterday. I have been feeling really crap lately so I was really scared about it and also hoping it will all be ok and reduce my anxiety. I’ve been feeling faint and lightheaded and just heavy and light at the same time if that makes any sense. Anyway, first she did my blood pressure and the first reading was 150/83, she was like ok, bit high but not too bad, but I asked her to do it again and she did and it was 112/86! Then she took my bloods. They are doing all sorts of tests, it’s like a well woman screening. And before I left, she took my BP again and it was 127/90 in the other arm now. But of course I stayed worried about it so she said to come back this morning and see what it’s like then. So I went back this morning. And just as she was putting the cuff on me she said how she received some bloods back!! Really right timing to say that. Anyway, she had a look while my BP was getting done (!!!), the BP was 139/084, but I was just thinking about those results, then she said they’re not too bad but she will wait for the remaining one to make any comments. It totally freaked me out. She must have seen something. Why would she say ‘not too bad’ and not ‘it’s fine’… I went back later to give her some details she needed and told her I have been worried about what she said and she was like oh don’t worry, I just can’t comment til I have outstanding test, for example liver test can be raised to do with the osteoporosis test. I mean is that an example??? Or is my liver test raised??? Or what is raised? I am not functioning right now. They are my results, why won’t she tell me. I am going to go crazy til Friday, I am already freaking out something is going on with me with the way I feel. I don’t know what to do, I can’t deal with this. Maybe she will get really pissed off if I go again, but it’s not really fair. If you don’t want to say anything then don’t start it in the first place, like this it only looks like you won’t say cause something is not right… Is it liver, kidneys, coagulation, maybe my cholesterol is high, maybe I have inflammation markers…. L :-( :weep:

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

Should I go and talk to her again? Let her know how I feel and maybe she will tell me?

zippy
06-02-13, 15:23
I think when we have health anxiety we pick up on all the negatives. She probably doesn't know you suffer with this and she won't know by her comment that you will be worrying yourself silly wondering whats up. I phoned for mine once and she said I can't give you them yet because a gp hasn't looked at them and I freaked out thinking why. I think they wait for them all because I have had some abnormal ones before and my gp said it didn't mean anything because all the others were ok.

swgrl09
06-02-13, 15:45
Remember, what one professional thinks is abnormal another might not. I had a nurse tell me my B12 was way too low and when my doctor looked at it, she said it was just at the lower end of normal and probably from my diet. So try not to worry, although I would too just because I have the same tendency to sensationalize.

robin321
06-02-13, 15:53
I can understand your concern. I think we tend to read into what Dr's or nurses say. Our feelings of anxiety can distort or magnify something and make it seem worse.
As an outsider, I can say that I am sure your results are nothing to worry about. Otherwise she would tell you. 'Not too bad' could mean many different things, as blood tests over lots. But most people do not have fully normal results. So it prob means truly that the results are ok.

skippy66
06-02-13, 16:57
You must remember that some health professionals, particularly the ones on the lower rungs of the ladder so to speak, and the student ones, can be awful. One newly qualified doctor supervising my first ever exercise ECG saw some palpitations and said: "don't jog home". That comment set me back 5 years and I will NEVER forget it. Another nurse said: "OOH, you shouldn't be getting palpitations at your age" (I was 21). Clueless bedside manner some of them.

mila
06-02-13, 18:37
Well she called me to come back and give her some more information and I used thst opporyunity to explain how it made me feel and she was like it's ok she wil have a look now she didnt actually properly look at them earlier. So it turned out my creatinine was slightly raised and she said my GFR was fine but when I later checked on google it doesnt seem fine to me although they calculate that from creatinine as well. Everything else seem within normal but I am so freaked out about my kidneys now. I ate a steak meat few hours before the test and I'm not sure if that can have anything to do with it but with the way I feel right now I am really worried about it. My body feels heavy now my legs especially and my head feels fuzzy and light, my eyes sometimes feel like I am looking through glass or something and now I am starting to get some back pains...

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

And thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this, it really feels so scary and alone sometimes and I feel other people would think I'm crazy. But it's so much harder to cope when no one understands and no one wants to listen.