PDA

View Full Version : Went for a drive

Elle-Kay
06-02-13, 14:41
I had to go to the butcher's shop today, and as it was raining I decided to take the car (I usually walk). Once I got in the car one of my "sod it!" moods came over me, so I decided to go for a drive. I told myself I wouldn't have to stop anywhere & get out if I didn't want to, but I was going to visit somewhere different.

Well, I think I must have driven over 65 miles!! I visited two towns, and was out driving for nearly two hours! I did have a number of anxious 'waves' - some worse than others - but I tried to stick by my CBT4Panic know-how, told myself that it was just anxiety, just a mistake, that I was creating my own panic, and that if I ignored it it would go away. During the worse ones (which mainly happened at the furthest point from home, and when I allowed myself to think "shouldn't I feel anxious about this?") I sang along to my radio to distract myself, too.

Though I didn't stop and get out until I got back to the butcher, I still think I've made several achievements today:
- drove outside of my comfort zone
- did something spur of the moment
- drove to somewhere that I hadn't been to before, and didn't know the way to (thank-you "AA glove box atlas"!)
- drove over a toll bridge to cross the river
- drove down a dual carriageway with no/few exits

Thank-you to Annie for inspiring me by making such brave leaps forward! Next time I'll try to stop & get out the car, even if it's not to go anywhere particular, but just to stretch my legs -- I was a bit stiff by the time I got home! :D

gem7
06-02-13, 15:51
well done for going for a drive and next time as you say you try to stop & get out the car to go to stretch your legs rememeber if u do you can always go back to car if its all to much for you

Magic
06-02-13, 15:56
Well done Elle-Kay:)

semper solus
06-02-13, 16:12
Well done!!

I thought I saw someone today driving along with an AA map in front of their face while singing there head off :D

Annie0904
06-02-13, 18:49
Well done!! You achieved a lot today Elle-Kay, 2 hours driving, that is really good news. I drove 3 miles to pick some friends up and brought them to my house for the afternoon. They suggested we go for a meal at tea time. It was dark when we came out of the restaurant and I HATE driving in the dark and haven't done it for over 7 months now but did it tonight. I then took my friends home and had a 3 mile journey back on my own in the dark :scared15: I managed it though but have a splitting headache now :(

almamatters
06-02-13, 19:00
Well done Elle -Kay, some great achievements there. :)

Magic
06-02-13, 19:02
Well done Annie too:) xx