PDA

View Full Version : Coughed up Blood? HELP. ADvice please.

footballking
07-02-13, 01:46
Just coughed up blood, don't know what to do?

don't know whether it's serious

Rls1994
07-02-13, 02:12
It may be something as simple as an infection, or something more serious. Coughing up blood is NEVER a good thing. However, I'm guessing you're young and don't smoke/drink alcohol and is a generally healthy person. If you are, then I doubt you will have anything serious wrong with you. I do advise you to go to the doctor as soon as possible just in case. It's better to be safe than sorry.

footballking
07-02-13, 02:20
What if it only happens once?

---------- Post added at 02:20 ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 ----------

now i might have to go A and e at this time.

Eek
07-02-13, 03:31
If you cough up blood it can come from several different places. If you have a sinus infection with a post nasal drip it can come from that, or from a nosebleed where blood has gone down your throat, or from coughing and irritating your throat which can bleed, or from your lungs if you have a chest infection.

I get it from sinus infections sometimes, do you have a post nasal drip at the moment? If it keeps happening I'd go and see the doctor as you may need antibiotics if it's an infection of some sort causing it.

katielou80
07-02-13, 06:16
my mum had this the other week actually......she went to dr and they sent her for an xray. dr said that it can only come from so far down.......which isnt very far atall. he said its usually from your throat, nose or teeth. her xray was fine xx

Dubbmented
07-02-13, 07:26
The rule of thumb is if your coughing up a cup or more of blood, that is considered an emergency.

If not, relax.. you're fine.

countrygirl
07-02-13, 12:41
Its not an emergency and A&E would only send you home again so don't go there. Noticing blood from anywhere it shouldnt be is a sign to visit your Dr even if it only happens once. The chances are its from something totally benign and simple like sinus infection or bleeding gum or a chest infection but it does need investigating all the same.

So no need to panic even if you do it again but make appt with Dr to get checked out.