PDA

View Full Version : anyone travel on london underground???!?

flowers1983
07-02-13, 09:58
if so please tell me if the doors have emergency open release like overground trains. i asked someone yesterday and they said that indoors can only be opened in emergency by the driver. my fear is that what if the driver passes out and everyone is trapped on the underground? is there a way to break free?

please help i have to use tube on saturday :( im claustrophobic but okay if i know i can escape

Annie0904
07-02-13, 10:57
My son is an engineer on the London underground so I have asked him this question and no there is no passenger button but the driver has to hold what they call a 'deadmans handle' if he lets go off this it will send out a warning for the doors to be opened. He did however say that as far as he is aware no driver has ever passed out and they all have to undergo regular medicals. He also said that it is the safest train network in the country. There are usually only a couple of minutes between each stop so I suggest that you stand near the door then if you start to feel claustrophobic, you can get off at the next stop until you calm down then get on another train. the end carriages often have less people on.

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Also on some of the lines the trains run automatically, the driver doesn't actually drive the train and they brake automatically when approaching a station. The main thing to remember is that it is the safest network and the stops are close by. I actually had a panic attack last time I was on one but just got out at the next station, sat and calmed down then got on a later train.