PDA

View Full Version : Just getting away from it all...

Dazzlar13
07-02-13, 13:46
Hi
Some of you may have read my threads before concerning my issues, mainly with sleep and problems getting off Meds and some rather bad "habits" I have....
I have recently thought about going travelling for 3-6 months mainly for the experience but I feel it may help me quit everything and get a new perspective.
I have worked practically non stop for 12 years in which period I think I went to Ireland for one week and London for a weekend:roflmao:
I'm a 28 year old man/boy have no ties, GF, kids or anything.
Has anyone else on here done anything like this? Has it helped?

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Moved as thought it may be better here

starlight78
07-02-13, 19:42
It sounds pretty exciting. I have a tendency to want to be close to home when I'm anxious, so I admire you pushing yourself in this way. X

Annie0904
07-02-13, 19:45
My daughter and her boyfriend went travelling for 6 months and did some quite scary stuff that increased my anxiety, like cycling down the most dangerous road in the world in Bolivia!

Agent_99
07-02-13, 20:02
When I used to feel as though everything was too much for me I used to take a break and go somewhere on my own, for a long weekend or something. I used to visit friends that lived away or maybe have a city break. I found it really helped me, it gave me a fresh perspective. When I came back I had the space mentally to cope with my surroundings. If you go travelling I really hope it works for you and let us know how it goes. :)

iamlove
08-02-13, 01:55
Yes often when i feel everything is to much i wan't to just go cycling round europe. i have seen lots of videos on youtube of people who do it a lot, get their bike, their tent and stuff and off they go, pure freedom. i still want to go and do this at some point, im 24 male with no kids or gf either so just need to save up i guess.

Dazzlar13
08-02-13, 10:18
It sounds pretty exciting. I have a tendency to want to be close to home when I'm anxious, so I admire you pushing yourself in this way. X
Yeah I see where you are coming from but I'll have no choice but to deal with it so that might be a good thing :yesyes:
Thank you.

My daughter and her boyfriend went travelling for 6 months and did some quite scary stuff that increased my anxiety, like cycling down the most dangerous road in the world in Bolivia!
That sounds awesome but scary at the same time :D

When I used to feel as though everything was too much for me I used to take a break and go somewhere on my own, for a long weekend or something. I used to visit friends that lived away or maybe have a city break. I found it really helped me, it gave me a fresh perspective. When I came back I had the space mentally to cope with my surroundings. If you go travelling I really hope it works for you and let us know how it goes. :smile:
This is exactly what im thinking as well. I kind of feel like its something I have to do :yesyes:
I will definitely update and maybe even get some pictures up.
It may inspire other people as well which would be awesome :D

Yes often when i feel everything is to much i wan't to just go cycling round europe. i have seen lots of videos on youtube of people who do it a lot, get their bike, their tent and stuff and off they go, pure freedom. i still want to go and do this at some point, im 24 male with no kids or gf either so just need to save up i guess.
I'm hoping to start with a company called Thai Intro you should have a look at it. Saving is the thing that worries me the most plus the fact I'll have no job when I come back.
I guess lifes about taking risks though.

Agent_99
08-02-13, 13:43
Hi dazzlar13,

That sounds really interesting, the cycling tour you were talking about, it's a bigger leap than I could handle though. If you start saving, either way I don't think you can lose. While you save you have something to look forward to and work for, which is sometimes difficult to come by in life and also even if you save the money and Decide not to go travelling, you could do something else really good with the money you saved. I think it's great that you're taking an interest in something and how you can make it work for you. Sometimes even looking at things in a different way can bring about positive changes even if you don't do the thing you set out to do originally.
Best of luck, I'm sure we'd all like to see the photo's.

Dazzlar13
08-02-13, 14:02
Hi dazzlar13,

That sounds really interesting, the cycling tour you were talking about, it's a bigger leap than I could handle though. If you start saving, either way I don't think you can lose. While you save you have something to look forward to and work for, which is sometimes difficult to come by in life and also even if you save the money and Decide not to go travelling, you could do something else really good with the money you saved. I think it's great that you're taking an interest in something and how you can make it work for you. Sometimes even looking at things in a different way can bring about positive changes even if you don't do the thing you set out to do originally.
Best of luck, I'm sure we'd all like to see the photo's.
Hi Mate,
It looks very exciting its not a cycling tour its just an activities week to get to know other people who have travelled alone and to get acclimatized to the region (I think)
Luckily I don't have social anxiety but I can certainly understand why it would seem frightening.
I seem confident about it now but no doubt I will get nerves before I go :blush:
I was supposed to be going to Barbados next month but my friend dropped out after I had saved the money so I treated myself to a new car.
So you are definitely correct on the money front.
You should certainly look into doing your cycling trip. If it doesn't work out or it becomes too much you can always come home :yesyes:
Thanks for the words of encouragement :D