PDA

View Full Version : Death

redbaron
05-09-06, 03:19
I am well aware that it is a fairly futile thing to be scared of but of course a phobia isn't rational and this one is no exception.

Can't get over the fear of death, not dying in so far as the actual act of dying, more the abyss beyond, the fear of no longer existing. i guess this will only really have real resonance with atheists, would that I were able to believe in something else byond the grave.

I saw a study in The Scotsman that seemed to suggest that really a great many people suffer from narcophobia, but it doesn't appear to be something many talk about, or maybe it doesn't just keep them awake at nights.

“There is a certain sort of man who ignores his own good qualities but is tormented by his bad ones, this is the man who writes about himself.”
-W. Somerset Maugham

Granny Primark
05-09-06, 13:08
Hi redbaron,

Im certain most people have a fear of death even if they dont want to confess to it.
I know i certainly do.
Take care
LYNN xx

sophieunderscore
05-09-06, 13:17
I know exactly how you feel - yes its normal to be a bit scared of death but i have an extreme phobia like yourself.

I'm more worried about when/where it's going to happen, I don't know how to overcome this fear at all. If you'd like to talk feel free to pm me :)

Sophie

Paddington
05-09-06, 15:36
I am the same RB.I get myselfin a state thinkin about it ,it terrifies me ,why was i born,why did i have chidren just to STOP!iI wont go on or i will kick off the terror again,,just wanted you to know you are not alone .love mary rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

brenda
05-09-06, 15:59
Me too
I have the same fear.

Even tho I sort of believe in life after death I am still afraid that maybe there wont be anything

The fear of no longer existing is my greatest fear.
Somebody said to me well you didnt know anything before you were born so it might be the same as that.

Its hard to think about and I try to avoid it but it is this particular fear that I think has caused all my other phobias such as fear of hospitals, doctors, train crashes etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want
Pam x

rosebud
05-09-06, 15:59
Hi Redbaron

I know exactly how you feel. I do think everyones afraid of it but its just something no one talks about. My Mum and Dad died at relatively young ages and since then i've been thinking about it a lot before then i never gave it a lot of thought. This is where my Anxiety began it absolutely terrifies me. Its not something we can avoid and we have to make the most of the time we are here. This is what i keep telling myself but its so hard sometimes.

Rosebudxxx

LynseyLP
07-09-06, 16:25
Hi Redbarron

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Can't get over the fear of death, not dying in so far as the actual act of dying, more the abyss beyond, the fear of no longer existing.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
This is exactly the fear I have too. I cannot get my head around not existing. I have never believed in religions or afterlife etc, and I've almost felt that people who do are just kidding themselves. But now I envy these people as they can have their belief, and just get on with their lives. My brain just GASPS in terror at the thought of nothing.

Lynsey

redbaron
07-09-06, 20:34
I think it's natural to envy them Lynsey, personally I think religion was invented for precisely this purpose to quell human's fear of the unknown and unknowable.

I let me kids go to church and school to try to deny them the fate that I have which is to be scared of something about which I can do nothing only wait.

“There is a certain sort of man who ignores his own good qualities but is tormented by his bad ones, this is the man who writes about himself.”
-W. Somerset Maugham