PDA

View Full Version : I am concerned about my stomach bloating...Can I ask or pay for scan of abdomen?

Mark_P
08-02-13, 17:15
I was thinking of asking for a scan, but do you think I could pay for a private scan instead of a waiting list on NHS..?

I have had blood tests yesterday and the results came back okay, apart from some slight dehydration of the kidneys due to not eating much.

Could the bloated feeling be from my anxiety? Some times the worry over these symptoms makes me shake and feel cold chills.

Any advice?

nomorepanic
08-02-13, 17:23
A private scan would cost a lot of money so I wouldn't bother doing that.

If your GP thinks you NEED a scan they will refer you for one on the NHS.

Bloating can be air swallowing, IBS, trapped wind - a number of things.

Mark_P
08-02-13, 17:31
A private scan would cost a lot of money so I wouldn't bother doing that.

If your GP thinks you NEED a scan they will refer you for one on the NHS.

Bloating can be air swallowing, IBS, trapped wind - a number of things.

Well, I am sure my dad would pay for it for me if I thought I needed it.

I am just concerned as it's unusual. I am a hypochondriac, but this feels not right. I was thinking of going to the out of hours doctor at the hospital and asking what they suggest.

Am I being stupid?

leeiii
08-02-13, 17:32
i just delt with ibs/bloating month ago .. i had bad pains, bloated so bad, walking with my arm rested on top of bloated belly, tones acid coming up my throat, took 3 weeks for me to see nhs for camra go down, as they did it they were telling me everythink looks good, when i came out less than 10 mins later i got in car with bad belly pains, strange thing was knowing the news was good my ibs calm down, bloating went, i jus moved to new problems lol and told by doctor stress can make you feel like this

Mark_P
08-02-13, 17:36
i just delt with ibs/bloating month ago .. i had bad pains, bloated so bad, walking with my arm rested on top of bloated belly, tones acid coming up my throat, took 3 weeks for me to see nhs for camra go down, as they did it they were telling me everythink looks good, when i came out less than 10 mins later i got in car with bad belly pains, strange thing was knowing the news was good my ibs calm down, bloating went, i jus moved to new problems lol and told by doctor stress can make you feel like this

Did you have a scan? I just worry about it being something else. But my anxiety gets really bad and I am not sure if it's anxiety/IBS. I have a history of IBS is my family as my dad suffered with it.

dlr108
08-02-13, 17:46
i used to get this bloating feeling and its caused by air eating google it

the bloated feeling has gone but left with bad acid reflux

ask your gp for advice but i wouldnt go private i almist went private to cardiology but didnt

leeiii
08-02-13, 17:49
No not scan but camra, about as fat as your small finger, they spayed this numbing spay on throat and make you lay on side, pushed it down and take pics right into your doudenum, took about 5 mins, apart from big burp it was easy and wasent to uncomfy, they tell you wht they doing and give you print out and some pics of your insides after, i pushed for scan aswell but just had bloods done check liver, gullbaddler kidney etc, looks like my ibs/bloating was down to Anxitey, the sysmtons was real but nothink bad making it happen, im new to anxiety causing me problems so just coming to terms with it

rubynoodles
08-02-13, 17:53
I have ibs and this is something I suffer with too.

However, if you are very concerned and not getting anywhere with your gp for peace of mind and to ease you anxiety I would pay privately and I have done on several occasions.

andrea15
08-02-13, 18:01
If your gp thinks there's nothing wrong they may refuse to refer you to go private, mine did. You still need a gp referral if you pay. Even to see a private gp you need a referral from your own. I HAVE paid several times and theres never been anything wrong, its always been nothing. How long have you had it? Give it some time to settle down before spending hundreds of pounds on scans.

Mark_P
08-02-13, 18:02
I have ibs and this is something I suffer with too.

However, if you are very concerned and not getting anywhere with your gp for peace of mind and to ease you anxiety I would pay privately and I have done on several occasions.

Thanks. I was just thinking of private in case I wanted a scan without waiting in NHS. I don't even know if I can get a scan as my doctor never mentioned it. I've only had this feeling since last Saturday, so maybe I am overreacting. It is just worrying when you have these symptoms and don't know what's causing it. I look at causes online, which makes my anxiety literally 10x worse!! :blush:

Annie0904
08-02-13, 18:07
I get bloating all the time but I have ibs. If the bloating is there ALL the time then I would have it checked but if it goes down sometimes then I am sure it is nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

You don't always have to have a GP referral for private treatment. I booked my husband in for a private operation without a referral and my son had an MRI on his head private without a GP referral.

Mark_P
08-02-13, 18:30
If your gp thinks there's nothing wrong they may refuse to refer you to go private, mine did. You still need a gp referral if you pay. Even to see a private gp you need a referral from your own. I HAVE paid several times and theres never been anything wrong, its always been nothing. How long have you had it? Give it some time to settle down before spending hundreds of pounds on scans.

I've had it since last Saturday. I know I should give it some time, but I get worried, you know? I am only 24, so maybe it's my anxiety playing tricks with me. But you always get worried when symptoms are similar to more sinister causes.

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

I get bloating all the time but I have ibs. If the bloating is there ALL the time then I would have it checked but if it goes down sometimes then I am sure it is nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

You don't always have to have a GP referral for private treatment. I booked my husband in for a private operation without a referral and my son had an MRI on his head private without a GP referral.

Thanks for the reply. Well I haven't had it long, only since last Saturday, but I've had some lower abdomen pain as well. I am wondering whether my anxiety has made things worse. I have had diarrhoea with it, so not sure. I am getting bloating, but I am able to eat without feeling sick. My anxiety makes things about 10x worse though.

Annie0904
08-02-13, 18:40
It does sound like it is anxiety related and if your doctor isn't worried, then I wouldn't be either. I have constant stomach pains with ibs and on an evening I sometimes look 9 months pregnant but by the next morning my tummy is flat again. I really don't think it is necessary for you to have scan and they are very expensive private. My son had his head scan private as he was waiting for a NHS one but needed it sorted soon and his work paid for it (£800). Especially if you have only had it since Saturday I would say don't worry.

Mark_P
08-02-13, 19:03
It does sound like it is anxiety related and if your doctor isn't worried, then I wouldn't be either. I have constant stomach pains with ibs and on an evening I sometimes look 9 months pregnant but by the next morning my tummy is flat again. I really don't think it is necessary for you to have scan and they are very expensive private. My son had his head scan private as he was waiting for a NHS one but needed it sorted soon and his work paid for it (£800). Especially if you have only had it since Saturday I would say don't worry.

Yeah, thanks. I only worry about having a scan because I was worried about the symptoms, but after reading through anxiety symptoms online, it could well be down to that. I have many symptoms with anxiety, especially heartburn, cold chills, and shakes. Anxiety and IBS seem horrible to have, especially together! I am hoping that it's IBS, as the symptoms seem very, very similar.

Annie0904
08-02-13, 19:14
I know it sounds silly but the thing that helps my bloating go down is a tablespoon of baby gripe water :D

Mark_P
08-02-13, 19:26
I know it sounds silly but the thing that helps my bloating go down is a tablespoon of baby gripe water :D

I don't have bloating that makes my abdomen puff out, it's more of a bloating feeling when you've eaten a lot. Does your IBS occur after you eat? I've had flatulence and Diarrhoea almost every day. And my anxiety makes me feel even worse, so it's like swings and roundabouts.

Annie0904
08-02-13, 19:39
My ibs is worse after I eat but it is also worse the more anxious I get, so yes it is like a vicious cycle :(. Try chamomile tea as that is good for relaxing your stomach.

Mark_P
08-02-13, 19:46
My ibs is worse after I eat but it is also worse the more anxious I get, so yes it is like a vicious cycle :(. Try chamomile tea as that is good for relaxing your stomach.

I was curious as my stomach feels worse since I've eaten. It's weird because it's all started since Saturday evening. I have been really anxious and stressed as of late to be honest. How do you sleep with IBS? Does it affect you at all, or not?

And thanks, I will have to get some Chamomile tea. Can you suggest any other remedies?

almamatters
08-02-13, 19:53
I have a yakult probiotic drink everyday, I do get a bit of bloating from IBS but suffer more from stomach cramps. They do seem to help me. :)

Annie0904
08-02-13, 19:55
Aloe vera juice before a meal helps (Boot's sell it). The main thing is to try to relax your stomach. With anxiety I tend to tense up all my muscles and have to really concentrate on getting them relaxed. Sometimes I have to get up in the night to go to the loo with ibs but usually it is not too bad through the night. I do sometimes have tummy pains in the night and a hot water bottle helps. I try not to eat spicy foods as they irritate it more.

Anxious_gal
08-02-13, 20:19
ring up the doctor you have been refereed to, ask your own doctor for the number and when you call just has where you are on their list and how long you'd be waiting for the NHS scan.

Mark_P
08-02-13, 20:30
Aloe vera juice before a meal helps (Boot's sell it). The main thing is to try to relax your stomach. With anxiety I tend to tense up all my muscles and have to really concentrate on getting them relaxed. Sometimes I have to get up in the night to go to the loo with ibs but usually it is not too bad through the night. I do sometimes have tummy pains in the night and a hot water bottle helps. I try not to eat spicy foods as they irritate it more.

Thanks, that's great. I will look into that. Do you use hot water bottles or anything like that to relieve it? I've heard that's a good idea as well. I think that Coffee is a problem. I have just read that people with IBS should avoid Coffee, so I think I'll need to cut that out now.

andrea15
08-02-13, 22:56
Dr Google is the devil! I google everything and its the root of my problems. There are always stories of misdiagnosis to scare the pants of us. Unfortunately it's what a lot of us do. Try and wait a bit longer then go back to gp if you're still concerned.

Annie0904
08-02-13, 23:03
I don't drink coffee as it does irritate it. Chamomile tea is the best. A hot water bottle helps with the pain.

Mark_P
08-02-13, 23:34
Dr Google is the devil! I google everything and its the root of my problems. There are always stories of misdiagnosis to scare the pants of us. Unfortunately it's what a lot of us do. Try and wait a bit longer then go back to gp if you're still concerned.

Yeah, it definitely is! lol. I will see how it goes over the weekend. Thanks for the advice.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

I don't drink coffee as it does irritate it. Chamomile tea is the best. A hot water bottle helps with the pain.

I will try get some Chamomile tomorrow, thanks. Do you take any medication for it?

Annie0904
09-02-13, 10:39
No I have had medication from the doctors but it didn't really do me much good.