PDA

View Full Version : Bright red blood on paper?

Mrbattery
09-02-13, 01:21
Hello everyone, I'd first like to mention that this is my first post and the fear induced by this evening's bowel movement prompted me to register. So, first things first a little about me so as to perhaps cover any questions that possible reasons for my symptoms may require.

I'm 19 y/o male. I fancy myself as physically fit with about 1+ hours of workout each and every day for the last 4 years. I have no family history of colon cancer. I have not eaten any red colored foods in the last several days and I do not take iron supplements, or supplements of any kind to assist my body building.

And the symptoms. (Please excuse any improper terminology).

This evening when I went to the bathroom my toilet paper came away bright red, almost as if someone had painted it, the color was so vivid. The stool, however, was not red, not for the most part at least. The first poop (what do you call a single "stool"?) was a little red but the rest looked normal. Now, the reason this is scaring me some is because this isn't the first time I've seen blood on the paper after wiping. Occasionally, for the last few months I get bloody spots on the paper but this was the first time it was really, really covered in blood. I'd like to avoid a doctors visit if I could as I'm very self concious of my body and its even hard for me to let my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years see me naked, despite considering myself fit. Any ways, I think its a fissure as I really like to "get in there", so to speak, when wiping because the thought of even a little bit of poop ending up in my boxers disgusts me. My anus is sore when this happens (after wiping) but quickly fades into nothingness. Tonight its staying with me a little longer but that may be because I'm so nervous and concious of it. I have no other symptoms. (no cramping, abdominal pain or anything of the sort).

As mentioned above, I have no history of colon cancer but prostate cancer has happened to my grandfather and my mother said, at one point, blood in the stool is a "clear" indicator of prostate cancer. Google just gives me lists of cancers and other scary possibilities and is doing nothing to settle my nerves.

nomorepanic
09-02-13, 01:27
It is very much going to be a pile and/or a fissure as you say.

Very common but you do need to get it looked at to get an accurate diagnosis

Ingenious
10-02-13, 00:20
Welcome to the wonderful world of piles. Nearly always harmless and nearly always frightening at the same time, they must be one of life's most irritating conditions. As Nicola says you need to get it checked out however. Yes, seeing a doctor about this is SO embarrassing but you can't afford not to.

If wiping is making you sore, have you considered using wet wipes or baby wipes? They're kinder than toilet roll. Also, do Google piles because there are many things you can do to help prevent them, mostly down to diet changes. You can also buy medication to help with the irritation.

You mention cancer in your post, the chances of those cancers at your age are astronomically small but again isn't this a good reason to get to a doctor and have them check you over, since that is the only way for sure you'll get your mind put at rest. Remember, doctors must see loads of patients with these issues every day so they are well used to it.

Daisy Sue
10-02-13, 01:08
hiya... i'm in agreement with what's already been said, it's so likely to be either a little tear or a hemmie, and yes it could have been caused by your cleaning habits, or even just straining to go occasionally..

i do think you should get brave and let a gp have a look, and then once you have the explanation, change your habits to baby wipes as already suggested... there are some really good ones out there, thick, soothing, sensitive etc... and if you look on the baby aisles in supermarkets, you can often find little plastic containers that hold just a few wipes, so you can carry them around in your pocket..

at 19 years old i was mortified if a doctor or nurse had to see any bits of me that are usually covered up... now, after years of being excavated in virtually every orifice i possess, i am no longer embarrassed or bothered.. medical staff see these things every single day, and it's no big deal to them. just get brave, and go - you'll feel so much more reassured afterwards. :)