PDA

View Full Version : Ddcoo - another update tongue cancer

Ddcoo
09-02-13, 12:22
Hi everyone and thank you for your messages this week. I haven't been on my computer this week so sorry there was no news from me, but I am a bit better today, so thought I would fill you in on the week's news.

I felt really poorly until yesterday which I presume was as a result of the chemotherapy, it floored me. The exhaustion was something I have never experienced before. On Wednesday I needed a shower before going to Leeds for treatment, I got in the shower and couldn't stand up, I don't know where my legs went to but they deserted to me and I had to lean against the wall for support. I have now got a shower stool in case I feel like that again next time I have my chemotherapy session on 28th February. Then of course the chemo gradually destroys your blood cells as it kills off any cancer cells and takes two weeks before the good cells start to build up again and also my resistance to any bugs/germs is decreased, so I am trying to keep away from folk with coughs and colds etc.

The radiation sessions under the mask were a bit scarey this week as I haven't seen my Macmillan nurse this week, and she was so good at talking me through the session with deep breathing etc. So I had to go it alone and do the best I could to stay calm. I found myself tensing up and not breathing evenly and then I thought I was going to panic and got a jelly legged feeling while lying on the table. I have managed to get through the 5 sessions this week though and find that quite an achievement for me, and ONLY 26 MORE RADIATION TREATMENTS TO GO!

Physically OK at the moment but through starting to feel quite dry, as if you have a dry/sore throat. My neck is starting to look a bit red and feels warm, but I use Aqueous cream on it 3 times a day and I have a special bottle of Mu Guard which is like putting a teflon coating on the inside of my mouth. I rinse my mouth with salt water first, then use the mouth guard, swill it around for 2 mins then spit it out, then I leave it for an hour before I eat of drink anything. So that is the boring bit.

It is all much the same just at the moment and I am not looking forward to the rest of the treatment, BUT I am grateful for the opportunity to be cured and I must remember that it costing a fortune for all this treatment I am being given.

Just a few thanks you's to those who have left me messages this week.
To Wolfie for sending me positivity, it is so appreciated.
To Cattia who is willing me to be strong; it must be working!
To EEk who still says I am amazing, but I know I am not as my survival is the only thing that spurs me on.
To Tessar for her witting and wonderful way of writing that makes me smile and even cry attimes - keep the words coming my friend.
To Magic for the hugs - I need those.
To Anxious Gal, who expresses herself so well, I appreciate your help and tips.
Finally to Justin, who cheered me up no end to know that you have been out and WON another game of cricket, enjoyed the experience and who still hasn't died!! I don't mean that nastily Justin, you are going to live
to see a lot more cricket matches and I want to know about them all, I am so proud of you.

So there we have the week and I have worried, cried, shaken, and bumbled my way through it, and yet you still all tell me I am being brave, and I still say I am not but it is you folk that are getting me through this part of my life and as always I am so grateful to you all, and I mean it when I say if I can help anyone out there that thinks they can't cope just to contact me and if I can do it then anyone can. Love you all. Di x

Magic
09-02-13, 14:01
Hi Ddcoo,
I am sorry I can only send hugs to you,You are a very courageous lady.
Stay strong.XXX and thanks to Annie for updates.
My youngest daughter is in training to do half a marathon in April for cancer research
in Stratford,she has a friend who is having treatment at the moment.:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:x x

Heley
09-02-13, 14:07
You're so brave. My Dad had cancer and he's survived (touch wood, ten years next week!) If you ever want support feel free to message and good luck with it all :)

You will get better!

Ronno
09-02-13, 14:10
Ddcoo.
Reading your update just now and remembering my wife going through the same ( she had Hodgkin's lymphoma ) every two weeks chemo , and how weak she got but like you she had huge determination and will to get through to the end . Keep going , keep strong we are all supporting you .

panickyme
09-02-13, 15:05
Awww Dd, you are doing a wonderful job. You are BRAVE, braver then anyone I have known in a long time. :) I am surrounded by negative people, and your positive attitude is incredible. It is just that attitude that is going to get you right through this. So happy for you that the treatment is moving right along, and that you are staying strong. We are all trying to take lessons from you. For me unfortuntaly the fear still takes over, but by reading your post, I am slowly trying to learn that life is short, and that I have to find another way of thinking. So to that I owe you a huge thank you, for the lesson learned here. (you are my hero) so proud of you. Stay as positive, and as strong as you have been, this will all be over soon. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

ReissG
09-02-13, 15:11
Well done Dianne my love!
Keep being strong and keep beating this thing! <3

Canadiana
09-02-13, 16:38
You are truly an amazing person, I can't imagine what you are going through. Ive been lurking on here for a little while reading your posts. You are so strong, I admire your strength. I pray these treatments go quickly for you. I can't wait for you to come on here saying treatment is done, and cancer us gone!!! Many hugs and prayers for you!!
Stay strong..XO

almamatters
09-02-13, 16:42
Stay positive Dianne. Sending you hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: xxxx

Tessar
09-02-13, 19:36
Yes indeed Mrs Brave Lady..... I am in awe.
Listen to you apologising? For what exactly, being human?
We're all human & so are you.
I must say though just how many times you went through my mind this week. I think pretty much any time I felt even minorly sorry for myself, it was like "no" .... it's nothing, think about Di. She is amazing & yes EEk's right you ARE AMAZING - THAT'S OFFICIAL! You'd better accept it or we'll set up a poll on here.

Yeah, so you "worried, cried, shaken, and bumbled my way through it" .... is THAT all????? :doh:Hmmmn, I'm trying really hard NOT to be serious here - I dont want to be responsible for any more tears ya hear?:weep::shrug:

Actually might I ask if "Mu Guard" comes in a black & white bottle shaped like a cow? That stuff along with salt water does indeed sound rather boring so a novelty bottle shape would at least make the activity at bit less dull perhaps?:roflmao:

swgrl09
09-02-13, 19:44
I agree with everybody, you are so courageous and brave. You got through this week, and will get through each one after that. Then you will have your entire life ahead of you :)

You are a tremendous inspiration. You are in my thoughts and prayers

Anxious_gal
09-02-13, 21:13
Aw this all must terriable for you. Like you before the chemo, I can't imagine how unwell you're actually feeling.
It must be hard that you are unable to do some things unaided, but please stay safe and take all the help you can get.
Glad you got a shower stool :) hope it makes showering a bit easier on you.

I remember when my family member had cancer, we used tones of hand gel. Yes when your immune system is low, there's a number of things you need to avoid.

Well done for gettibg radiation on your own. Sorry the nurse wasnt there :(
Yes every session you do is one less you'll have to do. It's good you're being so positive about it.

I hope your managing to eat enough. That sore throat sounds annoying, I hope the creams help ease the discomfort. Aw yeah must suck having to do all that before you can eat.

I know the treatments are hard n may get harder as time goes on but you've the rest of your life to look forward to :) no more feeling tired, sore throats, no more side effects from the treatment.

You've being very brave and doing so well, you should be proud of yourself :)

I'm happy your are finding support here and that it's helping :)

Your positivity and will to keep going no matter how bad you feel is awesome.

I know a lot of people here have health anxiety, they often imagine the worst and I think it is helpful for them to see even if the worst happens they will cope and get through it too.
I think positive imagination/visualisation can be rather good.

There's so many kind and good hearted people here, it's really love to see :)

I know the radiation is scary for you but you do it because you have to. I've been keeping that in mind, when I'm worried and terrified about doing things :) even though I may not have to do certain things, I know it's in my best interest.

swgrl09
09-02-13, 23:36
I agree with Anxious Gal, it is really important to make sure you still get nutrition... It must be so hard with your throat so sore. Do they have a nutritionist working with you?

Chemo really can knock the wind out of you. It is a long haul, but you will be so much stronger for all of this. I know that must mean little while you are going through it, but if you can get through this then you can get through anything.

:hugs:

Justinf
10-02-13, 01:49
It is I who should be thanking you, brave lady. I played again yesterday. We lost on the last ball of the match and I didn't have a particularly great game personally, but I am getting out there and having a go and that's what I consider the most important part, thanks to you for giving me the inspiration.
Sounds like it's still a bit of a long road for you, but it is the right road and you are travelling in the right direction. Many hugs and best wishes sending your way.

Eek
10-02-13, 02:31
I stand by what I said Di, you ARE amazing, you're an inspiration to us all. Five radiation treatments down, hopefully the next five weeks will fly by and you'll be cancer free in no time. Sending you :bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

SamanthaAU
10-02-13, 10:07
You are so amazing, keep battling through and you will be there before you know it xxx

cattia
11-02-13, 22:11
Di, thinking of you as always and hoping that the treatment is going well. Keep thinking positive and remember we are all sending all our positivity your way to help you. Xx

AuntieMoosie
11-02-13, 22:48
Di I'm sending you love and loads of gentle hugs :hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1:

It's such a lot you're going through and I think you're doing absolutely brilliantly. You're going through a very scary time with all the treatments and your coping so well, I'm so very proud of you :D

Good idea to get the shower stool too, that will keep you safe while taking a shower and you'll feel more confident.

Just rest when you need too, and be really kind to yourself :D

:hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1:

Tessar
14-02-13, 15:49
More HUGS and STRENGTH and WARMTH More HUGS and STRENGTH and WARMTH

Annie0904
14-02-13, 18:21
I spoke to Di on Tuesday night and she was sounding quite cheerful. I am amazed at how courageous she is being. Counting the days..Over 2 weeks over with now :) :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::b ighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::big hug: