PDA

View Full Version : Just to reassure me! Anemia issues

Heley
09-02-13, 16:46
Hi there everyone. I have panic attacks/anxiety issues and I'm just looking to get something checked out.

Now I know that panic attacks/anxiety can cause a lot of symptoms. But months before I started having these horrible things, I started to get constantly tired. And I mean needing to sleep for twelve hours and still feeling tired. If I walk up a hill I am out of breathe and need to physically sit down. My panic attacks are specifically related to heart worry- but here's the concern, I'm not currently worried about my heart. I had a good week. But I am exhausted and slightly out of breathe sitting down (and I don't usually hyperventilate with either anxiety or panic attacks).

I'm 20, and I've ran half marathons in good times just over a year ago. I am not so unfit that walking causes me to be out of breath. I'm also really pale with bad circulation to my feet/hands- might this possibly be anemia? To give some background, I've had ECGs and blood tests that all came back fine.

Essentially, what I'm asking is:

A. Should I go and get checked out today at a centre, or is this something I can leave to see my GP on Monday (who already thinks I'm insane)?

B. Is this likely to be anemia or can panic/anxiety be both constant and without worrying thoughts?

Whilst my symptoms are annoying they aren't severe- I can still hold a conversation and stay awake for almost normal hours. And whilst I have been constantly tired for a while (months) and weak, I do also have a cold at the moment that could be exaggerating things in my head. Just want to work out what I should do so as not to waste doctor's time!

NHS direct said to visit a GP today via out of hours...but let's be honest they say that to everyone and with an albeit short history of panic attacks are unlikely to take me seriously!

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Anyone at all got any advice on this? xD

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

No one at all? :(

Anxious_gal
09-02-13, 18:23
If you're not seriously ill, your lips and hands are not blue, you can breathe ok, your body temperture is within normal range, then wait to see your GP.
When you ring up maybe ask about getting a full blood work done the one you fast for.
Usually the nurse does the blood work and it'll take a week to come back.

ecila92
11-02-13, 02:29
Hey I have all those symptoms and more, thought I was anemic (so did my doctor) turns out I don't have it, I put it down to anxiety because I've felt great the past few weeks and haven't noticed any of those symptoms happen. If you're worried speak to doctor and he can sort you out with a few blood tests. Anaemia is quite common and as far as I know isn't too serious and can be sorted with tablets. Don't worry!