PDA

View Full Version : relaxant question

Meewah
09-02-13, 19:15
Hi

I have suffered from anxiety since 2006 and hate taking any kind of medication so I don't I have propranolol which I was prescribed back in 2009 and still have not used it all.

My question is I read somewhere that Anti histamine or a specific anti allergy medication available over the counter can be used as a relaxant when you feel panicky. Has anyone heard this as I cant find the article now. Could you tell me what it is and if you have had any good results with it?

Thanks Mee

amy.x.
09-02-13, 22:07
hi,

i have been prescribed promethazine for insomnia and i find this to be more effective than diazepam, seroquel or zopiclone.

i take 2x25mg tablets before bedtime. maybe at a lower dose it would be effective for anxiety?!

I think it can be bought over the counter as sominex which is a lower dose.

apparently these medications arent addictive either :)

Meewah
11-02-13, 00:33
Thanks I have since found a lot of interesting threads on this. Seems it is very effective as you say without being addictive and you can get it over the counter.

Mee

Pipkin
11-02-13, 00:38
I sometimes use this (I buy it as Phenergan) and it really knocks me out. Be careful not to use it too often though as you can become tolerant to the effects.

Pip

Meewah
12-02-13, 14:47
Thanks Pipkin.

Not sure I want knocking out, just a little light relief.

Mee

BobbyDog
12-02-13, 14:56
Valerian works well, but is usually taken for insomnia. Some herbal relaxation remedies do contain some Valerian. Have a look if Boots or Holland and Barrett. Or ask your pharmacist.x