PDA

View Full Version : Obstructing eyelashes

RPB353
09-02-13, 19:41
Hi,

I’ve decided to sign up to this forum after reading a few threads regarding strange eye symptoms, as I’ve been experiencing several of my own for awhile now. Judging by some of the threads, it seems likely anxiety based as I’ve had a few check ups now and everything has been deemed normal. I’m still due one more appointment so maybe I’ll save the thread I had planned for another day. In the meantime I do have an eye issue [of sorts] that’s been bugging me and as a worrier of all things big and small, it’s been driving me absolutely mad. I feel kind of silly explaining it as it may sound miniscule and unimportant but it’s one of the reasons I’ve joined this forum, so here goes.

[Note: I’ve given some thought to where this belongs, if anywhere, and I think I’m posting this in the correct forum section.]

Several months ago I noticed that whenever I watch TV with the lights off [which I frequently do when watching certain things, e.g. scary movies/TV shows [much scarier with the lights off!] that my eyelashes - or the light from the TV reflecting off them? - obstruct my view and become incredibly distracting. At first I thought my glasses needed cleaning but I soon realised it was my eyelashes. After some investigation, I realised my left eyelid seems lower than it has in the past [*I think so anyway*] and the eyelash distraction seems to occur more with the left eye. It’s so distracting/obstructing that I find it difficult to pay attention because I’m constantly thinking about it and I feel like I’m not seeing everything on the screen. It seems more prevalent when my eyes are relaxed. Anyway, it’s became such a nuisance that I rarely watch the movies or programmes that I would typically watch in the dark, because I’m just put off by it. To resolve the issue, I went to the trouble of trimming my eyelashes thinking perhaps they’ve just grown too long or are randomly growing more horizontally these days… but I soon realised just how important eyelashes are the minute they were trimmed! So I won’t be doing that again, although it did help with the issue a tad. But I’m not too keen on having to keep doing that. I’m even considering buying an eyelash curler to see if this helps, which just feels absolutely ridiculous because since when do men curl their eyelashes!? I felt ridiculous trimming them, let alone this. I don’t know where to start in buying one or whether this would even resolve it. Maybe nothing’s changed in regard to my eyelashes or eyelids and I’ve just happened to notice it one day and now I can’t take my mind of it. If I had to guess though, I’d say something is different because of the level of distraction I’m experiencing. I thought one cause was perhaps I needed new glasses and that my current prescription was not strong enough and so it was making my eyes tired, hence the lowering of one or both of the eyelids? However, I’ve recently been prescribed a slightly stronger lens and still the problem persists. I do plan on mentioning the eyelid drooping at my next eye appointment but I dread to think how the Eye Doctor will react should I explain all of the above to him. I feel silly enough explaining it on a forum. It’s been driving me mad for several months now and all I can think to do is to post my thoughts and hope someone out there can relate in some form and better yet, offer a solution of some kind. As I mentioned above, I’m an incredible worrier of things and I do tend to obsess over things [probably a result of anxiety, stress and depression that I’ve suffered from over the years] but in this case I feel I’m obsessed over a genuine nuisance because it seems to be ruining one of my greatest pleasures in life, as sad as that sounds; watching TV. It’s such an escapism from life and I know I’m not the only one that enjoys finally getting that new movie you’ve been looking forward to and having some drinks/food and sitting down to watch it. It’s definitely a life saver when you’re having problems in life. One solution is, simply watching with the lights on but this really ruins that ‘cinematic effect’ when watching my favourite TV dramas or movies, because you really feel ‘drawn in’ when watching certain things in the dark. I don’t think anyone would turn the lights ON at the cinema if given the choice!

So in conclusion, I’m a crazy person that’s obsessing over their eyelashes when watching TV in the dark! And I’d really appreciate some help and advice on this matter.

Thank you J

Anxious_gal
09-02-13, 20:34
It's odd light reflects off the eye lashes, are they very fare?
Perhaps black or brown mascara could reduce the effect. You can also buy a clear mascara it's just a non coloured type of gel.

I know some people's lashes can point more downwards than upwards so maybe try curling them. You can

Would you have any pictures of you that'd confirm that your eye lid is dropping/lower than it was before? It might be worth showing them to your doctor.

It could be a natural part of getting older, an eye lift is a common cosmetic procedure.

It does strike me as odd it's not bothered you when you were younger.
So either you can't not unsee it once you've noticed it or something has changed,
Which might even be that the eyelids do tend to drop/sag as you age.

Also if you have the lights off, naturally the light may reflect of your lashes, the lashes do tend to be more visible due to the shadow they create.

Personally I don't enjoy TV in the dark. Maybe you get a dimmer?
Try slowly dimming the light over a period of time until you become used to it so it doesn't bother you.

I get visual snow/static in my vision n it's there all the time, I can see it right now even but I don't really have a choice but to look through it and ignore it.

RPB353
10-02-13, 15:38
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply Anxious_gal, I really appreciate it :)

It's odd light reflects off the eye lashes, are they very fare?
Perhaps black or brown mascara could reduce the effect. You can also buy a clear mascara it's just a non coloured type of gel.

I know some people's lashes can point more downwards than upwards so maybe try curling them. You can

Would you have any pictures of you that'd confirm that your eye lid is dropping/lower than it was before? It might be worth showing them to your doctor.

It could be a natural part of getting older, an eye lift is a common cosmetic procedure.

It does strike me as odd it's not bothered you when you were younger.
So either you can't not unsee it once you've noticed it or something has changed,
Which might even be that the eyelids do tend to drop/sag as you age.

Also if you have the lights off, naturally the light may reflect of your lashes, the lashes do tend to be more visible due to the shadow they create.

Personally I don't enjoy TV in the dark. Maybe you get a dimmer?
Try slowly dimming the light over a period of time until you become used to it so it doesn't bother you.

I get visual snow/static in my vision n it's there all the time, I can see it right now even but I don't really have a choice but to look through it and ignore it.
To answer your questions, my eyelashes are dark and I'm only 28 in regard to eyes drooping with age. The picture is a good idea, I may try that thanks. It sounds like that's the easiest way to show the Eye Doctor [that I'm due to see in April] that one eyelid is uneven so I think I'll bring a picture with me. And yes it's only been the last several months so it seems odd the eyelashes are suddenly growing differently, or growing longer, which makes me point to the eyelids as the problem. It's so difficult to tell if it's simply a matter of not being able to unnotice something once noticed - I have tried to ignore it but I fail each time. I do notice my eyes seem relax a tad more over time when watching something, which makes the eyelashes more visible. Could be something making my eyes more tired, but, it happens earlier in the day too when my eyes should be awake and alert.

I do have a dimmer downstairs which I always use but I turn it off when watching a movie, but whenever I'm just watching TV generally it does resolve the issue. That's a good idea about dimming it just enough that I don't notice the eyelashes, but I guess I'm just annoyed that I've gone all this time with the light off and never having this problem before. It seems at this point that I either try the eyelash curler or just keep the light on but very dimmed. While I plan on bringing it up at the eye appointment because I'm sure he'll think this is all very silly. Though granted he will take the possible drooping of eyelids seriously but just not my explanation for bringing it up.

I'm not really sure where to start with the eyelash curler. I just need something basic but effective. I am concerned though that it will be noticeable to others that I've curled them. And I wonder how often I'll need to curl them?

As for your visual snow/static, I'm sorry that you experience that. It's not nice at all having problems with the eyes and I've had several appointments in the last several months for various strange symptoms that have been really getting me down [besides the eyelash thing]. I hope your symptoms improve some day and you find the answer. I can only suggest making sure everything is okay medically [which I'm sure you've done] and hoping it's down to anxiety, because with improvement in that area the eyes would improve also. There are lots of supplements and foods out there that are good for the eyes but it's overwhelming to know where to start. And diet is important, and trying to eat healthy. It could be undiagnosed health issues we have that attribute somewhat to our visual symptoms that Doctors cannot always detect. Sometimes doing our own research online is the only way forward. I purchased something called The Linden Method [which I'm sure has been mentioned on here] last year for my anxiety but I haven't been consistent in practicing it but maybe that's something you could look into if you suffer from a form of anxiety. The guy who created it explained he had SO many strange symptoms, including with the eyes when he was experiencing his regular anxiety episodes and attacks.

Angelai
11-02-13, 18:52
Hi, you can get an eyelash curler in Wilkinsons - they're not expensive.

Just a thought, are you using any eye drops at the moment?

x

RPB353
11-02-13, 19:47
Hi, you can get an eyelash curler in Wilkinsons - they're not expensive.

Just a thought, are you using any eye drops at the moment?

x
Hi Angelai,

I had a quick look on Boots a few minutes ago actually and they have a cheap one. I can't believe I'm even considering curling my eyelashes, I feel so ridiculous. Do some men do this? I really don't want to try trimming them again so curling may be my only option. I typed a few things in on Yahoo to see if I could find anyone else with a similiar problem and I see a few people complaining about having crooked or straight eyelashes. Curling is one thing, but I hope I don't also have to resort to using mascara!! That's just pushing it lol. I'm also not looking forward to having to curl my eyelashes all the time, when I've never had to in the past so it's quite frutstrating. As for why they may grow crooked or too straight, I've read it could be a number of things from it simply being natural, or to it being down to an infection on the eyelids or something.

No I'm not using any eye drops, why is that... have you thought of something?

:)

PanchoGoz
11-02-13, 20:11
I think this is just one of these things you notice in life. Like I was terrified for a while as I had become aware of my nose constantly being in my vision. The reason it bothered me was it was something I couldn't fix or change. Anxiuos people tend to be "fixers", we adapt life to our needs, when things are out of our hands we feel scared. The best thing would be to distract yourself with something that takes your mind off it, such as focusing on the outside world or maybe just the feel of your breathing.

Angelai
11-02-13, 20:39
You should be fine with the curlers and not need mascara :ohmy:

I asked about eye drops because - my mum has to use some for glaucoma (not sure what type) and she has developed the most amazing lashes. Really long and thick, I'm quite jealous! The optician did say that was a side-effect.

PanchoGoz you are so right. We do adapt life to us rather than the other way around. That is why I'm so scared of being sick - because it's something I can't control. Distraction is a great idea.

Anxious_gal
11-02-13, 22:34
aw you're welcome.

Yea bring a before and after picture : ) I mean if it's an obvious thing, that way you can show him it's not just your imagination.

hmm, as silly as curling your eye lashes might seem due to being a male and gender roles and all that, it only shows how desperate you are to solve the issue that's bothering you a whole lot.

I really don't think it would be noticeable, colored mascara yes some might pick up on that, but curling your eyelashes just helps the eyelashes to point more upwards.
You can simply buy a curler in a shop or even order one from Amazon.

Aw thanks but honestly it doesn't bother me too much, I've had it a long time : )

I am not a man so I can' really relate but gender roles are totally over rated, men should do this and women should do that. At one point women being anything but a housewife was laughable, now women can be doctors and vote.

Lots of famous men would wear make up, get beauty treatments and all that.
A lot men do get their nails done, have their eye brows waxed and that : ) I guess they just don't talk about it..

You are curling your eye lashing to help with your problem, but hey nothing wrong with wanting to have nice eye lashes either ; )
You could try that clear gel mascara, it shouldn't be noticeable really.
if regular curlers don't seem to help, you should give the heated ones a go.

ah I hate when I can sometimes see my own nose, I mean whats up with that lol

RPB353
25-02-13, 20:07
I think this is just one of these things you notice in life. Like I was terrified for a while as I had become aware of my nose constantly being in my vision. The reason it bothered me was it was something I couldn't fix or change. Anxiuos people tend to be "fixers", we adapt life to our needs, when things are out of our hands we feel scared. The best thing would be to distract yourself with something that takes your mind off it, such as focusing on the outside world or maybe just the feel of your breathing.
Hi PanchoGoz, thank you for your response also.

Well it's only really a bother when I'm watching TV or looking at my PC monitor. It's quite hard to simply ignore it because it's so profound, if that's the right word to use. When I look in the mirror I notice some eyelashes are growing horizontal and even growing in the wrong direction! Such a minute thing really makes an impact on your vision. I manage to ignore my eye floaters for the most part, but not the eyelashes in certain situations.

You should be fine with the curlers and not need mascara :ohmy:

I asked about eye drops because - my mum has to use some for glaucoma (not sure what type) and she has developed the most amazing lashes. Really long and thick, I'm quite jealous! The optician did say that was a side-effect.

PanchoGoz you are so right. We do adapt life to us rather than the other way around. That is why I'm so scared of being sick - because it's something I can't control. Distraction is a great idea.
I'm not really sure how to use eyelash curlers, or how often... but I suppose I'll just have to give it a go. Would I have to curl them everyday? I'm wondering how effective this will even be, considering everything I've read seems to suggest that they are only effective when you're applying mascara afterwards. So I'm not too optimistic about it.

I was reading yesterday that blephitis can cause eyelashes to grow crooked and at my last eye appointment I was told I have blephitis and the eye doctor just gave me some uninformative leaflet on what to do about it so I resorted to just reading online about it which was was a bit confusing and overwhelming.

I was given eyedrops at my eye appointments last year, the kind to dilute your pupils and make them numb for one of the various tests they did, but that appointment was several months ago so any effect would have stopped now. Interestingly, it wasn't long after my last appointment that I begun to notice my eyelashes... I'd never noticed this problem before the appointments.

aw you're welcome.

Yea bring a before and after picture : ) I mean if it's an obvious thing, that way you can show him it's not just your imagination.

hmm, as silly as curling your eye lashes might seem due to being a male and gender roles and all that, it only shows how desperate you are to solve the issue that's bothering you a whole lot.

I really don't think it would be noticeable, colored mascara yes some might pick up on that, but curling your eyelashes just helps the eyelashes to point more upwards.

You can simply buy a curler in a shop or even order one from Amazon.

Aw thanks but honestly it doesn't bother me too much, I've had it a long time : )

I am not a man so I can' really relate but gender roles are totally over rated, men should do this and women should do that. At one point women being anything but a housewife was laughable, now women can be doctors and vote.

Lots of famous men would wear make up, get beauty treatments and all that.

A lot men do get their nails done, have their eye brows waxed and that : ) I guess they just don't talk about it..

You are curling your eye lashing to help with your problem, but hey nothing wrong with wanting to have nice eye lashes either ; )

You could try that clear gel mascara, it shouldn't be noticeable really.
if regular curlers don't seem to help, you should give the heated ones a go.

ah I hate when I can sometimes see my own nose, I mean whats up with that lolThat's what I hate about Doctors, is they just always assume you're just worrying too much. So bringing some proof is a good idea, because there's a chance he may not see the difference upon inspecting my eyes as sometimes even I can't.

I've seen a few eyelash curlers; Boots, Superdrug, Wilko's - I'm not sure which one is best really.

I agree with you on the male-female debate, it's all a bit silly but with the way the world is, I think people just prefer to hide things so as not to be judged. It's not so much that I'd feel silly using a curler, it's just the hassle and inconvenience of having to do it every day from this point on. I wonder how long it'll be before I grow tired of having to curl them all the time, as I get fed up just cleaning my glasses on a daily basis. I'm not to keen on the heated curlers because then I'd be worried that I'm harming my eyes with the heat and the same goes with a clear mascara. After having some bother with my eyes and hence the aforementioned eye appointments, I've become such a worrier when it comes to my eyes as far as getting anything in them, be it soap or dust for example. So mascara is a big no no for me lol.

I've had eye floaters for years and to an extent you adapt to ignoring them, but this eyelash distraction is slightly different for me. I wish I could just try to ignore it but when something obstructs your vision, it's very difficult.

Worst case scenario, is I just pluck them all out! Well, I wouldn't do lol.

buyadegara
23-03-15, 08:52
thanks for info

Beauch22
15-12-15, 00:55
I'm having same issue I think so you ever find out the reasoning

Jherron
15-12-15, 05:27
Light bends around objects, even eyelashes. If someone watches TV when there tired or the eyes are strained. I think the problem is more of how wide you eyelid is open. If your eye lids are not wide open the lashes are going to naturally be in the light path.

tom32
03-04-17, 11:08
Hi,

I have the exact same problem as you (obstructing eyelashes). Please could you tell us if you found a solution or the cause of that problem?
I have tried eyelash curler and it's not a permanent solution as I found out it hurts the lashes and eyelid if you do it everyday as it's needed if you want an effect.
It is also related to the eye being droopy but there is no non-surgical solutions to my knowledge.
Anyway, I would greatly appreciate if you could tell how it evolved since 2013 or if anyone has advices.

Thanks a lot.

dollydoll
06-09-17, 08:14
Look I know I'm late, but the same thing is still happening to many men. Cutting, plucking or burning their lashes. If you are a man it doesn't mean you can't restore your lashes. Try natural enhancers like Cherish Lash serum etc. - no one will even notice you're using them. It saved my uncle's eyelashes.

altair
09-06-23, 20:33
I have exactly the same problem. Has anyone solved it or find its cause?