PDA

View Full Version : I'm stressing my family out with my constant worry about my symptoms...what do I do?

Mark_P
10-02-13, 10:53
Okay, so I posted a thread on here a couple days ago about the symptoms I started getting last Saturday evening after a session at the gym in the morning. They started off very uncomfortable, but recently they have calmed down a little. But here's the thing, I don't know if it's IBS and my anxiety combined, or something else at the moment.

I have been feeling really nauseous, especially after a consume food. I went out yesterday with a friend, I felt very anxious about my symptoms during that time. I bought a pre-packed chicken salad sandwich, but it was very dry and had to get down. I finally got it down and drunk some water, but I was still feeling nauseous after the food.

I went back to my friend's place to chill out for a few hours. I was still feeling the same, so I went to the bathroom and called my dad to ask his opinion on whether I should go hospital. He isn't very sympathetic in these situations and told me that I'm stressing him out with it all and I've had blood test and been seen by 2 doctors already.

I wanted to get a scan on my abdomen, so my dad phoned the hospital for me and then called me back and told me that he had spoke to the doctor and explained the situation regarding my symptoms and anxiety. The doctor told my dad that the hospital won't give me a scan unless my family doctor referred me for one.

I only live with my dad, so it's hard because my siblings are a lot older than me who have families and live different areas locally. It's hard because I don't know who to talk to about the issues because my dad doesn't really understand.

I have an arranged appointment with my doctor on Tuesday, but I hate to keep waiting all the time. The apprehension is making me more and more anxious/stressed. And I don't really have any other way to distract myself from thinking about it all.

What do you guys suggest? Sorry, I didn't mean to post another thread, but I just wanted to explain all this. I mean, I'm 24 and I think I've got something sinister wrong with my stomach/digestive system. I want to live my life, but I can't while I'm worrying about all this.

becky000
10-02-13, 11:22
I have suffered from anxiety for years. I also have IBS but it's completely related to the anxiety and not due to any food intolerance at all. It took me years of doctors, tests, elimination diets, weight loss and just pure misery before
I accepted that it was just the anxiety doing this and nothing else. I too imagined I had something terminally wrong with me - so I do sympathise with you, I know what it feels like.
What I can advise is that through experience I have realised that what seemed so important to me doesn't really bother anyone else because they are looking at it from a rational point of view. They can see that it's JUST a tummy ache, JUST nausea and for them it wouldn't create any anxiety at all, they would just take a pill, relax and it would get better. For us we continue to worry and this causes more symptoms and we work ourselves up into a frenzy and then expect everyone around us to do the same thing.
They get sick of us and we feel sorry for ourselves!
Anyway, first things is to try to make your brain understand that it's just anxiety causing the problems, relax, eat some dry crackers, drink some coke, anything that will relieve the symptoms.
By all means get a check up, reassurance will help relieve the anxiety.
Look around at how other people deal with these health issues. They don't run to hospital just because they have a twinge or feel nauseous. It's just our minds that are over-reacting to the problem.
Please find something to distract yourself with. Just some good old exercise - walking or running even will help enormously, I promise. Try it - it works!

Anxious_gal
10-02-13, 11:29
Pretty sure it's an anxiety thing as it really can mess with your digestive system. Eat probiotic yogurts for the live healthy bacteria.
Ginger and lemon tea or peppermint tea can help.
It might be worth seeing if its diet related.

If you really think a scan would stop you from worrying, you could always try a different doctor.

No way would a hospital scan for nausea, no offence but it's not like you're in serious pain or even vomiting. There's millions of harmless things that can cause tummy problems, so don't always assume the worst.

Mark_P
10-02-13, 11:49
I have suffered from anxiety for years. I also have IBS but it's completely related to the anxiety and not due to any food intolerance at all. It took me years of doctors, tests, elimination diets, weight loss and just pure misery before
I accepted that it was just the anxiety doing this and nothing else. I too imagined I had something terminally wrong with me - so I do sympathise with you, I know what it feels like.
What I can advise is that through experience I have realised that what seemed so important to me doesn't really bother anyone else because they are looking at it from a rational point of view. They can see that it's JUST a tummy ache, JUST nausea and for them it wouldn't create any anxiety at all, they would just take a pill, relax and it would get better. For us we continue to worry and this causes more symptoms and we work ourselves up into a frenzy and then expect everyone around us to do the same thing.
They get sick of us and we feel sorry for ourselves!
Anyway, first things is to try to make your brain understand that it's just anxiety causing the problems, relax, eat some dry crackers, drink some coke, anything that will relieve the symptoms.
By all means get a check up, reassurance will help relieve the anxiety.
Look around at how other people deal with these health issues. They don't run to hospital just because they have a twinge or feel nauseous. It's just our minds that are over-reacting to the problem.
Please find something to distract yourself with. Just some good old exercise - walking or running even will help enormously, I promise. Try it - it works!

Thanks! I guess you're right. My problem is, on Saturday I came home from the gym and ate myself into a frenzy, I ate a load of junk food and gorged myself silly. I think this may of been the problem that started it off, well, that and my anxiety during that time.

My doctor told me to book an appointment with him again next Tuesday, so I will go and see him to explain the way I've been feeling. I have never been officially diagnosed with IBS, but a previous doctor told me about a year ago that I could possibly have IBS due to my sporadic bowel movements.

My dad suffered from IBS, so It could be something that's been passed on to me. But because I have anxiety, that does seem to make it all the worse. I am just a terrible worrier about my health, so that doesn't help my situation at all.

becky000
10-02-13, 12:01
Me too! so I understand.
I joined an IBS forum which helped me to understand and feel a lot less stressed about it. When I read about what some people go through, I realised mine was nothing in comparison. I just needed something to compare it to.

Before that I would have constant bloating, pain, erratic bowel movements, and in turn constant anxiety - the one feeding the other....... Once I had it for 8 months solid until I realised what I was doing to myself.

I too indulge in binge eating once in a while which would give anyone IBS symptoms - and then I wonder why I have all this bloating and cramps.....haha.

Seriously though, I was finally able to walk away from all of this once I changed my mind-set. All those years of restricting diets - eliminating wheat, then dairy, fruit, meat etc. etc., until I could hardly eat anything and was so miserable. (let's face it, food is good and we enjoy it and who wants to be on a restrictive diet for the rest of their lives?)

And yet now that my mind realises that the one condition causes the other, I am symptom free. I can eat anything. If I have the odd tummy cramp, nausea etc, I deal with it like anyone else and it goes away.

I hope you reach this point too.

Mark_P
10-02-13, 12:45
Me too! so I understand.
I joined an IBS forum which helped me to understand and feel a lot less stressed about it. When I read about what some people go through, I realised mine was nothing in comparison. I just needed something to compare it to.

Before that I would have constant bloating, pain, erratic bowel movements, and in turn constant anxiety - the one feeding the other....... Once I had it for 8 months solid until I realised what I was doing to myself.

I too indulge in binge eating once in a while which would give anyone IBS symptoms - and then I wonder why I have all this bloating and cramps.....haha.

Seriously though, I was finally able to walk away from all of this once I changed my mind-set. All those years of restricting diets - eliminating wheat, then dairy, fruit, meat etc. etc., until I could hardly eat anything and was so miserable. (let's face it, food is good and we enjoy it and who wants to be on a restrictive diet for the rest of their lives?)

And yet now that my mind realises that the one condition causes the other, I am symptom free. I can eat anything. If I have the odd tummy cramp, nausea etc, I deal with it like anyone else and it goes away.

I hope you reach this point too.

Thank you. Do you suggest that I still ask my doctor about a scan? Or should I just see what he recommends before I ask anything?

I guess that for me it will take a while to get to where you are. I would love to just forget about it. I know I can do it, it's just a matter of committing to try to think with a different mindset.

Yeah, I don't want to start eating really strict, otherwise I will end up not eating at all. What kind of diet do you have? Is it mainly healthy?

By the way, this is off topic, but do you actually live in South Africa? If so, I am jealous haha.

becky000
10-02-13, 13:28
By all means, see your doctor. If he recommends further tests go with what he suggests. This will help to put your mind at ease.
It might take a while for you to recover, but then again its only a matter of changing a bad habit in your mind really so it could happen at any time. Let's hope it's soon!
My diet is mainly healthy yes, but I do have days of comfort eating where only chocolate and junk will do.....
Yes I live on the Sunshine Coast of South Africa. And yes, we do have lots of sunshine! But we have a lousy Government and I'm seriously thinking of moving to the UK.
Hope you feel better soon.

Mark_P
10-02-13, 14:00
By all means, see your doctor. If he recommends further tests go with what he suggests. This will help to put your mind at ease.
It might take a while for you to recover, but then again its only a matter of changing a bad habit in your mind really so it could happen at any time. Let's hope it's soon!
My diet is mainly healthy yes, but I do have days of comfort eating where only chocolate and junk will do.....
Yes I live on the Sunshine Coast of South Africa. And yes, we do have lots of sunshine! But we have a lousy Government and I'm seriously thinking of moving to the UK.
Hope you feel better soon.

Hey, thanks a lot for the responses, it's much appreciated! I will see what he says, after all, he's been in medicine long enough to know what to do eh? lol.

Do you get much junk food in Africa? I would have thought it would all be healthy, naturally grown?

It must be so nice with all the sunshine and nice beaches. It definitely beats the cold and dark weather here in U.K at the moment lol.

What is healthcare like in South Africa?

Sorry, I've turned this into a South African information thread lol, was just curious as it seems like a nice place.

I will definitely try and change my mindset. I am laying down on my laptop at the moment and my stomach is feeling a lot better. Just had another bout of diarrhoea about an 1 hour ago, so am just trying to hydrate myself.

becky000
10-02-13, 14:09
Healthcare is really bad in South Africa. I'd rather die at home than go to a State hospital! You can't imagine how awful the hospitals are - filthy dirty and understaffed. If you go to a state hospital here you must take your own bedding and have a relative to look after you and bring you food and drink. One has to have medical insurance here in order to get private treatment and go to a private hospital which is very expensive otherwise.
Yes we get plenty of junk food here - in the cities there is MacDonalds, KFC, and all the other fast food places. Where I live in a small town on the coast it's a little different. Yes there's plenty of fresh fruit, but there's still chocolate too haha! And we all do lots of baking.
The beaches are beautiful but it's dangerous to go for a walk alone - crime is really bad here. Lots of murder, rape, theft and violence. But of course every country has its pro's and cons. I have two dogs so I feel quite safe but one has to be careful.
Take care of yourself and try to relax and get better.

ecila92
11-02-13, 02:25
Hey, it sounds like IBS to me as its usually triggered by stress. Maybe you're allergic to something you're eating, milk, cheese etc? This hasn't got much relevance but my doctor suspects coeliac disease with me (means I cant eat gluton, wheat) its nothing sinister though. Maybe keep a diary of what you're eating and what's triggering it off?