PDA

View Full Version : The story of someone who is seeking for help!

the reckoning
10-02-13, 15:39
HI Guys, I am new here and this is my first post. I need your help or at least some feedback about my case, symptoms and I am looking for reassurance that those are not the first warning signs of something more serious. I am trying to tell my story from the beginning and I will try to be as precise as I can so that you understand what I am going through.

It has started almost two years ago when I realized moderate pain in my testicles. Having my testicles removed or testicle cancer was probably my biggest fear ever since high school when I was told by the school nurse that 3 out of 10 person's testicle are being removed due to cancer. My symptoms got worse over a few weeks time and I was convinced that I am going to die. I did not have the guts to share this with anyone but as it was inevitable after a few weeks I told my girlfriend and my family about that and my girlfriend was very supportive, called the clinic where I was examined and was told that my testicles are healthy and everything was fine. Surprisingly after the examination the sharp and constant pain I was having for weeks has gone away immediately which scared me because I wouldn't have thought that the whole situation was just an illusion. As you can imagine I was pretty depressed during the whole process especially that I kept it for myself for so long.
A few weeks later I have applied for a position in the UK, and after 3 months I have been relocated and moved to London. My job is quite stressful at times and I am under a lot of pressure. Everything was fine for a good year or so, we have even moved together with my girlfriend and I was doing pretty well in my new position so we had the funds to travel on weekends and I could finally buy a pretty good bike which was one of my biggest dreams to have. All in all everything was not just simply fine but glorious, we were living a life that we have always dreamt about. I was under a lot of stress and conscious about life and a bit worried that everything could go wrong but I thought that was normal. As I said work was though but nothing I couldn't handle. From Monday to Friday I could literally feel the pressure on my shoulder but the weekends were deliberating.
Probably 8 months ago I started feeling pins and needles in my left hand more specifically in my little finger, it was gentle but quite constant so it made me worried. Later on I started feeling it in my left sole as well. I went to the ER one day and told all my symptoms to a doc who sent me back to my GP and ordered some blood tests to check my vitamin, sodium levels, etc. That was the period when I started cycling every day so after a few weeks the gentle tingling/numbness has gone away by the time I got the results of my blood test. My GP told me that everything was fine and the results were perfect. A few weeks later I started noticing symptoms of general anxiety. I was anxious about everything, literally everything and I was having really scary and dark thoughts, sense of impending doom and constant fear of death. My thoughts were racing around death and I was permanently under the impression that I was going to die of something. The pins and needles came back, and by now I was having these gentle, moderate tingling sensations in my left hand, little finger, the side of my left foot, even in my face which was extremely worrying and I was convinced that I was going to die! I went back to my GP and I was given Sertraline 50 mg. The first few days were a nightmare. I had a pretty bad panic attack just after I started taking the medication (it was probably on day 3 or 4, I can't remember), I woke up in the middle of the night which has never happened to me and couldn't feel my heart beating. I got up and went to the toilet but I still couldn't feel my own heartbeat, I started panicking and out of a sudden started feeling cold around my shoulder and nape. I thought I was going to pass out, it was terrible, everything went red and blurry but I didn't pass out. My girlfriend was with me all the time and I have managed to calm myself in just a few minutes and fell asleep. Slowly the tingling sensations were gone and after a month I started feeling positive, the negative thoughts were gone either so all in all it wasn't that bad. I started working out, got a gym pass and went 4 days a week plus swimming on Saturday. I was having side effects such as erectile dysfunction for a couple of days, and I was steadily tired for the first few weeks, I needed an afternoon nap to stay alive and I could go to bed at midnight which was unheard of me as I always stayed up until 1/2am. Other than that dry eye for a few days, dizziness but nothing more. A little while I started feeling stabbing pain in my head - I can't remember since when -, it lasts for not more than a few seconds (5- 10) and it's not the sort of pain you feel inside the head but on the side or top of my head. I also experienced vertigo a few times, these were quite common for a few weeks and then they were gone. I have even seen fractals once, at least I know I am not the only one who has seen such things... It lasts for a few minutes starting from the focus point of my eyes, expands in 5/10 minutes and goes but in most cases results in a headache which goes away in a few hours. Probably what concerns me the most is the eye pain which has started a few months ago, it comes and goes but sometimes it is pretty bad that I have to take a pain killer. It is the back of my eye that hurts, like it would be something behind my eyes and it is frustrating. Also sometimes a little nerve behind my eye is twitching for a few seconds, it is annoying. Finally this week on Wednesday I slept just 4- 5 hours if not less and when I woke up I had a twitch in my left thumb for a day! It was so scary that I am now convinced that I either have MS, Parkinson's or a brain tumor. Last time I have been to see my GP, I was being told that my symptoms were not that concerning...
Work has become even more stressful but I wouldn't think that it makes my symptoms worsen over the past few months. I also started having the tingling sensations on my sole and I feel that I am back to zero. I haven't been to the gym lately but the last time I went my eyes were killing me...
I don't know what's wrong with me but I want to get an MRI done, a CT, full blood test the most detailed that is possible. Do you think I am overreacting? Do you think I am hypochondriac? Do I have MS or Parkinsons or brain desease?

I was following the forum since day 1 of my anxiety but it's still very hard to accept that anxiety is causing all my symptoms. I know that I don't have phobias and I am definitely not antisocial, I work in sales and I meet new people day by day and let's say I am enjoying it.

Please help me by letting your thoughts known.

Many thanks!

XO

becky000
10-02-13, 16:42
Hi there! I think you have health anxiety where every little twinge becomes extremely serious in your mind but doesn't appear as serious to a doctor or other people. I have had it for many years but am much better now. I can reason with myself and not over-react as I used to. It's a bit of a vicious cycle really. The anxiety feeds the physical symptoms and they in turn cause more anxiety. It just gets worse and worse and you bounce from one symptom/disease to another. If you read your post you can see that's what you're doing in fact.
I know it feels very real and very serious to you but normal people who have these symptoms deal with them in a rational way. They don't get anxious first of all so the symptoms either disappear or they get worse and then they go to the doctor for tests and they don't panic.
I have had every illness known to mankind (in my mind) and of course Google doesn't really help. We have access to far too much and for us anxious people who worry non-stop about our health this is just another way to feed our disorder.
My advice to you is this: get a good medical check-up and once you're given the all-clear, accept it and believe it. Get a hobby that distracts your thoughts and relaxes you. Learn more about your condition, on this site and by reading up about it. understanding brings control and that's what you need now.

I know it's hard to accept that your mind can be doing this to you and it took me years to accept but it's true. My mind has made me so physically ill in the past that I could hardly get out of bed at times. It was only when I understood what was happening to be that I gained control and recovered, at least from the health anxiety issue.

Exercise helps a lot and I see you mention Gym - keep it up. I just walk but it works for me. And I keep myself occupied ALL the time.