PDA

View Full Version : Scary looking mole/freckle

Anxiety Jim
11-02-13, 10:29
Hi everyone,

I was posting over the last week about a freckle that I've got that has been growing and itching.

Well I managed to see a GP first thing this morning and he took a good long look at it, and had a look at my other arm to see what my freckles "normally" look like. After a good minute or two of looking he said it looks like a normal "something something" (I can't remember what he said) dermatological condition, but too come back in 1 month to have it checked out again if it's still itching.

He said that it doesn't fit the criteria to be sent to see a dermatologist, but if it still itches in 1 month they'll send me anyway. So I'm a little bit reassured, and know that if in a month it's still a problem I should be seen pretty sharpish. But I'm also worried that he took so long examining it, and will send me off straight away in a month if it's still itching.

I quite often think "once I've seen a doctor I'll be OK". So, the reassurance that I sought has helped in one way and made me worse in another. Which probably shows that seeking medical reassurance isn't the best way to rid yourself of health anxiety, even though it may feel like it is before hand.

:unsure:

Eek
11-02-13, 10:37
He probably took so long looking at it to give it a good examination. If he'd thought there was anything bad about it you'd have been sent to a dermatologist straight away. I imagine he wants to send you off to get it checked in a month if it's still itching just to be sure, but doctors have a good idea what to look for and if they're not sure they'll err on the side of caution and send you along for a second opinion.

Ribbit
11-02-13, 10:41
Lol! I bet the doctor was doing his level best to reassure you that he was taking your worries seriously, and it seems he's managed to make you worry more! I imagine if he'd just dismissed your worries and sent you away you'd be even more panicked at not being taken seriously so do try and relax in that your mole is on his radar and is being 'monitored'.

I am, btw, covered in freckles and moles so I can sympathise when one goes funny!