PDA

View Full Version : Working from home?

ManNeedsHelp
11-02-13, 12:45
Has anybody on here quit their job because of anxiety and worked from home in some manner?

If so, what did you do?

I am looking into this at the moment

Col
11-02-13, 13:49
Hi I'm same!!!! Do u want a buisness partner? Got a BSc, got kids - good experience and very chatty, can drive , can crochet and cook???. Seriously because SNAP I'm looking at this big time!!!! I'm at my wits end dreaming of THAT career and needing money, have u seen my current thread about - return to work - FAIL???????

Fed up, this sucks ! I'm in need of advice or people's experience of home work, urgently!

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Read your other thread just now, we sound similar. I own my own home mortgaged to the frigging hills and hubby is getting more and more short temperd! Hate it ahhhhhh:madness:

ManNeedsHelp
11-02-13, 13:50
Hi Col, I've a BA Hons but going to work is failing for me too, I saw your post, I'm even avoiding any posts about work because they make me worse. I'm maybe dreaming with the working from home thing but people must do it and for people with anxiety it seems a good solution to me.

ricardo
11-02-13, 14:24
Of course it all depends what business you run or work you do.
I have run various businesses from home for over thirty years.
When my general anxiety became too much I made the decision to alter my business to suit my illness, which is not an easy thing to do.I even moved to another country without any great affect on my turnover.
You have to be pretty disciplined if you work like that but on the other hand you can work the hours that suit, and learn to delegate. You can make yourself available at times that are best for you, you can have calls redirected and in this modern age many many people work from home with the benefit of computers and alike who do not have any form of mental illness.
Unfortunately I don't have any degrees as I left school at 16.

ManNeedsHelp
11-02-13, 14:37
Hi Ricardo, thanks for replying. Do you have any tips on getting started? I really have no clue where to begin

ricardo
11-02-13, 15:14
Not an easy question to answer but having read through your initial thread and this one I think those who maybe able to help including myself need to know a bit more about you, such as your age, what really interests you. That is important if thinking of starting your own business, but not of paramount importance.

A huge percentage of businesses fail mainly for two reasons. A lack of understanding of that particular business and not enough groundwork and exploration into the given business and of course lack of finance.

You say you have a BA Hons and also that you owe the bank 10K and you don't really like your job.

I think you are panicking reading through your responses and that in itself will not make your anxiety any better.

You may or may not be suited to work for yourself as there are several things to consider.
I am only guessing but your mental and physical health must come first before you consider to go back to work, look for another job that you may find interesting and one with prospects and then possibly go into business on your own, but I must warn you that the latter is not for everyone as you have to make on the spot decisions sometimes and to an extent it is a gamble
In business I always say "who you know not what you know"

As an aside I will tell you that I have clients of over twenty five years and though I moved over here twelve years ago, they still assume I am in the UK :)

Col
11-02-13, 16:18
Good advice Ricardo. I can imagine home working doesn't suit all, it's just when bills pile up and it causes agro and stress on top of anxiety/panic......it's worth looking at alternative ways to earn a living especially when conventional work fails, as in my case!

ManNeedsHelp
11-02-13, 16:27
Me too. Home working would definitely work for me.

ScheifferB
11-02-13, 20:13
I've worked away from home in foreign countries, I've also worked away from my tranquil welsh town in the big city of London, until recently returning to work for myself from home doing what I'm good at, Voice Acting.

Voice acting and Writing Material is my Therapy, working from home has done me a world of good for my anxiety, but some days it can be a hindered.

mikewales
11-02-13, 20:58
I have run my own businesses for years, and been working from home for about the last 6. If you are thinking of starting your own business be aware that you probably won't make enough to live on for the first couple of years, there is also the added anxiety of never knowing how much you will earn and not having a regular guaranteed income.

There are a lot of benefits working for yourself, and also working from home, but it isn't easy, and isn't really an easy way out of anxiety

Serenitie
11-02-13, 21:14
I believe that before you consider to be self employed you have to be very passionate and or knowledgeable about the field that you plan to work in. Research your market and identify any gaps or niches. Planning, networking, time management, budgeting and discipline are all key skills essential to working for yourself. You also have to be prepared to work very long hours especially in the early days and consider how the pressure of working for yourself and the isolation that working from home often incurs will impact on you and develop strategies around these issues. There are may business start up advisers who can advise you on working for yourself and highlight what considerations you need to make before taking the plunge.

AuntieMoosie
11-02-13, 21:59
I know next to nothing about starting your own business, I can see the attraction but as Ricardo and others have said, it's something you really need to do your homework on. I would think that it would be much more difficult right now, due to the current economic situation that we're in, to get a foot in the door :) As Ricardo has said a lot of it is down to who you know as opposed to what you know.

If it's what you really want to do, I say give it a go, but do your homework first just so as you really know what it all involves, pitfalls and all :)

I wish you every success in whatever you decide to do :)