PDA

View Full Version : How long does diazepam last for and whats the best way to take it?

fawny21
11-02-13, 14:01
Hello. I have been prescribed 2mg diazepam and i took 2 of them last week and was fine, and i will be taking 2 on wednesday.
I have a lot of tattoos and having them done has never been an issues for me however a few months ago i had an anxiety attack while i was at the tattoo shop and hadn't been back since (i was generally going 2-3 times a month prior to this). I think the attack was down to the fact that i was booked in for 7 hours and was feeling very claustrophobic, then i started panicking that i was going to be stuck in this tiny room for so long. Anyway, i ended up leaving after 2 hours and trying to get back there after that was a complete nightmare. Im good friends with my tattooist and he's very understanding and just said to go back whenever i was ready, which was last week. As i said, i had 2 diazepam about an hour before i went and i was fine, although i was only there about 45 minutes so im just wondering if i was there longer, would the effects have started wearing off? I'm going on wednesday for 4 hours and im worrying that the effects of the diazepam will wear off half way through and the same thing will happen again.
Also just wondering if it is best to take one when i get up in the morning then one about 30 minutes before i go, or if its best to take 2 together? Or one the night before and one in the morning? Doctors orders are take one 3 times a day but im just worried that one wont be enough because im really very worried. Sorry for such a long post.

Annie0904
11-02-13, 17:18
I would be inclined to follow the dose recommended by your doctor.

Anxious_gal
11-02-13, 21:02
its rather long acting with a half life-of 20-100 hours and for your body to 100% process all the ingredients and eliminate it, it can take a few days.

I was on a different sedatives, a shorter lasting one, it would work for 12 hours, when it started to wear off I found my anxiety would go up a little bit.

Are you taking them purely to get the tattoos done?

sedatives don't totally get rid of anxiety of anxiety and fear, they just dull it down a bit so you can cope with it better : )

Just stay as long as you can at the tattoo shop, take breaks maybe if you need to you.

ricardo
11-02-13, 21:06
its rather long acting with a half life-of 20-100 hours and for your body to 100% process all the ingredients and eliminate it, it can take a few days.

I was on a different sedatives, a shorter lasting one, it would work for 12 hours, when it started to wear off I found my anxiety would go up a little bit.

sedatives don't totally get rid of anxiety of anxiety and fear, they just dull it down a bit so you can cope with it better : )

Just stay as long as you can at the tattoo shop, take breaks maybe if you need to you.

[QUOTE=Anxious_gal;1117801]its rather long acting with a half life-of 20-100 hours and for your body to 100% process all the ingredients and eliminate it, it can take a few days.

Sorry I disagree it is short life of about 4/5 hours and 2mg is a very low dosage. i have been on them for years at a much higher dosage

Annie0904
11-02-13, 21:10
I agree with Ricardo, I know if I have taken one it helps me to feel calm for about 4 hours. If you are taking three a day though fawny, then I think I would stick with that dose.

nicola1980
11-02-13, 21:21

Hi this is actually true and my physicist confirmed it, diazepam has a very long half life x x

Annie0904
11-02-13, 21:27
Hi this is actually true and my physicist confirmed it, diazepam has a very long half life x x

This is if you take regular doses though, so that it stays in your system? I only take them as and when I need them so I guess they don't stay in my system so long. x

fawny21
11-02-13, 22:24
Thank you for replies :) i'm just concerned that i'll start panicking if i feel any sort of anxiety, if that makes sense.

no not taking it just for tattoos lol :)

Anxious_gal
11-02-13, 22:38
Ah well half life means how long it takes for your body to start breaking it down and getting rid of it, so I guess how long you feel the effects for can be different with each person : )
Wow only 4 to 5 hours? that doesn't seem too long at all.

Annie0904
11-02-13, 22:39
I often use it when I am flying anywhere and I just have 2mg tablets. I take one before the flight and it is usually enough for an up to 4 hour flight. Do you usually take them everyday? If so I would stick to your prescribed dose as anxious gal and Nicola said it will stay in your system. If you just take them like me as and when, then take one before you get there and maybe have an extra one with you 'just in case' as they do take affect quite quickly.

ricardo
12-02-13, 10:29
I think we are talking about two different things here.
Diazepam is very effective and is best taken if necessary half an hour before anything that you feel may make you extremely anxious. it's lasting effect is 4/5 hours.

"its rather long acting with a half life-of 20-100 hours and for your body to 100% process all the ingredients and eliminate it, it can take a few days." This is an inacurate statement.

how long it stays in your system is an entirely different proposition but one could say that about any drug.

It has been proved to be addictive, there is no doubt about that, but used sparingly as opposed to regularly just for the sake of taking the drug,it is extremely helpful.

fawny21
12-02-13, 14:50
im taking it as and when i need it :)

dally
02-03-13, 18:47
Ricardo, with respect, you are very wrong.
the relaxation effect WILL last 4-5 hours
But the chemicals of the drug WILL take up to 100 hours per new dose
to be excreted fully from your body. (With none of the relaxation effect)
Whether you take 1x2 mg once a month or 30mg every day!
Every time you take a new tablet, it takes 100 hours to excrete that new tablet.
That is how people get confused about withdrawal effects. some people think it is anxiety and take another Valium, whereas it could actually be withdrawels from the drug, even though it could be days since you last took one.

However, if you only take Valium once a week or very occasionally, it shouldn't be a problem. They are a very effective and useful drug, but should be used sparingly and carefully.

There are many, many web sites detailing the 100 hours half life of Valium. It is not difficult to find on the web.

If you have anticipatory anxiety, I would take one tab the night before, then 1 30 mins before your appointment.
I also have very occasionally taken Valium 3 times a day for a big event, which calmed me, so that the anticipatory anxiety did not even start. So both methods are good. So perhaps go with what the doc said and take a spare one with you just incase. Good luck and let us know how you get on.