PDA

View Full Version : cbt cant help the past

spottitchsam
11-02-13, 18:55
Hi I've just found out that cbt can not help you with problems from your past,unless they are still happening in your present.like I was abused by my so called best friend's father when I was about 8years old.he shut me in a cupboard and would not let me out until I said I would keep it a secret.hence I can't go in lifts or be in a closed room without sitting near a exit.I have no friend's has I do not like meeting people so I rarely go out unless it's with one of my family.my family are my life.I am going away Monday ~ Friday next week with my 12 year old granddaughter on our own.we go to different entertainment and my granddaughter joins in if she'd wants.if not I try to play golf,skittles,card games,bingo,playing on kindle or join up on Nintendo.I am disabled so I have to pace myself throughout the day.she also plays on the funfair or other rides,I am close by.we have gone on our own for 10 years and I am not going to let this THING take that away from me.hope you are all doing y well.x

Tessar
11-02-13, 20:44
That sounds odd to me as I thought cbt would help in many ways and when used as a technique during therapy has excellent results with helping to combat habits learned of old. It helped me see the link between past and present experiences but therapy in general would certainly help you in dealing with these horrible experiences. You had to endure. Also the places You fear, confined spaces etc CBT would most certainly be of assistance with that I am sure. Was it a health professional that said it to u, if you don't mind me asking ?

paranoidtree
11-02-13, 20:46
CBT has a focus on the present however as with any therapy it will look at your past as well as what is happening with you now. Your present has largely been determined by past experiences so you will therefore need to look at this to identify patterns of behaviour and thoughts which you can therefore act to change in the present (i.e. now)

Also to mention I was also abused as a child and have been having CBT (as well as other types of therapy) in order to overcome some of the anxieties it has left me with however without looking at the abuse I could not begin to understand and therefore change my current safety behaviours.

Annie0904
11-02-13, 20:49
I agree with Tessar and it is certainly helping me to deal with things from my past and get rid of fears they have caused me.
I hope you have a lovely week away with your granddaughter Jean xx

spottitchsam
11-02-13, 21:31
That sounds odd to me as I thought cbt would help in many ways and when used as a technique during therapy has excellent results with helping to combat habits learned of old. It helped me see the link between past and present experiences but therapy in general would certainly help you in dealing with these horrible experiences. You had to endure. Also the places You fear, confined spaces etc CBT would most certainly be of assistance with that I am sure. Was it a health professional that said it to u, if you don't mind me asking ?

Tessar thanks for reply it was a professional that I spoke to on the phone,she said that they only deal with the present not the past.she has put my name down on the list for a interview and said that if this was not suitable for me she would find another group who might be more suitable for me.x

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

CBT has a focus on the present however as with any therapy it will look at your past as well as what is happening with you now. Your present has largely been determined by past experiences so you will therefore need to look at this to identify patterns of behaviour and thoughts which you can therefore act to change in the present (i.e. now)

Also to mention I was also abused as a child and have been having CBT (as well as other types of therapy) in order to overcome some of the anxieties it has left me with however without looking at the abuse I could not begin to understand and therefore change my current safety behaviours.

Thanks for the reply Paranoidtree will give it a try when my name gets to the top of the list,but I might have to change to someone different.I do not like change/meeting new people so I hope they find someone quite quick.x

Tessar
11-02-13, 21:34
Well, it's definitely something you need to deal with, when u r offered the help, please do take it. It's taken me a lifetime to finally confront everything from my past. I ignored it all for way too long so my advice definitely to my one would be.... Put your energies into dealing with it rather than trying to fight it back all the time. Stay intouch won't you.

spottitchsam
11-02-13, 21:37
I agree with Tessar and it is certainly helping me to deal with things from my past and get rid of fears they have caused me.
I hope you have a lovely week away with your granddaughter Jean xx

Annie perhaps different areas deal with different problems.I just hope they can give me a better life with my family they certainly deserve it putting up with me.I am also looking forward to taking my granddaughter to butlins on Monday.x

Annie0904
11-02-13, 21:43
They should do an assessment though Jean to see what type of help you need. maybe if you mention to your doctor that you have things from your past you need to deal with then he may be able to refer you for the appropriate therapy. xx

AuntieMoosie
11-02-13, 21:43
Hello Jean :)

Sorry the CBT wasn't helpful to you but I think you would be much better off and it would also be much more beneficial for you to actually have psychotherapy as opposed to CBT.

With psychotherapy the therapist will work with you throughout all of your issues to do with your childhood, it will make you understand yourself more and understand why you are the person you are. It can really help relieve the pent up emotional pain, sadness, and anger that you have been left with :)

I would recommend that you have some psychotherapy first then after that you can always have CBT which is highly successful in teaching us new skills for coping with our thinking and behaviour in the present.

I've had both therapy's and I have found them both to be very beneficial :) :hugs:

spottitchsam
11-02-13, 21:52
Well, it's definitely something you need to deal with, when u r offered the help, please do take it. It's taken me a lifetime to finally confront everything from my past. I ignored it all for way too long so my advice definitely to my one would be.... Put your energies into dealing with it rather than trying to fight it back all the time. Stay intouch won't you.

Tessar I will give it a try but I hope I stay with the same person all the way through the course.it takes me a while to trust someone and I know that if I get used to someone and they change for whatever reason it will set me back or even put me off going again.x

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

They should do an assessment though Jean to see what type of help you need. maybe if you mention to your doctor that you have things from your past you need to deal with then he may be able to refer you for the appropriate therapy. xx

Annie the lady I spoke to already asked me that question that is why she said that this might not be for me.x

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Hello Jean :)

Sorry the CBT wasn't helpful to you but I think you would be much better off and it would also be much more beneficial for you to actually have psychotherapy as opposed to CBT.

With psychotherapy the therapist will work with you throughout all of your issues to do with your childhood, it will make you understand yourself more and understand why you are the person you are. It can really help relieve the pent up emotional pain, sadness, and anger that you have been left with :)

I would recommend that you have some psychotherapy first then after that you can always have CBT which is highly successful in teaching us new skills for coping with our thinking and behaviour in the present.

I've had both therapy's and I have found them both to be very beneficial :) :hugs:
Hi auntiemoosie.I have not yet started any sort of treatment apart from pills.I only spoke to the person last week and I was told I had to wait for a month or so.x

Annie0904
11-02-13, 21:57
It is psychotherapy that I am having now. I saw someone for 2 weeks then she said that will all the trauma I have had I would need Intense psychotherapy. I had CBT before and it did cover issues from the past but not as in depth as the therapy I am having now. I hope you mangae to get something that can help you deal with this Jean. In the meantime you stay focused on the lovely week away you are going to have soon :) :hugs::hugs:xx

spottitchsam
11-02-13, 22:05
It is psychotherapy that I am having now. I saw someone for 2 weeks then she said that will all the trauma I have had I would need Intense psychotherapy. I had CBT before and it did cover issues from the past but not as in depth as the therapy I am having now. I hope you mangae to get something that can help you deal with this Jean. In the meantime you stay focused on the lovely week away you are going to have soon :) :hugs::hugs:xx

Annie oh you made me cry now,you sound so kind why do some people have to be so awful to us.I think you could be right I do need to get this horrible man out of my life once and for all.x

Annie0904
11-02-13, 22:12
You do Jean, it isn't easy as going through the therapy can also bring a lot back. I have a 90 minute session tomorrow and my therapist has warned me I will find it very emotional but if it helps me deal with those horrible things then it will be worth it. :) :hugs::hugs: x

spottitchsam
11-02-13, 22:21
You do Jean, it isn't easy as going through the therapy can also bring a lot back. I have a 90 minute session tomorrow and my therapist has warned me I will find it very emotional but if it helps me deal with those horrible things then it will be worth it. :) :hugs::hugs: x

Annie all the best for your session tomorrow.I don't know if I could talk about my past without getting upset and I will be frightened in case it brought on a panic attack.x

AuntieMoosie
11-02-13, 22:37
Annie it will be worth it :)

It wont feel like it at the time though, but stick with it. Remember what I said about making sure that you have plenty of support from everyone whilst you're going through it :) :hugs:

Jean I hope it all goes well for you when you have your therapy :hugs:

Annie0904
11-02-13, 22:38
If it brings on a panic attack there is no better person than the therapist to guide you out of it, they help you deal with those too :) x

Magic
11-02-13, 23:20
Annie,
Was it today you started back to work if so how did it go?

Annie0904
12-02-13, 11:29
It went really well Magic, felt like I had never been away :) x