PDA

View Full Version : Dosulepin

Dazza123
11-02-13, 22:27
Im sure this needs to be posted in the meds section, but I cannot see Dosulepin listed, so please move if needed.

I used to take this years ago, it helped with anxiety as its a mild sedative and also gave me a really decent sleep, something Im not getting at the moment.

I then took it again about 2 years ago and after being on it for 6 months or so I started to feel really depressed weirdly, so I stopped.

I then had an appt with Doc who advised it potentially causes heart problems, or more specifically has been found to cause these problems, so they recommended I do not use it again.

The problem is, I feel I need to go back onto it, no other AD works for me, they just make me worse. I have severe dysphagia at the moment, the prescribed antipsychotics do not work so they have been stopped, and they have left me with 10mg of Diazepam a day, nothing else, which not only do not help that much, maybe 10%, they also make it clear they do not want to keep giving them to me, so I have to put up a fight each time because without these id have nothing, therefore id starve to death because I wouldnt be able to eat.

Has anyone heard of the problems caused by Dosulepin? I was told before that if needed I can have a liquid version, which I will go for, but being a diabetic, I do not need more possible heart problems, because diabetes causes this long term also, and id like to live to a decent age before my heart packs in, im only 37 so not ready to go yet. However, my quality of life at the moment is so crap that I cant see it would make any difference.

I am being seen by my Doctor, a Psychiatrist, Speech Therapist, Psychologist, ENT and a Physiotherapist, and although this combination should sort my problem out, I am looking at maybe 3-4 months before therapy wise its going to start to help, and I need help today, right now infact, I cant carry on living the way I am for months, I have had 10 months of it and I am literally getting to the end of my tether now.

Daz.

Annie0904
11-02-13, 22:33
Dazza I have been taking dosulipin for 8 years now. My doctor is letting me continue to take it. I tried changing to SSRI's but they made me worse. The reason that NICE guidelines discourage doctors from prescribing it is that it can cause heart failure in overdose. My doctor knows that I am sensible about my medication so is happy to prescribe it. My dad took it for 30 years and is now 83 and has never had any heart problems. It is only in overdose that it can be fatal and also not recommended for the elderly except in low doses. I upped my dose to 100mg before Christmas but I have now reduced it again to 75mg.

Dazza123
11-02-13, 22:44
Well I don't plan on overdosing so that sounds fine to me. I was on 75mg too, but this time I'm going to do 75 at night and 25 in the morning to start off, just so they get a chance to kick in. In liquid form I should get them down hopefully. I'm sick of taking diazepam now and need something longer term. I'm so tired of the situation I'm in I really need it to stop now, I need a break from it, anxiety is so boring!

Annie0904
11-02-13, 23:10
Dosulipin have worked well for me so I hope they will give you some relieve too.

Dazza123
11-02-13, 23:15
They have before Annie, it's the only one that ever has, and I'm not touching any type of ssri again, horrible evil things make me a million times worse. Great to hear your dad is still going strong, gives me some hope and comfort. Can't wait to see doctor now tomorrow :)

Annie0904
12-02-13, 11:27
Let me know how it goes for you Dazza, I agree with your comment on SSRI's, I hated them.