PDA

View Full Version : am new to this and need some help

ailsajayne
05-09-06, 22:33
hi
Sorry this is a long one!!

i've been suffering from anxiety related breathing problems for a few months now, I've always been an anxious person, prone to thinking something horrible has happened or that i have some really horrible disease, recently i've been starting to feel like my throat is swelling, and my lips etc are tingling, I know im not having a reactiion cos it can happen when ive been no where near food, but it really scares me, I've asked my doc a few times and they keep saying well its not swollen, I've read about people having problems with swallowing and lumps but i just wondered if anyone had the same thing, Its like my tonsils are massive and sticking across my throat, sometimes it hurts as well.... then i get the toungue and lips tingly thing, which always goes away... and sometimes i'll go onto full on feeling of wierdness, followed my not feeling like i get enough air in, and chest pain, I think im just looking for reassurance that this is normal?

I've read through a few threads on here and I AM SO glad i've found a site that makes me realise im not alone in feeling like this... all i get from friends is well stop worrying then you know its not gonna happen, and from the docs a referral but they seem more intent on discovering some horrible hidden secret that makes me worry? has anyone else found this? I dont have a horrible secret, i had a great childhood and have great realtionship with family! I have just always been a worrier... even from being tiny i wouldnt settle til my dad came home from work!!

I'm sorry this was so long, I think i've just opened a floodgate of how im feeling and i think if i can just know that all of this is normal i'll either be ok..... or have some other physical manifestation to deal with!

Ails[:I]

anxious
05-09-06, 23:18
Hi Ails,

welcome to the site. I am too a life long worrier and yes i know what you mean about peolpe thinking its down to some terrible childhood secret. I too had a wonderful childhood but somehow ended up the nervous anxious wreck i am.
I know plenty have suffered the throat thing, globus i think its called and i am sure someone will post some links for you. Really common with anxiety.
Look forward to getting to know you,

anx x

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

Daisybun
05-09-06, 23:26
Hi Ails, I have had these symptoms in the past too. I too was a really bad worrier, got stressed out over things too - bit of a perfectionist me which can make life hard1 i am doing so much better now so please don't give up, just try and accept that you feel lousy because of anxiety and when you learn how to let it just pass you by without it causing you even more anxiety your body will start to unwind a bit and you will start to feel better. It is not an instant fix but it will get better

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Chris X
05-09-06, 23:31
Hi Ails,
I just read your mail and know exactly what you are going through and know it isnt easy as its like ive written it myself.
I've had the same symptoms as you and my doctor gave me the same reply as yours.
I'm happy to say now the symptoms have gone though they do take time to go and sounds to me they are anxiety related as mine were.
Like you im a bit of a worrier and have also had a pretty good upbringing so i cant blame that and found myself trying to find the answer as to why i was getting panic attacks and anxiety.
The truth is we are worriers but that doesnt mean we are always going to be anxious people. I'm glad to say i havent had pa's for years now and my anxiety is well under control although i do now again get alittle anxious but deal with i by re focusing on relaxing which does workfor me.
Have you tried any form of relaxaion ie relaxation tapes or cd's ? or a massage as they are great for releasing some of the tension.
Also cognative therepy is great for helping in re looking at the negatives and changing them to positive thinking.
Try not let it get you down and although its really hard at times there is definatly light at the end of the tunnel though these things sometimes takes time depending on how you see your symptoms. Good luck ,
Chris

yorkylover
06-09-06, 00:00
Hi You have come to the right place,everyone here understands and there all brilliant.No one really undrestands unless they have had these symptoms there selves.And I think most of us here have had some or all of the symptoms you have.Anxiety is horrid and so are the symptoms.
Im always yawning or taking deep breaths.My partner sometimes tells me to breath when Im talking.My shoulders,back and chest always ache through not breathing properly.Along with many other problems.
You are not alone.
Luv [8)]

Ellen XX

ailsajayne
06-09-06, 08:53
Thank you all so much, its so good to hear that its not just me! My doc has recommended me for CBT and im now waiting for the referral process to be complete! I've also been offered the chance to work near my parents for a few wks, and as being with them always helps I've taken the opportunity! thinking back I've had various problems which now seem panic / anxiety related for years, when i was about 13 i had this thing where if i couldnt find something i assumed id swallowed it, I used to worry myself sick over it, It was only when it got truly ridiculous that i told my mum and their jokiness and support made me see how stupid it really was!! So i know i will get over all of this i just now want to make sure i can deal with things in the future! I've been given breathing excercises by the counsellor the in for 4 secs out for 5 one, and im gonna try it esp as my main thing now is feeling like ive got a block in my lungs that stops air gettin in, have had xrays and sats done so i know im gettin the right stuff in!

anyway thank you all so much, I'm definately going to stick around because reading last night other peoples symptoms and worries immediately lifted a weight from my shoulders!!

ails