PDA

View Full Version : The morning from hell...

Dazza123
12-02-13, 10:36
I thought I would see my doctor today, to discuss my problem and see what else short term can be done. My usual doctor wasn't there so I saw a different lady.

Have lots of different therapies arranged, ie speech, physio, CBT etc but these are a longer term help, so Im looking at 2-3 months before they start to help me, and I need more immediate resolution for my dysphagia, and the anxiety related to it. I also wanted to get a prescription for liquid dosulepin, as this has helped in the past for agitation/anxiety and Im hoping it will help again. Cant take the tablet version because I cant swallow them.

Anyway, I go in there and discuss things, and the first thing she says is 'Well, you are not very good at doing what you are told to do are you'

She then goes on to tell me I have ignored 2 letters from the Endoscopy dept at my hospital, and also ignored 3 letters from my diabetic nurse asking me to go in for a review.

I have only ever received 1 letter from the endoscopy dept which was 2 weeks ago, it gave me 14 days to ring and arrange an appt or id be taken off the waiting list. The letter took a week to get to me, and I then rang 10 days later, only to be told I was removed 2 days earlier. My mistake I know, but in a haze of medication, the days all seem to roll into one, so it wasnt the first thing on my mind to get sorted.

With regards to the diabetes, I have never received a letter from my nurse asking me to go in for a review, ever. So have no idea what thats all about, yet im accused of ignorning them when I didnt even know anything had been arranged.

She then went on to tell me that my psychiatrist doesnt want me to take Diazepam any longer, apart from the odd ocassion where I feel I may need it (I take it to relax me enough to be able to eat) I have been on it for 10 months, and yes id love to be able to not take it at all, and sometimes I dont, depending on how anxious I am that day. If I feel I can eat without it then I do so, but a lot of the time I am too anxious to eat so will take it and then eat once it kicks in. It stops the anxiety about choking which is what has happened to me on more than one ocassion when eating.

I have seen 2 Psychiatrists in the past month, the 1st one wanted my dose of Diazepam increased from 10mg per day to at least 20mg, and now this other one is saying I shouldnt be taking it.

So, I went down there to get some help today, with a view of getting better more quickly, and came out furious having been accused of deliberately missing appointments with endoscopy, diabetic nurse, and being told the exact opposite of what my Psychiatrist had told me.

Talk about a bad day, why dont these people just help instead of making things worse?

I am now very anxious about what has just happened, and am also very annoyed, I feel like cancelling my future appts with the speech/physio/cbt, cancelling my next Psych appt and just not bothering with any of them. These people are useless. I woke this morning feeling a bit better about things knowing I was seeing a doctor, and now I just feel a whole lot worse :mad:

Annie0904
12-02-13, 11:59
Could you perhaps request an appointment with your usual doctor. It is probably better as he will know you better. I wouldn't cancel your other appointments you never know, some of them maybe positive. Did she prescribe you the dosulipin?

Col
12-02-13, 12:04
Hi Dazza you know what I read a lot about anal doctors etc on here and it just adds - insult to injury!!!!! Where do they train OR what do they train these people, some seem to have no empathy and to be a doctor/nurse etc surely that's an essential quality to have, I bet they have training day after training day chatting about this, CARE, over coffee and custard creams! When it comes to putting in practice and in certain contexts with individuals with mental health issues, empathy, care , understanding JUST doesn't transpire!!!! It's like your in the minority these days to have a decent doctor!

I'd rebook as soon as with your usual doctor. Takecare

Dazza123
12-02-13, 12:50
Thing is Annie, I have seen this doctor before and she was quite nice, no idea what happened today!! She has told me she will get my doctor to ring me Thursday when she is back, though to be honest I really cant be bothered speaking to any of them anymore, at the moment I feel like telling them all to get stuffed (using stronger words though) If I had missed those appointments or ignored them purposely Id hold my hands up and say sorry, I am a very honest person and cant stand people accusing me of telling lies like she did, that makes me so angry. I am many things, but I am not a liar.

I got the Dosulepin liquid, picking it up later from chemist as it had to be ordered in. The Dr made me promise I wouldnt swig it all back and top myself, I reminded her that due to my swallowing disorder, I couldnt even if I wanted to, stupid woman.

One thing that concerned me Annie is she did mention heart problems again, and not just via overdose, she said it can cause problems anyway. I know we chatted about this yesterday, and your doctor has said different, so I just dont know what to think about it all. Im taking it anyway, will hope to take it for maybe 6 months in the hope that things are better by then, but ive looked on the net and cant find anything regarding the heart concerns with it. What I do know is, it has worked a little for me in the past, and I hope for the same result this time.

Col - Its a joke isnt it, you go in for help and come out feeling worse. The problem is, there isnt a magic cure for us, or a simple tablet they can prescribe, so we are probably considered more difficult and they have no idea what to do with us. She told me if I had high blood pressure (which I do) she could prescribe a simple tablet that would help me, but with mental health its more difficult, so I guess we are just left to our own devices at times. What I do know is, they are all making me feel worse at the moment so they can all take a run and jump off a short cliff. I will take my Dosulepin tonight, hopefully have a decent sleep, and maybe start to feel a bit better from tomorrow onwards. Dosulepin has a calming sedative effect so Im hopeful. I am going to leave the Diazepam alone for a while and just use this, and cross my fingers!!