PDA

View Full Version : Had my CBT assessment session today...

LockedShut
06-09-06, 01:44
I can't believe hope brilliant it was to clear my head and actually start to tell someone about all my problems. I was really nervous. But it went well, I think.

The woman I saw had some concerns. She said that I hadn't properly gotten over the death of my grandmother, and that life for me was very bleak and lonely and low at the moment.

She gave me the option of group therapy, bereavment counselling or one-on-one therapy with some place called Wimbledon Guild (anyone heard of it?) I chose the one-on-one.

She said it'll last for forty-ish weeks and will be really extensive and intense.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is partly to let people know that I guess I'm making progress - I'm getting help. Which is a good thing, apparently!

Second, I was wondering if anyone else has, and some of you probably have, taken one-on-one extensive year long super duper therapy like this? And what I should expect? I still have this paranoid notion that I'll be declared insane and never be allowed around shoelaces again, and have to eat dinner with plastic knives just in case?!

xo

Wenjoy
06-09-06, 07:14
Hi - I am having my cbt assessment this friday and am very nervouse coz I hate being in a closed room with someone - it setsoff my hyperventilation. I am seeking to learn how to control my anxiety - coping strategies - and hope they can help - I just need "tools" for the job to learn how to accept these panic attacks and not fear them. Letus know how you get on as its interesting!!" love wenjoy x

polly daydream
06-09-06, 11:06
Hi, glad you have finally got to see someone, thats great news for you. I haven't actually had any therapy of any kind but would like to wish you the best of luck.

Take care,

Polly

missacorah
07-09-06, 10:07
Hi glad you will be son on the way to recovery you lucky thing!

I have been referred for cbt so am looking forward to getting my appointment through too!

good luck to you!

Hangtough
07-09-06, 13:00
Hey there

I've been having one on one counselling twice a week for a year now and I'm still not there. There comes a point when you realise you can't hurry these things, they have to run their course. You're lucky you're being offered that counselling, and I think it's a really positive step that you're going to take it. But don't worry about the length of time, we're all different, so try to relax a bit and just go with is.

Always around to listen,
Good luck with it,
Hangtough

W.I.F.T.S.
08-09-06, 22:57
It's great that you've got such treatment. I was offered ten one-on-ones and ten group sessions and when we got to the end of them I was expected to feel better, if i didn't then tough, because i was only allowed ten.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Munchkin
11-09-06, 13:02
good luck with it! CBT has been the best thing i've done to combat my phobia, and I hope it works as well for you.

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

LickeyEndBlues
05-10-06, 14:23
Following a referral from my GP after a discussion on the benefits of "talking therapies" (I have previously been on meds and wanted to try something different), I had a phonecall from a CPN offering me a place on a group CBT session. I have to say this threw me completely as I sort of expected a letter with an appointment for some sort of assessment process!! I said I wasn't sure and she said details would come out in a letter and to think about it. Oddly I thought I recognised the voice...I didn't catch her name.

A week later said letter arrived from CPN and yes I had recognised the voice!! Someone who lives locally and I know.....and I don't particularly like!! Coincidently a couple of weeks previously we had shared space in the aisles of a local supermarket without acknowledging one another!!

The letter had a tear off return slip with yes and no options. I ticked "no" and added a couple of lines about my surprise at the phonecall and no assessment.

I have been back to the GP who was surprised at this also and she is making a further referral back to a unit I had previously attended. I have also agreed to try 20mg "Citalopram"/day. I am back at GP in a couple of weeks.

Laisez les bon temp roulez

Johnni
08-10-06, 17:22
Hi
I started my CBT sessions around 6 weeks ago, i have one session everyfortnight and although i am in the early stages i can see that in the long run it will benefit me.
For those that have been doing for longer what sort of exercises have you done?.

LickeyEndBlues
13-10-06, 12:58
Further to mt previous post here I thought I'd share with you the response I received from the CPN

"I am sorry that you will not be attending the CBT group and that you feel that you should have been offered an assessment but on telephoning you directly I spoke of the reason* you were being offered this and that it would not affect your chance of one to one therapy should you choose."

* reason was group therapy would happen quicker as there was a wait for 1-1

It hardly inspires confidence!!

Laisez les bon temp roulez