PDA

View Full Version : Leukoplakia ???

Dubbmented
12-02-13, 12:02
I know I shouldn't be looking for a diagnoses on the net.. But I was hoping someone might be familiar about Leukoplakia ?
I'm scared I have it on my gums in the roof of my mouth.
Or maybe It's always been like that or it's normal ?
I can't see a dentist for a while.. $$

I've attached a picture, to get some reassurance please.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hwgol3&s=6

HypoCanuck
12-02-13, 12:09
It appears you and I have similar mouth symptoms. Based on your picture - which looks awfully similar to mine I would say no you do not have that. I am one of those people who brushes and flosses very frequently and i worry so much about mouth cancer and various things like that..

If you recall we both have our uvula touching out tongues..

I wonder do you smoke? or ingest anything different in your mouth?

I recently quit smoking and i get weird mouth ulcers now and my tongue feels so weird along with the uvula issue.

Dubbmented
12-02-13, 12:18
I do smoke, cut down heaps.. been trying to quit, but has been a battle with all this anxiety and constant worry! It's exhausting..

I rarely drink alcohol..

How long has it been since you quit ? Congrats btw.

I'm just terrified I have the pre-cancerous lesions, I've been googling it and comparing to the whiteness on my gums, and the similarities are freaking me out.

HypoCanuck
12-02-13, 12:28
Oh man i understand completely. One of the reasons I quit smoking - well of course for health reasons but a big reason was because i got white patches on my mouth and on the sides of mouth both sides and especially on the roof of my mouth. I also had these crazy lines on each side. Much of those things have disappeared actually -I have no more white patches (maybe it was oral thrush?) - candidiasis?

I do not think its pre cancerous as i also had it and it appears to be gone now.

Its funny i quit smoking cause i feared what your fearing - and now that i quit I fear i have triggered something - my uvula issue and ulcers...

I read somewhere that sometimes when people quit smoking it can set off medical issues..

Dubbmented
12-02-13, 12:34
That's reassuring It disappeared for you!

That made me laugh, because it's true.. It seems to be never ending. We want to quit, then when we do.. we fear other things.

I could make an app with a dentist to be 100% sure, Or I could wait it out.. I'm not sure.. I need to distract myself !

HypoCanuck
12-02-13, 12:43
Smoking does allot of nasty stuff to ones mouth. The most amazing thing now is my teeth are nice and white and mouth feels generally better - of course the mouth ulcers hurt like hell but even those have dwindled down and now the only thing left is the UVULA thing.

It really does not end - It amazes me how the mind works.

For me i have to play some chess or poker online to get my mind off this stuff.

Dubbmented
12-02-13, 13:03
Just to touch on the UVULA thing a bit more, The doctor who I showed it too.. said some people's are just elongated, nothing wrong with it.

It's only if it gets bothersome, like choking on it, starts to hurt, chronic sore throats etc.. Then a minor surgery can be done to trim it.

Otherwise, I think you're fine :)