PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it shocking how ill people are becoming in this society?

Mark_P
12-02-13, 16:46
As an outsider looking in, you would think that our society is the best ever, but in reality, it's one of the worse for our health.

It's ever changing with new buildings being built, more cars on the roads, crops being artificially tended to, processed/fast foods, stressful, fast moving, expensive price of living etc.

Does anyone wonder why people are becoming more and more ill all the time?

There is no way out of it. It's like a swings and roundabouts, you are just continually moving in the same direction with not much hope at all. It seems that anywhere you go in the world, it's all becoming the same, but isn't this a bad thing?

I mean, sure, improved economies sounds like a good thing for the world as a whole, but sooner or later everyone will be as ill as the next person due to the demands of an ever changing world?

I mean, I'm sure parts of the world like the middle east, Africa, and the Latin Americas don't suffer with illnesses such as anxiety. It only seems to be in the developed countries that there are more cases of depression, anxiety, and a list of other mental illnesses.

Is the world as we know it, doomed?

ricardo
12-02-13, 16:54
Mark

that's a hell of a thread that you have started.
No doubt the world has changed but i feel you generalise too much.

There have been major breakthroughs in the treatment of practically all illnesses yet the world we live in at this present time is one still deep in recession.

I don't want to start a party political discussion as this isn't the right forum for that.

Annie0904
12-02-13, 16:54
I am sure that anxiety levels are very high in the under developed countries but are manifested in different ways, as the support network will not be as developed as in the more developed countries. Anxiety and depression are especially high in woman in underdeveloped countries especially where they are classed as lower class citizens.

Rain
12-02-13, 17:23
I think the key to this whole massive problem can be summed up in one word... 'work'. In rural communities in the old days everyone had a sense of purpose as they had jobs around the farm or whatever to keep them busy. People were skilled at all sorts of jobs from shoeing horses to ploughing to making chairs. You knew what you were going to do every day when you got up and everyone respected you for your skill.

With so many long term out of work now (or in very stressful jobs that don't suit them) we no longer have a strong sense of identity. We see the successful few thriving while we struggle to cope with this mad wolrd that doesn't need us.

It doesn't take a genious to work out that mental problems are sure to follow. The way the developed world is now is un-natural.

Mark_P
12-02-13, 18:24
I am sure that anxiety levels are very high in the under developed countries but are manifested in different ways, as the support network will not be as developed as in the more developed countries. Anxiety and depression are especially high in woman in underdeveloped countries especially where they are classed as lower class citizens.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it's more prevalent in the western society than others. I have searched online about anxiety/depression etc in other countries, but there's never much on it. Now, that could be down to what you mentioned about not being reported as much due there not being as much support, or it could be because it really isn't active in third world continents like Africa.