PDA

View Full Version : Please help, can't go through this again!

Violet1
12-02-13, 20:28
Hi, I'm 33 with a lovely husband and 4 young children. I'm very happy, have a great life However I do have health anxiety. I can be ok for months. In the last 3 years I have been convinced I have had breast cancer, had scan all ok. Cervical and womb cancer, again had tests etc all fine, then stomach cancer, went for endoscopy that my dad actually paid £1500 for as I was so worried. I seem to start off with a little pain which I'm sure is normal, but my brain convinces me it's there and getting worse, then once I have the all clear I feel fine!!!

I am currently worried about bladder cancer. Two weeks ago I got a UTI, not worried, took my antibiotics etc but it never went away, had another lot of antibiotics (both of these were recommended to treat the infection) but I still feel the need to wee all the time. However it is on my mind constantly, and I'm beginning to wonder is I am talking myself into this again. :-( my doctor says my bladder is just irritated and it will go away. But as usual I am freaking out. What is wrong with me, why can't I just have something wrong, have it sorted then move on. I'm worried this will be yet again, months of worry, contant doctor appointments and me so desparate paying out for tests again. I feel like I'm going crazy. When I'm fine, like I said which can be months I dread this moment that a new thing pops into my head as it controls my life and makes me miserable as well as my poor family around me. Any advice in my new worry?? I'm so worried....

Red Flower
12-02-13, 21:33
I think it's tipically health anxiety. Try CBT where they will change the way you think. I'm the same. I had a back pain and I was thinking it's lung cancer, spine cancer, something wrong with my stomach, liver, etc. the list will go on and on and your brain will send you more and more symptoms. And you will look for more and more illnesses and drive yourself crazy (just like me).

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

My pain is so real that even when my husband and sister told me that it's all in my head I could not believe them. I mean I know that our mind and body connected but with anxiety you are looking for the reason and beacuse there is no reason (I mean no illness) so it's endless run.
I think only now I started to realise somewhere deep in my head that it's all anxiety and my brain make me feel the pain or react to the pain this way.
I've done lots of tests and I have my another MRI in March and I'm pretty sure it will be ok but when you are anxious and your thoughts are running round and round you just can't help youself.
I'm going to CBT. I had my first session a week ago. I would recommend a private CBT therapist (as on NHS it's very long waiting list). So better spend your money on changing the way you think but not on all these tests looking for something we have not got.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Before I came to this website few days ago I even didn't know that health anxiety exists. I had the back problem for more than 10 years and had anxiety related to back pain, was scared of my back pain and I was always thinking that the back is my problem. But now I know that my biggest problem is ANXIETY. Because if I'm calm and happy I don't have any back pain or even if I have a little back ache I'm not anxious. But when I'm anxious and all this "what if" make my back pain worse. Can't think about anything else.