PDA

View Full Version : a question on anti depressants

**whenwillthisend**
06-09-06, 11:14
hi everyone...a question for those of you on anti ds, once they have kicked in do they take away the anxiety symptoms?
I am wondering whether to try something has i am not getting better on my own.Most days i dont feel my mood is low, im not depressed, and i dont get many panic attacks now...just days when i feel anxious...and the days i feel not anxious i still get the symptoms
my chest tightness is getting to me now and it wont go
im off to the docs tomorrow, but one doctor wants me to try prozac and the other citalopram....which is best for anxiety?
I thought i could do this but the symptoms are too much now
thanks for reading

mandie
06-09-06, 11:59
hi

i was put on citalopram for my anxiety and it was the best thing for me.

i tried to deal with it on my own, but like you my symptoms got to much.

When i get anxious, i get pains in my chest and feel light headed and spaced out.

Since being on these tablets my anxiety has 99% gone away.

I am worried about whats going to happen when i come off them though.

love mandie x

reddevil
06-09-06, 12:56
Hi,

I have been on amitriptyline for some time.

I still worry about things but it stops me from having tight chest etc.

Red

Ma Larkin
06-09-06, 13:13
I'm on Prozac, been on them for about 4 months now and have just stopped taking Diazepam. The panic attacks have subsided completely (touch wood lol!) and the anxiety has dimished a lot. I'm considering lowering my dosage to maybe one every other day instead of one a day. I would consider anti-deps. I thought no-one could have panic attacks and anxiety as much as I did, but after taking the meds I feel 100% better.

Les

Daisybun
06-09-06, 14:09
I'm on citalopram and i am feeling so much better. no symptoms and I feel very laid back for me lol

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

polly daydream
06-09-06, 15:42
I am on Citalopram 15mg a day, have been for 3 months now and my anxiety has got alot better, feel much more relaxed.

Take care,

Polly

yorkylover
06-09-06, 20:39
Hi Im on citalopram 20mg.It has helped my depression alot,but not my anxiety Im afraid to say.But some medications works for some people and not others.I have been on quite a few before they found one that worked for me.
Take care.[8)]

Ellen XX

net
07-09-06, 15:11
i'm on 20mg prozac a day and while it helps with the depression and anxiety i still need counselling as it doesn't entirely take it away

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

Lindalou64
07-09-06, 15:27
im on paxil................which is in the same family...it hasnt helped my anxiety also but it did get me out of this bad funk i was in i also take klonpin to help the anxiety.......but all meds work different with others.........best to ya Linda

**whenwillthisend**
07-09-06, 15:44
thanx to all whose replied, i am considering meds as some days i just cant cope with the dreaded symptoms, going to gps later will ask him....just gotta make my mind up, im terrified of side effects.....

Allie
07-09-06, 21:13
Hi there!

I'm on Setraline and it has helped my symptoms to some degree!

Having had no luck with drugs like Fluoxetine, Venlafaxine, Clomipramine and Fluvoxamine I though anti deps would never work for me!

However, to truly be rid of any anxiety disorder for good I feel that it is best to combine medication with behavioural therapy as there is no drug that can CURE anxiety conditions, merely mask them.

I began Sertraline at the same time as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and I am making great progress.
I know that my recovery is probably more down to the therapy I am undergoing and the drugs are just a short term solution, to help me as I go through therapy.

Although anti deps will aliviate some of your symptoms they will not take them away completely.

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

jmcb
08-09-06, 14:58
I take Xanac periodically for my anxiety but generally just when it gets to an unmanageable stage. A few days on these brings me level and to a stage where the CBT can kick in and I can get a grip on things. I guess we all react differently to different meds and its what works for us. I dont stay on them for long - for me the short term method generally works as it allows me to calm down a little