PDA

View Full Version : Self-help TV

W.I.F.T.S.
06-09-06, 12:00
I've been watching a bit of self-help TV recently such as " fear of flying", Paul Mckenna and the makeover show "beauty and the geek".

I find it really reassuring and uplifting when these people go through a process and come out the other side feeling euphoric, much more confident and really happy. Wasn't it great when Sherrie Murphy talked herself into sky diving?

I know that I have to put myself out there and to put my trust in myself and also other people and that I will feel much stronger and confident in myself because of the experience.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Wannabeloved85
06-09-06, 13:29
strange though isnt it? youd expect them to stop at self-help books, now theres, cd's, tc, software,courses EVERYTHING! and yet, we still suffer!
Becci x

W.I.F.T.S.
07-09-06, 09:57
Maybe it's my depressed point of view, but it seems like the world is getting more grim and stressful all the time. Did my parents and their parents have such pressure (from the media) to look great, own all the right gadgets, be on the property ladder, be on the right diet, holiday in the right places, be seen in the right clubs? Maybe, because I am so competitive and because I feel the need to be part of the 'in' crowd, I am more susceptible to it.

And there seems so much death in the papers and on the news these days, peadophiles, murderers, rapists.... has it always been like that and I just haven't noticed it? Maybe it's because of the way that I've been feeling that I notice it more. I try and avoid the news these days.

Mental health problems are undoubtedly on the increase and I think that that has a lot to do with the media and, in turn, the effect that it has on society. And, because we're so messed up by it all, there has become a need for self-help tv.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.