PDA

View Full Version : I think I caught palpitations just from coming here

swajj
14-02-13, 08:23
:ohmy: I'm joking...mostly. I come here very infrequently. Probably once or twice a year. I was having problems with urination. I sort of became obsessed with it. The colour, the amount-you name it. So I started coming here again to find out if other people with anxiety had experienced the same or similar. Somewhere I read that it could be a symptom of kidney problems related to a heart problem. I have had very, very infrequent palpitations over the years. But once I started reading people's posts here about palpitations I began to experience them to an alarming degree. So much so that two weeks ago I ended up in the Emergency Department with heart feeling like it was skipping every second beat, sky high blood pressure and a heart rate of 127bpm. I have had BP for 2 years which my doctor assures me is related to my anxiety. Anyway, I told the emergency room doctor this and he made me take 2 Valium. Of course within an hour all vital signs had returned to normal. Ecg was normal...showed a couple of ectopics. Bloods were all normal. I think this place is a source of comfort for many including myself. But I wonder if spending too much time here and reading about everyone's fears can bring on a whole new set of symptoms simply because the seed is planted so to speak. I hope this doesn't come across as somehow being critical of the website or of the people who visit here, because that isn't my intention. I've just found myself wondering about it. I'm so absolutely over dealing with health anxiety. I've got an appointment with a psychiatrist in March. It worked before and I just hope it works again.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

While I'm on the subject...
It worries the hell out of me that I can actually make my blood pressure rise to stroke threshold (not sure what stroke threshold actually is so maybe a bit of exaggeration there...not sure) when there is nothing wrong with my heart. A lot of people say that health anxiety is harmless but that doesn't seem at all harmless to me. I wonder how many people have actually brought on a stroke because they can't control their blood pressure during an anxiety attack?

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

I think I even made the psychiatrist a little crazy 11 years ago when I was at my worst. I remember, along with all my cancers. MS. Motor Neuron Disease, brain tumours, going blind etc etc etc I became fixated on the veins in my arms. They seemed to be sticking out so far. I told the psychiatrist this and he actually looked at the veins in his arms! :ohmy: At that point I wondered if I was in the right place. Luckily for me it turned out I was because within 3 months I started living my life anxiety free.

rebeccad
14-02-13, 09:14
I totally agree this site has been such a comfort to me at times and I can't speak highly enough of it, but I have also read and learnt things about illnesses I have never heard of or symptoms that are signs of things I never knew then of course I started to worry x