PDA

View Full Version : How to stop health anxiety without medication

Lyndz1
15-02-13, 09:55
I get these anxiety episodes now and again. I can go weeks being ok then other times i can be freaking out. Basically i dont want to go on any medication. I'm getting married in 12 weeks and want to enjoy planning it. I wish i could just be normal and not worry all the time

meche
15-02-13, 11:00
Hi Lyndz1,
You are normal! I go through similar episodes. My anxiety started out of the blue about a year ago and I went through an 8 month period of physical and emotional issues. No matter what I did I couldn't shake it off. Having not been to the doctor in about 8 years, I think I went about 6 times in as many months because I was convinced something serious was wrong with me. My mind was occupied by anxiety 24/7! I didn't want to go on medication either and fortunately I had a doctor who was against it. Then slowly I had a revelation. It seemed the busier and more occupied I was, my anxiety would lessen or disappear altogether. I didn't catch on at first but there was a pattern. It was hard but I forced myself to go out with friends and arranged to do things and go places at weekends. 5 months after coming out of the worst year ever, I wouldn't say I was completely anxiety free but I cope with it better. I get bored very easily so I always make sure I have something to look forward to.
Allow yourself an hour a day to worry about whatever is on your mind - then just get on with your day. You're getting married in 12 weeks and should be enjoying it. :bighug1:xx

Sparkle1984
15-02-13, 14:02
Here's a series of free CBT workbooks about health anxiety: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

It's broken up into modules and you can work through them at your own pace. I have been through the workbooks about GAD and panic attacks, so hopefully the ones about health anxiety will be good too.