PDA

View Full Version : Docs again!!

zippy
15-02-13, 13:15
I went to my doctors yet again yesterday about my brain tumour/ms fears. I saw a different gp and he did neuro tests i.e all my reflexes, looked in my eyes, blood pressure and all was ok. He said there was no signs of anything and he would do my bloods to reassure me. He also said if i wanted he would send me for a brain ct scan but said just for reassurance and then said theres the risk of radiation with it.
I just feel so ill and that something is in the side of my head/face thats causing all these symptoms. I woke up last night with my left hand feeling numb with pins and needles and a left sided headache. I am struggling to get up in the morning and when i get up i feel like i have been hit in the side of my face/head, i feel constantly sick and off balance and generally unwell.
I have seen 3 gp's an optician and an ent in the last week and half and i still feel awful and think something is going on.
My gp said if i have something else going on something in my bloods will be sky high.

Ribbit
15-02-13, 14:56
Zippy, I'd go for the scan if I were you. It will (fingers crossed, and most likely) be fine and you can finally find some peace. If it comes back highlighting anything then at least you'll know. Don't worry about the risk of radiation as it is miniscule. The test itself is quite scary (I had a scan as I have a ruptured disc in my neck) but the thought that something is being done will see you through I'm sure.

What a fabulous doctor you have. Not many would refer us health anxious people for such expensive tests just to reassure. I hope you feel better soon x

i love tea
15-02-13, 15:06
I'm afraid I disagree with Ribbit. If the blood tests are fine, I would not ask for a scan - it is a waste of money & limited NHS resources and, if you give in to this need for the reassurance of a scan, how will you manage next time you have anxiety about your health? I think you'd do much better learning how to not let your anxiety get to this stage - what distraction strategies do you have? Do you work or have hobbies that get you out of the house?

I'm really sorry if this sounds harsh but I've been exactly where you are and I really think a scan would be unecessarily wasteful and will set your health anxiety back further in the long run.

Take care x

Dubbmented
15-02-13, 15:08
I personally wouldn't do the scan if all doctors have said your fine. When we obsess over something we tend to create symptoms that are worse then they really are.. and for that amount of radiation for something numerous doctors don't see anything wrong, it's unessary In my opinion.

But hey, if it's going to give you reassurance go for it :)

zippy
15-02-13, 15:20
Yes my gp said wait until Monday and see what the bloods say. I can't function with this head. If it was all over I would think its tension but this has always been on my left side and the pressure/ headaches are getting more severe.
Even though I feel awful I said no to the scan for now.
I don't feel like I can function never mind hobbies. I try and do chores in the house but my head is so bad. I am sitting with an hot water bottle on the side of my head as we speak.

michellemoo
15-02-13, 15:26
Hi just thought I had to message u to tell u I had exactly the same symptoms as u for 2 years ! I was convinced I had a brain tumour my life was horrendous I didn't live for those 2 years I just existed in a bubble of fear that I was going to die. I had lots of tests all normal but I thought the docs had missed something. I just felt so ill I new there had to be something majorly wrong with me . After 2 years my doctor finally sent me for a brain scan ( just to shut me up I think ) I was 100 % convinced they would find a tumour. When I went for the results I could bearly stand through fear of what I thought they were going to tell me. The first thing the consultant said when I got through the door was " you don't have a brain tumour " OMG I could not believe it ! How could I not have ??? I felt so ill. Obviously I was elated and went home in shock. That night though when us come to terms with the fact I wasn't dying from a tumour in my head, I had a terrible emotional breakdown I was a total mess from all the negative thoughts I'd been havin for 2 years released that night. I really thought I would have to be carted off to the nut house I was in such a state ! The next day I went to see my gp who prescribed citalopram for depression and anxiety. U had always refused these tabs before as I didn't think I needed them. I want to tell u I've been where u are and I know how traumatic it is please feel free to message me i will try to help u as much as possible :-) there is a light at the end of that very dark tunnel u just have to keep reaching for it :-)

Anxious_gal
15-02-13, 15:33
Maybe it's TMJ if its all on one side?
What happens when the scan is clear, what will you do then?
You really need to think about that, cause your symptoms will still be there.

meche
15-02-13, 15:43
I wouldn't go for the scan either. I had exactly the same symptoms as you (although mine were on my right side) and I was totally convinced I had some kind of tumour or neuro disease. I had a constant headache for months. For somebody who hadn't been to the doctor in over 8 years, I pestered my doctor 5-6 times in the space of a few weeks. I passed all the neuro tests they make you do and my bloods came back clear. I was so panicked one night that I ended up in A&E having more tests which came back normal.
Roll forward 6 months and I'm my normal self again doing great. I still have odd symptoms that come and go but I have to tell myself that tumours/disease does not present itself like that - if you have a tumour you know about it! I do have an appointment with a chiropractor next month because I think alot of issues stem from my posture and alot of muscle tension. I'm told I walk with one shoulder slightly higher than the other which would explain alot. You'd be amazed by the problems muscle tension can cause.
If you feel reassured by going for a scan then go ahead. For me personally, it would cause me far more panic and stress. I really hope you feel better soon. :bighug1:xx

Dubbmented
15-02-13, 15:44
Anxious_gal makes a good point about TMJ. I was having sever head fullness and pain, especially on my right side. Turns out I was so over stressed and anxious I was clenching my teeth in my sleep and during the day . Causing over work of my Jaw.. Maybe something to look into ?

zippy
15-02-13, 18:14
Thanks for replys. I have looked at vestibular migraine too which fits a lot of my symptoms. I have had an hot water bottle on my head all day.

Ribbit
16-02-13, 11:11
I can only speak from experience - not from head symptoms but from heart ones. I have suffered with palps, missed beats, breathlesness etc for over 15 years. I have always been convinced that something was wrong despite having the odd ECG when the symptoms became unbearable. My doctors did their best to tell me nothing was wrong and whilst I tried to be logical, my mind would just not settle.

Then the unimaginable happened. My mom suffered a heart attack (at a relatively young age) and as she was young, fit and healthy, her consultants recommended all her children be tested as her heart disease could be hereditary instead of down to lifestyle. Well you can imagine I assumed I had been right all along and that there really was something sinister brewing!!!

So I had an echocardiogram and 24 hour trace. They came back clear. Obviuosly the trace showed numerous ectopics but we all know they are harmless to heart health, but scary nonetheless.

I too (like MichelleMoo) suffered an emotional breakdown as the realisation dawned that it really was all in my head, and not a medical problem, but since then I have come on leaps and bounds. I needed to be proved wrong. The fact that I was fully investigated gave me peace of mind to know my symptoms are anxiety and I can try and fight them as such.

Symptoms will often come and go, and if you think you would benefit from the scan in the future then go for it. Proper investigation finally put to rest years of anguish for me and has given me the clarity to see that I suffer with anxiety and it is that that causes my symptoms.

As for now, seeing as you have turned down the scan, maybe you could sit out in the fresh air and try some breathing techniques. I know you said you feel you are unable to function so maybe take small steps, starting with getting outside, even if you are just sitting. xx