PDA

View Full Version : Coming off citalopram - please help

Dudds1983
15-02-13, 13:54
Hi Everyone

I have been on citalopram for 3 months and have just reduced from 30mg to 20mg and now 15mg, i am noticing that i am having horrific dizzyness and feelings of the ground falling from beneath me most of the time, it is so hard at work, i have recently had heart checked, blood tests all fine and my blood pressure, inner ear, and eyes all tested. A while ago i did believe there was something wrong with me. Now i guess i am accepting the anxiety but is this normal to feel these dizzy jolts. I always panic when i get them as i feel i am going to fall over and it is so annoying. I am back at the docs on MOnday and going to ask to change medication as i am struggling so much. Anxiety is the strangest thing but i am lost whether this is anxiety or the meds. Id love any advice i could be give from other people, at the moment im paying money left right and centre and i dont seem to be getting any answers. Many thanks

nomorepanic
15-02-13, 14:26
I will move this to the citalopram forum for you

Dudds1983
15-02-13, 14:40
Thank you - sorry for posting it on the wrong part

nomorepanic
15-02-13, 15:03
It's fine - you posted it under Intros so may not get many replies.

Bel8
21-02-13, 09:20
Hi Dudds,

I was on citalopram for about 9 months. My psychiatrist and I both agreed I was ready to come off of them as I have made some lifestyle changes (changed my job), am in counselling and making good progress, especially in developing healthy coping mechanisms.

If you search my posts (Bel8 - all under citalopram) you will be able to follow the withdrawal. I did not reduce the dosage as slowly as I should have. I got frustrated at feeling mildly ill all the time, so I skipped a few steps. If I could do it all over again, I would take it slower, but seeing as I am already so far in, I am determined to see it through now.

I am now on day 21 medication free. In the morning I am okay, but as the day goes on things seem to get worse, both physically and emotionally. I have not taken any time (except for 2.5 hours) off work for this and in retrospect I should have taken some time off and just rested at home. I have to believe that this is almost over ... general opinion is that Week 1 and 2 are hard and then it gets better, I am on week 3, so it has to start getting better soon.

The brainzaps are getting better but the vertigo and dizziness are still quite bad which result is nausea.

A great help to me has been a post by psychopoet ... used to be called 'A survival guide to citalopram'. It is a candid but hopeful guide.

The correct term is 'discontinuation syndrome' and it can be hard. psychopoet recommends you go up a little bit is dosage, stay there for a while and then reduce again.

I know it can be a bit confusing to know when it is an illness (e.g. flu) and when it is discontinuation syndrome. I am leaning towards discontinuation syndrome for myself for the next while at least. I know I am not a sickly person and also know that I have only been feeling like this since I have started coming off citalopram. That helps.

That being said, if I get worse in terms of flu-like symptoms I may just go and see GP, just to be sure.

I hope that helps,

Bel8

Rachy-Rach
22-02-13, 02:18
The symptoms you state are classic withdrawal. The only way to alleviate them is to slow down the rate that you are comming off it.

It's suggested that you should only cut down your dose between 5-20% at a time. And to stay on such doses for a minimum of a week before cutting down further. You've reduced yours by 30% and then by 25%.

I suggest you speak to your doctor and plan a better regime that will mean a reduction in withdrawal symptoms.

A better regime may be taking each of these doses for a month at a time:
25 mg
20 mg
17.5 mg
15 mg

I know it can be a problem cutting the tablets this small so best to speak to your doctor. I have also just made up that regime as an example. The slower you can come off it the less symptoms you will get.

Good luck x

Bel8
22-02-13, 09:16
Hi Dudds ...

Listen to Rachy-Rach ... do it slowly

Bel8