PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with any experience of blood tests?

Munchlet
15-02-13, 13:58
I posted yesterday about my son who I'm quite worried about.

Well he had to go for a blood test today because he had a viral infection before Christmas which caused some muscle inflammation and it was releasing chemicals into the bloodstream which can cause Kidney damage. He orginally went for the repeat test four weeks ago but apparently there was a mix up and they actually did a FBC and didn't bother testing for the one thing they were actually supposed to be looking at, so he had to go again today.

Now he had some problems at Christmas with them getting the blood but he was poorly and dehydrated so I just put it down to that. Today the nurse put the needle in his arm and the blood was so slowly trickling out and it looked kind of thick? So she gave up and put the needle in his hand and it came out fine and quite quickly but I still thought the blood looked a bit thick (obviously I'm no expert in this)

I asked about the blood being slow etc before and the nurse said sometimes it just happens especially with children, but I'm worrying about it now and why it looked a bit thick.

I asked what they were testing for and she said, bones, kidneys liver and muscle inflammation which has also scared me half to death as I thought they were only looking for one thing.

Does anyone have any experience of this, he has been poorly and I was nagging him to drink more yesterday as he didn't eat anything and did'nt drink much so I know he was probably a bit dehydrated but I just thought it looked a bit thick and I'm now worrying myself silly it's because there's something really wrong.

Any ideas/advice?

nomorepanic
15-02-13, 14:27
I think blood always looks thick when it comes out - sounds normal to me

AuntieMoosie
15-02-13, 15:12
Yes blood usually looks to be on the thick side especially when you see it collecting in a syringe, I'm sure it's perfectly okay though :)

Don't let what they're testing you for frighten you :) Doctors tend to like to test for several things at once for a couple of reasons, one, being that it gives them a clearer picture of how your body is working and secondly, it kind of kills a few birds with one stone so that you don't need to keep having to have blood tests :)

Munchlet
15-02-13, 15:37
Thank you for the replies.

I don't know I'm always looking for things, my mum has lots of blood tests and she has just said she always drinks plenty beforehand because on the odd occasion when she hasn't they've had trouble getting the blood and it has appeared to look thicker.

He was definately a bit dehydrated so I'm sure that didn't help.

Fingers crossed the results will be ok and I will stop fretting!

thanks again xx

Anxiety Jim
15-02-13, 18:01
Whenever I have blood tests I'm always filled with holes afterwards, apparently my veins are a little difficult to find, and if they don't get it quite right it will just dribble out and stop. This happens nearly every time with me, however much I drink before hand, and they nearly always have to resort to taking it out of my hand.

Nothing to worry about.

Munchlet
15-02-13, 19:40
Thank you anxiety Jim, I've actually had a call from the hospital to say all his tests came back normal and he is discharged, phew!!! So obviously was just me and my HA looking for things to worry about again!