PDA

View Full Version : Ddcoo tongue cancer, Week 2 of radiation

Ddcoo
16-02-13, 15:38
Hi all, and welcome to my world of hospital, medication and sleep; that is what it feels like now and I am getting used to the journey to Leeds every day to attend my radiotherapy sessions. I had a bit of a blip on Monday when I was moved to another radiotherapy machine while the one I usually had was being serviced. There are 5 different sections to my treatment delivered by 3 separate heads of the machine. Part 1 delivers 17 rays, part 2 delivers 17 rays, part 3 delivers 15 rays, part 4 delivers 21 rays and part 5 delivers 10 rays; so I count the rays and I know how far I have got through my treatment. Unfortunately on Monday after the 3rd set of rays the machine went quiet, so bearing in mind that I have the face mask clipped to the bed so I cannot move, I lay there for a few minutes and then started to get a bit edgy as the machine was making no noise and the intercom between me and the radiologists was quiet, so I asked if anyone could let me know what was going on and had no reply, so I shouted again but nothing. Then I realised that it I moved my hand they would see me and sure enough one of the girls came through to see me and she explained that the machine was trying to set itself as it wasn't used to my specific programme. She said the machine should start soon, but it didn't and they had to come back to the room to reset it.
I am so pleased I didn't panic as it was unnerving lying there in silence not knowing what was happening.

Also my lovely Macmillan nurse was off sick after falling down a flight of stairs, so she was not there to guide me through. I have managed fine with the mask the rest of the week, but now the effects of the radiology are beginning to take its toll. I have a very dry mouth where the saliva is failing to produce and a sore throat like I have never had before, it is like trying to swallow razor blades and is making it very difficult to eat again, so I will probably spend the next 4 weeks on complan drinks in an effort to get some nourishment. I have already lost 2 stone in weight and look like a scarecrow in my clothes.

Anyway it doesn't make exciting reading this week, but then I knew what was going to happen and I have been given enough medication to sink a battleship, but the painkillers I am on are not strong enough to ease the discomfort of the sore throat, so I will have to use a stronger pain killer and see how I get on with those.

I shall be able to open a small shop soon with the medicines, if anyone needs an Aspirin???

I thank everyone again for supporting me last week and for all your lovely comments and please excuse me if I only post oncea week as I am too tired to do so every day, but please keep jollying me along as I am finding it difficult to cope with this sore throat. All of you know what a sore throat is like I have had in the past where it usually goes away after a few days, but this one will last now until the end of my treatment on 18th March.

My kind regards to you all, I do need you. Love Di x

Annie0904
16-02-13, 15:45
Di, so sorry you are having trouble with the sore throat. The weeks are passing by though. Maybe not quickly enough for you. Sending you more hugs.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bigh ug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug ::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:: bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bi ghug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

pinkdove
16-02-13, 16:37
di what a brave inspirational lady you are, i am praying for you in your recovery and sending you huge :bighug1: take care hunni, and rest xxxx

AuntieMoosie
16-02-13, 19:19
Aww Di that must have been scary for you hun, but you did great, you are so brave:yesyes:

You just post when you feel able too, we all know that you must be feeling very unwell with all this treatment that you're having and we wouldn't expect you to be on here posting hun :)

I'm sending you lots of hugs of support and comfort Di :hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1:

Tish
16-02-13, 19:37
You're in my thoughts Di and how I wish we could take some of that pain away for you. Sending massive hugs and love to you :bighug1:xx

rated_r90
16-02-13, 21:15
Keep going Di! We are all supporting you.

cattia
16-02-13, 21:52
Well done Di, you are doing such a great job! The treatment sounds hard but you are staying strong and positive. Is there anything else that will help with the sore throat, like any sprays or anything like that they can give you? I remember having really bad tonsilitis once and that was only for a week so I can't imagine how hard it must be, just keep your end goal in sight and know that we are all thinking of you and willing you to keep getting stronger x

Justinf
16-02-13, 23:49
Sore throats are the worst. I feel for you Di.
As always, I look forward to your updates and I am glad you are coping just fine. You will get through the other side of this.
On a different note, I credit you with my cricket performance yesterday. I took 5 wickets for 8 runs off 8 overs, albeit against a team of kids and geriatrics, but hey, I'm not complaining. all this wouldn't be possible without you.

Anxious_gal
17-02-13, 01:46
Aw it sucks you had to use a new machine when you were just getting used to the other one.
Well done for staying calm and thinking of raising your arm so the nurses would see you.
Even a minute is a minute too long to be feeling trapped on that table, you did great! :)

So sorry to hear about your nurse, terrible news, I hope she'll be ok.

Ugh that doesn't sound nice at all, dry mouth and throat :( I guess it's uncomfortable most of the time, n making swallowing harder..
Once the treatment is over you'll gain weight back. It must be hard too dealing with the changes to your weight too.

Complan is good, full of vitamins.
Honey or even warm milk n some honey might help ease your throat.
I remember you saying you had to rise with some type of medicine before you could eat.

It's an awful side effect, but it will be worth in the end. The pay off is being alive and healthy :)

It's good you knew what to expect but going through it, living and feeling it is totally different. I don't think anyone can be fully prepared.

I hope stronger painkillers will help your throat, I find pain medication can often take the edge off the anxiety as well.

It's great you're posting at all and updating us :)

I hope you're at least able to sleep, sometimes sleep is a welcome relief when you're not feeling well.

Take care x

jessicalittler79
17-02-13, 02:49
just wanted u to know I am praying for u to have a speedy recovery ...u are so brave and strong ...I wish u luck tc xx

Tessar
17-02-13, 08:49
Hmmmmn hospital, medication and sleep ...... that is a very alien world ddcoo. Its evident from your posts each week that you are resilient. At one point you werent sure if youd manage the the journeys to Leeds but now you are there doing it. I doubt I'd have liked it being moved to another machine.
It's amazing how well you know the treatment and the machine. But I definitely feel being aware of what's going on and what it does is worthwhile. But after getting used to where you go and managing that, it was really, really unfortunate the machine chose to have a wobble. Typical of course that in turn that lead to you feeling pretty edgy to say the least:frown:. I'm surprised they didnt come through to explain but I can only think they thought it would start working again at any second. But yeah that must have seemed like a long time with it being silent. Considering you didnt know if you'd cope with the mask full stop, you showed true resourcefulness here that in a moment of high stress you thought of something very ingenious so they knew you werent ok. I am really impressed with how you achieved all this which is why we all keep saying how you are courageous, brave and so on. It's coz you are!:bighug1:
I cant believe what's happened with your Macmillan nurse was off sick and what an unfortunate accident that happened to her. I'm so proud of how you are managing with the mask though. I have tried to imagine how this all feels for you, its really must be very unpleasant now the side-effects are kicking-in. I suppose the longer it goes on and they dont happen you sort of hope it wont be that way, but you would certainly be well advised to accept stronger pain killers, I really hope they can make a difference.
It matters not if your updates are an exciting read or not - everyone looks forward to hearing from you because like we keep saying you are an inspiration. You must be rattling now with all that medication. When you open your medicine shop, everyone will want to visit coz that means they'll get to meet you!
Me & my army of Smilie friends are thinking about you, ddcooooooooooooo. The one on the end is me coz it's a little bit mad.
:bighug1::bighug::hugs::bighug1::bighug::w00t2:

Eek
17-02-13, 12:07
Two weeks down, you're a third of the way there, one more week and you're half way :) Sorry to hear about your setbacks, at least your machine was only being serviced so hopefully you got it back the next day. And your MacMillan nurse, I hope she's OK what a terrible accident.

The pain in your throat sounds unpleasant, you're so brave I admire you. I only wish I could be half as brave with my imagined ailments as you are with your genuine one. You're an inspiration to us all Di, :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1:

Magic
17-02-13, 14:20
Sending you love and hugs. I cannot add to what all have said. BRAVE BRAVE lady
All the best xxxx:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::yesyes:

Col
17-02-13, 21:10
Hi Di, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!! GOD BLESS YOU! REST AND YOU KEEP GOING XXX:flowers:

SamanthaAU
18-02-13, 13:09
Huge hugs brave lady. I felt panicked just reading what happened with the machine, so I can only imagine how it felt for you. Give yourself a big pat on the back for staying in control!!

Have you spoken to a doctor about the amount of pain you are in? Can they give you something stronger??

I think about you all the time, and am only really popping my head in to check up on you. Lots an lots of love Di, Mwah xxx

swgrl09
18-02-13, 13:21
:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

RosieXXX
19-02-13, 19:14
Hello Di,

I have been thinking about you, and wishing you all the best. It seems to me you are coping amazingly well. I do hope you have managed to get some stronger pain relief for your sore throat - that must be so very hard to bear. Just remember with each passing day you are getting closer to the end of your treatment, and Spring is just around the corner when you will be able to relax and take your time recuperating. :bighug1:

Grey.
19-02-13, 23:38
You are really brave :) there's no way I would of stayed that calm if that happened to me, I'd of been panicking as soon as they left me alone. Stay strong :)

Twinsmummy
20-02-13, 13:10
You are in my prayers too Di. I hope time passes quickly and am so sorry about your throat, maybe some ice water would help?

Sending you positive thoughts.
Cx